Back Boiler And Webasto - Feeding Radiators

Smitty Ely

Featured Posts

We have a Webasto and a Morso Squirrel with back Boiler on the same water circuit.  We have a pump for the system to circulate the hot water from the boiler, and a header tank for the return and feed water.  Can we run both at the same time or will this cause an issue for the Webasto?

First year onboard, any help or advice would be appreciated!

49 minutes ago, Smitty Ely said:

We have a Webasto and a Morso Squirrel with back Boiler on the same water circuit.  We have a pump for the system to circulate the hot water from the boiler, and a header tank for the return and feed water.  Can we run both at the same time or will this cause an issue for the Webasto?

A lot depends exactly how it is plumbed. If the pumps oppose one another, circulation will suffer and the Webasto may get upset.

I suggest you carefully try putting the Webasto on once the Squirrel is going and see if the water all flows the same way.

58 minutes ago, Smitty Ely said:

As the Ebekunibastos don't seem to like running on low load/cycling I suspect you will be risking carbon problems.

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A lot depends exactly how it is plumbed. If the pumps oppose one another, circulation will suffer and the Webasto may get upset.

I suggest you carefully try putting the Webasto on once the Squirrel is going and see if the water all flows the same way.

Thanks for advice.  I actually did it the other way round and felt the radiators were not getting as hot as normal and stopping and starting.  I guess this could be the Webasto getting upset?

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

As the Ebekunibastos don't seem to like running on low load/cycling I suspect you will be risking carbon problems.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I think you might be right as the Webasto was shutting down and the rads were cooler.

On 17/01/2021 at 16:42, Smitty Ely said:

Are you talking about having two pumps operating at the same time? I imagine this would be a bad idea, but when you say boiler I'm not sure if you mean the Webasto or the back boiler of the stove?

Assuming the back boiler is pumped then I'd only use that pump when the Webasto isn't operating. Also as Tony has said, diesel heaters don't like being fed with hot water. When this happens they start to shut down and coke up. Really they need to be kept running hard to avoid this. Many people have this problem because they don't have enough radiators in their CH system so warm or hot water returns to the heater which will then partially shut down. 

What you're suggesting is adding to that by effectively running your stove into the Webasto. So if I were you I'd only run the Webasto if the stove isn't on or if the stove has just been lit and the system is still cold you should be ok.