Notice Alert

Shropshire Union Canal
Starts At: Bridge 79, Moss Hall
Ends At: Bridge 82, Coole Lane

Friday 15 January 2021 13:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Structure failure

Update on 15/01/2021:

In addition to the stop planks, a cofferdam has been placed on site at Bridge 80, Bennetts Bridge on the Shropshire Union Canal which has allowed our teams to stem the flow of the leak.

Our contractors will be back onsite tomorrow to continue works and a further update will be provided Monday 18 January.

Update on 15/01/2021:

Please be advised, following further inspection it is no longer a breach but a significant leak at Bridge 80, Bennetts Bridge, navigation remains closed between Bridge 79, Moss Hall and Bridge 82, Coole Lane on the Shropshire Union Canal.

Our engineer is onsite and stop planks are being installed at Bridge 80 to enable our team to apply clay to the affected area.

A further update will be provided this afternoon

Looks to me as though the culvert from the spillway has collapsed.  Not a quick fix with a couple of buckets of clay.

The hole is on the towpath side, opposite the spillway.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any updates on this, or any ideas whether it will be repaired before we can stay on and travel on boats, i.e. April 12th?

Didn't see any dates or forecasts of dates on CRT notice,  unless I'm missing something. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/19018-bridge-80-bennetts-bridge-shropshire-union-canal

2 minutes ago, Jonkx said:

Anyone have any updates on this, or any ideas whether it will be repaired before we can stay on and travel on boats, i.e. April 12th?

Didn't see any dates or forecasts of dates on CRT notice,  unless I'm missing something. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/19018-bridge-80-bennetts-bridge-shropshire-union-canal

An update due on Friday 5th March.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news,  it's open.

Update on 31/03/2021:

Many weeks of hard work by our engineers and contractors have allowed us to make excellent progress on the repairs to the culvert at Bridge 80, Bennetts Bridge on the Shropshire Union Canal. The new culvert and bed repair have now been completed. We are pleased to confirm that the canal will reopen to navigation at 4pm today, 31 March.

Towpath diversions will remain in place as works to reinstate the towpath continue after Easter. An update will be provided on Friday, 9 April.

We would like to extend our thanks to our neighbours at Overwater Marina and Mill Lane for their patience and support throughout the project.

4 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

On the Peak Forest we are locked in both ways with Anderton and the Macclesfield Culvert Stoppage. Another summer wasted by the looks of things

Is it actually expected that both those stoppages will remain in place for the summer?  That is anoying if it is the case.  Am I also right in thinking that the L&L has stoppages, go going via the Trent is not an option either?

23 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

On the Peak Forest we are locked in both ways with Anderton and the Macclesfield Culvert Stoppage. Another summer wasted by the looks of things

Go the other way ...  Ashton, Huddersfield or Rochdale.

20 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Am I also right in thinking that the L&L has stoppages, go going via the Trent is not an option either?

Not long term known ones.  Passage through Figure of Three on the C&H  should be running in a couple of weeks and they've already announced the daily passage times for the A&C/New Junction.

Not immensely helpful if you are full length, but the ship canal is an option in that case.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not long term known ones.  Passage through Figure of Three on the C&H  should be running in a couple of weeks and they've already announced the daily passage times for the A&C/New Junction.

Not immensely helpful if you are full length, but the ship canal is an option in that case.

I think if Anderton is not fixed, we may change our plan.

Edited by john6767

Rumours on Facebook were that a CRT man told someone the Macc stoppage could be about 2 months. CRT did hint on the Macc zoom presentation that they hoped to have some sort of supervised transit arrangement at the Anderton landslide in place at some point in the summer.?‍♂️ I toyed with the idea of the ship canal but decided it would be quicker to head up the Trent now that way to the L&L is open at least.