Boating acronyms

RichM

Featured Posts

CEVNI Code Européen des Voies de la Navigation Intérieure (French: European Code for Inland Waterways)  

ICC   International Certificate of Competence

SOLAS  The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea 

LOA  Length Over All

LWL Length at Water Line

BHP Brake Horse Power

HP Horse Power 

MARPOL International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships

Edited by MartynG
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

Does that include NBTA which can have a multitude of meanings?

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

The Baton Twirlers have had quite a few mentions on the site over the years.

No

Boats

Travel

Anywhere

National

Boats always

Tied up

Association

National

Baton 

Twirlers

Association

Oasis Twirlstars - About Us

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

I always thought acronyms were only those abbreviations taken from the first letters of the words contained in them, that could be pronounced as a word, not just read out as letters.

So NABO is an acronym but NB, RCD or CRT aren't, unless the last one is pronounced as the word CaRT.

That's my understanding of acronyms anyway.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

I always thought acronyms were only those abbreviations taken from the first letters of the words contained in them, that could be pronounced as a word, not just read out as letters.

So NABO is an acronym but NB, RCD or CRT aren't, unless the last one is pronounced as the word CaRT.

As the registered name is Canal & River Trust, the only reason why CRT have dropped the & is because of a lack of thought & imagination in the Marketing Department when coming up with the name - who'd have thunk it, no one would come up with "putting the C&RT before the horse" or "now were are in the C&RT", or "the wheel has fallen off the C&RT"

Screenshot (178).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

Exactly so. NB, IWA, RCD, BBC etc are initialisms

Tam

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

image.png.777612016cd7d1fa35f1c2b5ec671a74.png

• Greenie 1

According to Gyles Brandreth:

”Some style guides now advocate only using capitals throughout for acronyms where the letters are individually pronounced - e.g. they would capitalise all of ‘BBC’ and ‘EU’ but only the first letters in ‘Nato’ or ‘Nasa’. Because it’s what now happens, I accept it, but I do not approve.  I think putting each letter in capitals is a useful reminder that it is part of an acronym.”

Gyles considers himself a bit of an authority on the English language, and seems to accept that a run of initial letters is an acronym.  As for NATO or Nato,  Apple autocorrect prefers the former also.  What do you prefer?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, dor said:

According to Gyles Brandreth:

”Some style guides now advocate only using capitals throughout for acronyms where the letters are individually pronounced - e.g. they would capitalise all of ‘BBC’ and ‘EU’ but only the first letters in ‘Nato’ or ‘Nasa’. Because it’s what now happens, I accept it, but I do not approve.  I think putting each letter in capitals is a useful reminder that it is part of an acronym.”

Gyles considers himself a bit of an authority on the English language, and seems to accept that a run of initial letters is an acronym.  As for NATO or Nato,  Apple autocorrect prefers the former also.  What do you prefer?

I prefer NATO but if I follow what I was taught at school I would have to type N.A.T.O.

Nato reads to my ancient brain as if it was pronounced nat-o.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Jerra said:

I prefer NATO but if I follow what I was taught at school I would have to type N.A.T.O.

Nato reads to my ancient brain as if it was pronounced nat-o.

You don't want to do that, you might accidentally find yourself eating natto...

For those unaware, a Japanese delicacy consisting of fermented soybeans coated in sticky slimy stinky snot. Traditionally served cold for breakfast in a bowl, with a raw egg broken into a hollow in the middle. We used it as the last stage in a food boat race once, some people either gagged or threw up trying to eat it. Very much an acquired taste ?

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1