Eberspacher run out of fuel

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

Due to Coronavirus restrictions I have been unable to visit my boat since Autumn, and it looks like it will be some time before the travel restrictions are eased.

I have an Eberspacher Hydronic heater (about a year old). It is on a frost control setting and has been running over winter. I am told that it has now run out of fuel. 
Are there any set procedures to start it up again? The previous model would lock out after a number of attempts to start up and had to be reset by a dealer. Don’t know about more recent models.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Derek,

Nearly 2 weeks on now but if you still need to know, I would advise drawing diesel through the fuel line as far as the Eberspacher pump connection before attempting to start the heater.

Do this by disconnecting the fuel line at the pump and let it dribble into a container until pure fuel comes out with no air.

Turn it off at the cock/valve and put your finger over the end then reconnect to the pump.

Your heater should then be able to start up either 1st or 2nd try as long as the remaining diesel pipe, from the pump to the heater, is less than 12" long.

Not sure about the Eberspacher but, some heater controllers have a fuel pump priming function which allows you to run the pump independently without starting the heater.

This is for commissioning and is sometimes not an accessible feature for end users.

Andy.

Many thanks for that, Andy. I still am not allowed to travel to/visit our boat but suspect in the meantime the heating system will have tried to start up several times as overnight temperatures have dipped below freezing.

Pretty sure from neighbouring boat reports that the heater has not kicked in.  I will certainly try to prime the pump when we are allowed to visit.

Thanks again.

Hi Derek,

Once the heater has failed to start and locked out on flame failure, it won't attempt any further restarts until it is reset, usually by disconnecting the permanent power supply for a few seconds.

Andy.

• 2 months later...