Connecting temporary solar battery charger

NBDensie

Featured Posts

I bought a solar battery charger to keep the batteries going during the winter.  The panel is wired into the controller which is wired to the battery terminals.  To make setup and removal easier I would like to put an unpluggable connector on the cable between the panel and the charger.  The right thing for the job seemed to be an Anderson connector which seems to be what caravanners use..

However I cannot see how to connect the cable to the terminals which in turn plug into the connector.  They seem to be made of solid stainless steel or perhaps aluminium so there is no way they can be crimped to the cable.  Any ideas? Can one buy terminals which can be crimped?  Are there other connectors which will do the job?

MJany thanks.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Bad idea! Never connect or disconnect the controller to/from the battery while the panel is connected to the controller. If you do, the controller may well be damaged.

He's suggesting unplugging the panel from the controller, which is safe, not controller from the batteries, with the panel still connected, which isn't.

@NBDensie, could you post a picture of the terminals? Which ones is it you are trying to use? Anderson make a lot of different connectors!

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Why not use MC4 connectors, which are used extensively in solar installations. You need a cheap and simple key to separate them but it's not difficult and if it's a winter thing, you ain't gonna be doing it too often.

I've never needed a tool to separate them. Fingers do the job! You just need to know where to squeeze!