Site Problems This evening

RichM

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, RichM said:

Evening,

The people who develop the forum software (Invision) released a critical security patch which needed to be applied. This was applied and there is no security risk. However, we got a little more than we bargained for in that the upgrade script updated Invision to the next major release... This was obviously not intentional or planned and explains the differences you see on the site.

I had a choice of keeping the site offline for an extended period while we work to fix this, or bringing it back online in its current state so that members have some functionality at least while we continue to iron out the anomalies. We will work over the coming hours/days to fix things, particularly to the design/layout.

Really apologise for this as it wasn't planned and probably my mistake. I trust some good will come of this though and I will keep you updated. 

Thank you for your patience/understanding.

RichM

Many thanks for your continued hard work on our behalf.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, RichM said:

We will work over the coming hours/days to fix things, particularly to the design/layout.

The CSS is fixing the font size, much smaller than it used to be - 13px according to inspector.

To use it on a distant screen - like a boat TV for example! - I've had to zoom so much that it's gone into reactive display mode and I get the mobile menu at the bottom not the desktop version.

I used to use the site at 125% zoom but now need to use 175% or 200% zoom.

25 minutes ago, RichM said:

Evening,

The people who develop the forum software (Invision) released a critical security patch which needed to be applied. This was applied and there is no security risk. However, we got a little more than we bargained for in that the upgrade script updated Invision to the next major release... This was obviously not intentional or planned and explains the differences you see on the site.

I had a choice of keeping the site offline for an extended period while we work to fix this, or bringing it back online in its current state so that members have some functionality at least while we continue to iron out the anomalies. We will work over the coming hours/days to fix things, particularly to the design/layout.

Really apologise for this as it wasn't planned and probably my mistake. I trust some good will come of this though and I will keep you updated. 

Thank you for your patience/understanding.

RichM

Thank you for everything you've done recently and in the past . However, when you have the time and not before could you please translate your first sentence into English.

Frank, AKA Slim AKA a luddite 

10 minutes ago, Slim said:

...when you have the time and not before could you please translate your first sentence into English...

There was what was flagged 'security update' to the software, something which is done reasonably often and without any other major changes. However somewhat unexpectedly it wasn't just a minor version update to patch in an update, but a major revision update to version 4.5 which comes with a significant change in appearance as well as a few other things which need accounting for. 

10 minutes ago, Slim said:

Thank you for everything you've done recently and in the past...

Echo this.

Rich and the site Moderators do an amazing amount of work to keep the site running on a day to day basis. 

Often just a few minutes here and there, but it adds up over the weeks and months, and often comes without warning when you had other plans, perhaps no more so than tonight!

Thanks lot Richard.

Daniel

Also if you want to read different pages on a topic you have to click on a faded box that states the pages and inset a 1,2,3 or whichever in the box to get it and then click on GO. Bit awkward really.    But hey Thank you Rich.

Edited by bizzard

8 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Also if you want to read different pages on a topic you have to click on a faded box that states the pages and inset a 1,2,3 or whichever in the box to get it and then click on GO. Bit awkward really.    But hey Thank you Rich.

The page numbers and arrows are still there, but hard to see in a dark grey font on a mid grey background.

2 minutes ago, alias said:

The page numbers and arrows are still there, but hard to see in a dark grey font on a mid grey background.

Yes but if you click on it a box shows and you have to insert your choice of page number and press GO.

3 minutes ago, alias said:

Yes, there are a few bits like this, which I expect is where our manual 'tweaks' to the colours to improve contrast etc on the previous version have clashed with this versions defaults elsewhere in the colour pallet, this will be resolved in due coarse.

Daniel

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Yes but if you click on it a box shows and you have to insert your choice of page number and press GO.

image.png.269a946bfc9157f1d0424ad1ad248694.png

To the left of "Page n of 131" there are clickable page numbers barely visible against the background (when not highlighted like this example).

Edited by alias

The longer threads have developed a BIG righthand sidebar.

On the third page - over 50 posts??

This makes all the pictures smaller. As I like pictures, I think they deserve to be as big as possible. Is there a format option to turn off this sidebar? It is mostly whitespace below the information at the top, and it doesn't appear on the shorter threads.