New build

Featured Posts

Fit a generator????    The only generator that would do anything like would be a biggish diesel. If your going to fit a biggish diesel you might just as well fit a proper diesel engine in the first place.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, pete.i said:

Fit a generator????    The only generator that would do anything like would be a biggish diesel. If your going to fit a biggish diesel you might just as well fit a proper diesel engine in the first place.

No my genny is 460cc and produces 6kw the boat requires 3.3 kw to cruise so work  it out, plus I have 4.6kw of solar so why bother with a 2.2 litre diesel engine?

• Greenie 1

If you really want a new build visit as least 5 builders. Don’t get carried away by the YouTube brigade pissing up the boat builders backs (those that know know who I mean). Research what you want and put a spec together to get a quote that you can stick to.  Think about the stage payment plan to make sure it’s right for you. Also try to look into the history and visit company house. Many a so called reputable builder has gone bust leaving those who have builds in progress with lots of problems. Make sure you like the builder as it’s important you can get on with them (yep I dismissed a builder because I simply didn’t like them). If you get all these things right it can be an enjoyable process, get some wrong and you can have a worrying time. 

thanks guys - apologies for not replying or thanking any of the comments above ... but it seemed that my new membership didnt have the permissions to do so (allsorted now thanks RichM - and thanks Athy for the direction and useful comment 

anyway in the meantime the whole conversation seems to have drifted back into a diesel vs electric future debate !  - not what i was after 

an appoloduck search for 2019/20 models for £100000 finds various new builds (I appreciate that you can spend a whole lot more, and i may be able to, and liekly go for 'nearly new'), and i was simply  hoping for recommendations of quality and particular builders....  not a power drive debate 

thanks all  

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Nelly Mac said:

thanks guys - apologies for not replying or thanking any of the comments above ... but it seemed that my new membership didnt have the permissions to do so (allsorted now thanks RichM - and thanks Athy for the direction and useful comment 

anyway in the meantime the whole conversation seems to have drifted back into a diesel vs electric future debate !  - not what i was after 

an appoloduck search for 2019/20 models for £100000 finds various new builds (I appreciate that you can spend a whole lot more, and i may be able to, and liekly go for 'nearly new'), and i was simply  hoping for recommendations of quality and particular builders....  not a power drive debate 

thanks all  

Nearly new Johnathan Wilson shell with a respected boat builders fit out for me

8 minutes ago, Nelly Mac said:

thanks all  

I think there has been a big misunderstanding of your 1st post.

I read (and it looks as if others) read it as you were looking for a new boat and asking for suggestions as to the best builders.

Totally misunderstood that you were looking for a second hand boat.

Totally different answers would have resulted - for example my suggestion about specifying electric to replace the diesel engine may now make more sense to you.

The way reasonably priced boats are selling at the moment you may not have much choice of 'craftsman built'. Boats that are in good condition and at 'fair prices' are selling within hours and in many instances before they even get put onto websites.

People ar registering interest with a number of brokers, they get a call saying "this boat is coming in this afternoon, if you want it, you better get here today"

It is s sellers market, as a buyer, "snooze and you lose"

Good luck.

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, Nelly Mac said:

thanks all  

Well.

If you are now prepared to consider a used boat I refer you back to post #10. Our boat was fitted out by Bath Narrowboats, sadly no longer building boats but equally good fit outs are available.

Have a look at boats by @peterboat 's suggestion as one source. Beacon boats are worth a look too. Also no longer in production but a well regarded boat builder and used ones come up occasionally.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

8 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Where are you in the country?

If North or your willing to travel, give this guy a look, builds quality boats and prices are to suit your budget with the shell of your choice.

https://www.sellisboatfitters.co.uk/gallery/

I can second that he has done great work on my boat

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, PD1964 said:

If North or your willing to travel, give this guy a look, builds quality boats and prices are to suit your budget with the shell of your choice.

Despite the Title "New Build"

Nelly has now said she meant a 'newish' secondhand boat, rather than a new-build boat, (but most of us were originally under the same impression as you are).

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 16/01/2021 at 21:13, The Happy Nomad said:

The price differential is a bit like the differance between an ICE vehicle and an electric one.............

............ but on steroids.

I got quoted £30k for a fully refurbished Gardner. That’s pretty close to what I reckon a reasonable electric drive could be fitted. 

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Despite the Title "New Build"

Nelly has now said she meant a 'newish' secondhand boat, rather than a new-build boat, (but most of us were originally under the same impression as you are).

I’m sure with a £100K budget he’ll be able to buy any of the used/nearly new on Apolloduck even the ones with Craftsmanship interiors. Just needs to look for the boat that he likes first and not worry so much about who made it .

Edited by PD1964

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I’m sure with a £100K budget he’ll be able to buy any of the used/nearly new on Apolloduck even the ones with Craftsmanship interiors. Just needs look for the boat that he likes first.

On Apolloduck there is this nice 5 year old 'high spec' well fitted out, narrowboat at £125,000

Burscough 70 Traditional for sale UK, Burscough boats for sale, Burscough used boat sales, Burscough Narrow Boats For Sale 2 Bedroom High Spec Liveaboard - Apollo Duck

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Lovely boat and an unusual layout.

But sadly longer then the 57ft 'ish' that the OP is after. 

On 16/01/2021 at 12:25, Nelly Mac said:

Now... I know that you get what you pay for in life; and that ‘value’ and ‘worth’ are subjective ...

however looking to learn from your experience; good experiences ??

if I wanted a modern fully equipped new build 57ish live aboard (or at least CCing) NB, can I achieve that up to £100k with real craftsmanship .... and if so who are you recommending 

thanks 

Nelly Mac 

Have you looked in the "Tug" section on Apollo Duck?  There is one on there that fits your description (and has a Gardner).  Worth a chat with the broker about the budget gap.  You never know your luck ?

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

It looks a very sophisticated upmarket boat. Just don't study the bow shape too closely - it looks as if it's had a giant clothes peg on it.

Urgh.....

I hadn't spotted that. Not all the pics would load on my PC, just the interior ones and the stern shot.

58 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not worth anywhere near £125K dreamers. I doubt it was £125K when new 5 years ago.

Edited by PD1964

20 hours ago, PD1964 said:

thanks guys - i'm right darn sarf in Kent ... but i'll take a look, as worth travelling anywhere to get it right - ta ;o)

5 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I’m sure with a £100K budget he’ll be able to buy any of the used/nearly new on Apolloduck even the ones with Craftsmanship interiors. Just needs to look for the boat that he likes first and not worry so much about who made it .

Have a look at this. Might be of interest to you. https://apolloduck.net/655643