River Trent & Lincolnshire Waterways Flood Alerts

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Here its 6 inchs from the river joining the canal, that was half an hour ago  the weir in rotherham is just one level lake moving very fast. Given the warning we have had why haven't the boat owners been down to loosen their ropes? A sleepless night ahead 

27 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Here its 6 inchs from the river joining the canal, that was half an hour ago  the weir in rotherham is just one level lake moving very fast. Given the warning we have had why haven't the boat owners been down to loosen their ropes? A sleepless night ahead 

Covid lockdown?

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

No monitoring station at Llangollen, but this is what is happening at Manley Hall a few miles downstream.

It's now at 3.564, 3/4 of a metre higher than it ever has been before. Bangor on Dee is being evacuated.

33 minutes ago, peterboat said:

All credit to you Peter, I have been there before sorting others boats out as well as my own, it's a thankless task in the most as when they come back, everything's still OK as they left it. Occasionally you do get thanked though, and that does make it worthwhile....I couldnt sit there and watch a boat just sink because I couldnt be bothered.

(Take note, Leicester Marina, Pillings Lock amongst others)

• Love 1
  • Happy 1

25 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Covid lockdown?

During the first lockdown CRT issued guidance about when in their opinion it would be reasonable to visit your boat. This time nothing. I am getting emails from CRT warning about canal levels where I am moored but not sure I want an argument with the Derbyshire police!

4 minutes ago, PaulD said:

During the first lockdown CRT issued guidance about when in their opinion it would be reasonable to visit your boat. This time nothing. I am getting emails from CRT warning about canal levels where I am moored but not sure I want an argument with the Derbyshire police!

Which canal Paul?, I havnt received any CRT notifications from the Midlands today .

There was a boat sunk at Cosgrove on the GU over Christmas, ropes tight at 90 degrees to the bank, River Tove flooded big time, and it stayed where it was.

Edited by matty40s

7 hours ago, PaulD said:

We are going to check on our boat this weekend. Whether or not it is within the Covid guidelines we are going to check that it has weathered the storm and that it has enough electric on the bollard for the heaters.

We are also going to sue the chance to clear some of our gear off it, again :rolleyes:

And in York the Farson webcam shows the river level just approaching the bottom of the No Entry sign. The lifebelt has vanished! https://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/locations/york

So far it's looking OK on the Rivers Avon and Severn but that will no doubt change in the next 48 hours.

We have the opposite problems to everyone else here. Just received this navigation notice from CaRT. Yes, I don't get how high water levels can give low flow from the pumps either. Unless the pumps are now heading towards the North Sea!

Jen

Notice Alert

Sheffield & Tinsley Canal
Starts At: Sheffield Basin Swing Bridge
Ends At: Lock 1 Tinsley

Thursday 21 January 2021 09:45 until further notice

Type: Advice
Reason: Water resources

Original message:

Due to the high water levels on the River Don, the Tinsley pumps on Effingham Street are experiencing low flow issues.

This may cause water levels to reduce over the coming days, therefore Skippers of all craft are advised to check their mooring lines and adjust accordingly.

Once Engineers are able to go on site and resolve the issue this notice will be updated accordingly.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/19051/sheffield-basin-swing-bridge-lock-1-tinsley-

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

10 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

We have the opposite problems to everyone else here. Just received this navigation notice from CaRT. Yes, I don't get how high water levels can give low flow from the pumps either. Unless the pumps are now heading towards the North Sea!

Jen

Notice Alert

Sheffield & Tinsley Canal
Starts At: Sheffield Basin Swing Bridge
Ends At: Lock 1 Tinsley

Thursday 21 January 2021 09:45 until further notice

Type: Advice
Reason: Water resources

Original message:

Due to the high water levels on the River Don, the Tinsley pumps on Effingham Street are experiencing low flow issues.

This may cause water levels to reduce over the coming days, therefore Skippers of all craft are advised to check their mooring lines and adjust accordingly.

Once Engineers are able to go on site and resolve the issue this notice will be updated accordingly.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/19051/sheffield-basin-swing-bridge-lock-1-tinsley-

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

They are in the river by the park arnt they? didnt look secure when we walked around it last year

9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

They are in the river by the park arnt they? didnt look secure when we walked around it last year

I don't know. Effingham St is the closest point on the river to the part of the canal where the pipes end. Perhaps I wasn't joking about them heading towards the North Sea after all. Were they using CaRT blue string to hold them in place? ?

I take it that you survived!

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

6 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I don't know. Effingham St is the closest point on the river to the part of the canal where the pipes end. Perhaps I wasn't joking about them heading towards the North Sea after all. Were they using CaRT blue string to hold them in place? ?

Yes the water must have bypassed the lock gates at about 1230 and at 0200 we were high in the canal, but I dont think it went over the side. The Don is going down but the Rother is still rising so it will be interesting for a few more days

• Happy 1

26 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yes lots of blue string in abundance, why would they do a proper job when they can bodge it?

• Horror 1

10 hours ago, PaulD said:

Trent and Mersey Shardlow lock to Aston lock. Received this afternoon.

I have seen that section rise about 6 inches to towpath level, the Trent cant flood it  but the volume of water coming down raised it until Shardlow lock gates turned into a wier.

Trent Floods at Newark and forecast to get higher.

Updated: 12:59, 22 January 2021

Newark under water. (44071837)

River levels in Newark are continuing to rise and have not yet peaked.

The district council said flooding was expected throughout this evening (Friday) and into tomorrow.

It anticipated the peak would be similar to the floods experienced in February last year.

I reckon that must be 6-8 feet above normal - its normally a high wall (below those white ladders)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Horror 1

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Trent Floods at Newark and forecast to get higher.

Updated: 12:59, 22 January 2021

Newark under water. (44071837)

River levels in Newark are continuing to rise and have not yet peaked.

The district council said flooding was expected throughout this evening (Friday) and into tomorrow.

It anticipated the peak would be similar to the floods experienced in February last year.

I reckon that must be 6-8 feet above normal - its normally a high wall (below those white ladders)

Bugger Alan is trip boat ok?

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It's higher around Newark than last winter 

This is Farndon marina today - a few inches above last winters max an still rising  but reaching a maximum subject to absence of rain for a few days 

[url=https://servimg.com/view/18897560/1200][img]https://i22.servimg.com/u/f22/18/89/75/60/farndo11.jpg[/img][/url]

Don't work for me Martyn but looking at Alan's pictures I can only think yours are just as bad