Boating acronyms

RichM

Featured Posts

Hi 

I’d be grateful if members could use this topic to submit any common acronyms (along with their meaning) related to boating or our waterways, or even related subjects. (E.g electrical/plumbing) so we can populate the database with useful tool tips for the benefit of other members. 

Thanks in advance 

5 minutes ago, RichM said:

Hi 

I’d be grateful if members could use this topic to submit any common acronyms related to boating or our waterways, or even related subjects. (E.g electrical/plumbing) so we can populate the database with useful tool tips for the benefit of other members. 

Thanks in advance 

Please can you explain the purpose of tool tips.

Thanks

• Greenie 1

Just now, David Mack said:

Well I can see they have a dotted underline, but nothing happens when I touch them on the phone - Samsung browser. Makes no difference whether I am using Legacy or Default theme. 

Same, it seems to be a desktop feature only though I’ve not tested it on a tablet. Sorry!

Ironically I needed to create a topic for mobile device/testing purposes which is half the point of this topic but thought I may as well post something productive. - appreciate there’s bigger things we also need to look at.

9 minutes ago, RichM said:

No problem: Hover your mouse pointer over the below for example:

Nb

CRT

BCN

WB

Not urgent by any means but no doubt will prove useful to some and I thought the topic may be a bit of fun too. 

Nothing happened.  Laptop running Windows 10, Chrome browser.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

Well I can see they have a dotted underline, but nothing happens when I touch them on the phone - Samsung browser. Makes no difference whether I am using Legacy or Default theme. 

It is a feature that should work on interfaces with mouse pointers on the screen. Hover over the word and the acronym is expanded. There is an html tag called <abbr>, short for abbreviation, which I am guessing that the forum is using. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on phone/tablet style screens.

Jenny

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

only problem is where you have an acronym with multiple options, for example;

Nb - Narrowboat

Nb - Nota bene, used extensively to show importance of part of text especially in legal documents

Nb - In modern society short for Non Binary for gender identity

Nb - New Brunswick if you're Canadian

on a platform where you can't hover it could be taken out of context possibly?

useful for common text-speak terms that some are not used to with things like AFAIK, ISTR, AFAIAA, TLDR, etc.

PRV  Pressure Relief Valve.

MCB  Miniature Circuit Breaker.

RCD Residual Current Device.

RCCB Residual Current Circuit Breaker.

RCBO Residual Current Circuit Breaker with Over Current.

VSR Voltage Sensitive Relay.

I'll think of more later, great idea by the way.

Tracy.

29 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Which is exactly what I've got and it doesn't work!

All I do is to move the cursor over the abbreviation, don't click anything and after a very short time, the word appears

20 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

nly problem is where you have an acronym with multiple options, for example;

Nb - Narrowboat

Nb - Nota bene, used extensively to show importance of part of text especially in legal documents

Nb - In modern society short for Non Binary for gender identity

Nb - New Brunswick if you're Canadian

Even on this, hover above Nb in all 4 cases, Narrowboat shows.

IWA - Inland Waterways Association

RCHS - Railway and Canal Historical Society 

FMC - Fellows, Morton and Clayton

WI - Waterways Ireland

EA - Environment Agency

TLA - Three letter acronym ;) 

Confusion is possible, I had a brief but engaging correspondence with the treasurer of the Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society due to a minor error in an email address

21 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Even on this, hover above Nb in all 4 cases, Narrowboat shows.

my point is, when you're on a mouseless device that you can't hover with and are faced with an acronym with multiple possibilities the feature becomes redundant.

perhaps i'm just used to looking at things and thinking how would someone with no clue view it, comes from years of writing idiot-style guides to things

• Greenie 2