River Trent & Lincolnshire Waterways Flood Alerts

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

15/1/21

The Environment Agency has put a total of 19 areas in Lincolnshire on either a flood alert or flood warning.

The organisation has issued the warnings after a day of heavy snow and rain across the county on Thursday, January 14.

People are being told to be prepared as flooding is "possible", while in areas with a flood warning, flooding is expected and immediate action needs to be taken.

The 15 areas of Lincolnshire on flood alert are:

Barlings Eau and Duckpool Catchwater

Bain Catchment

East and West Glens

Lincoln Watercourses

Fossdyke Canal and River Till

Lower Glen and Bourne Eau System

Lower River Witham

Minor Watercrosses of South Forty Foot Drain

Rase and Upper Ancholme

River Steeping

River Trent from Cromwell Weir to Gainsborough

South Forty Foot Drain

Tributaries of the lower River Witham from Blankney to Sleaford

Witham to North Kesteven

Witham to South Kesteven

The areas with a flood warning in force are:

Swaton Eau to Swaton Village

River Glen at Surfleet Reservoir during high tide periods

River Witham and associated Fens from Chapel Hill to Boston

River Witham and associated Fens from Woodhall Spa to Chapel Hill

This is a breaking incident and there will be further updates in the blog below.

Bardney Lock 15/1/21

0_Image-from-iOS_result.jpg

0_EryITEbXIAAX7QX_resultjfif.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/

Flood warnings by EA, and the above excellent site are not boating related, they are damage to property and businesses along with risk to life.

The Trent was well out of its banks today above Shardlow, and the Soar out over the fields to the South of Leicester near Narborough.

Lots to come, and then lots more end of next week if it doesnt come as snow.

The River Trent is well up at Farndon but not so  high as seen last winter. The fields nearby have water in them - which is to be expected.

I would need waders to get to my boat.

The river level looks like it is set to rise a little further  and if rain forecast  in a few days  should materialise it may well result in some  flooding.

14 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I stopped at Sawley Wier to watch this expert/nutter.

Reminds me of the organ donor/canoe expert we saw on the River Dee in Llangollan. It was in high flood we hung over the bridge and said if anyone fell in they would be chub food/mincemeat. Then this bloke shot past in a canoe!

But that was not a mad as above.

More flooding on the way.

It's the annual Calder Valley deluge, good chance to try out the new flood defences and alleviation schemes, also seeing where it knackers up now. 

N Wales, NW, Peak District and Pennines and down the spine of the country, the amber warning has been extended to bring in the Trent and Witham catchments too.

Take care all.

Screenshot_20210118-192142_Chrome.jpg

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Major incident now being declared in South Yorkshire due to current river levels,  melting snow and amount of forecast rainfall.

York levels are already high at the Kings Head

We seem to get that picture pretty much every year - presumably it is a 'still' from the CCTV.

The weather is certainly changing, the only difference now between Summer & Winter is that the rain is warmer in the Summer.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There is time yet - Rain of 'biblical proportions' due today thru to Thursday

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Highest it has ever been was just above the white bar on the no entry sign. 

Geek

I think it got very close to that or reached that line in Nov 2012 when I took this. This was taken a couple of days after it peaked. Both boats that are pictured moored at Kings Staithe from memory survived as the railings (submerged)  prevented them from being washed completely over the edge onto the Staithe itself.

York Floods Nov 2012.JPG

I prepared both boats today long lines at the ready, I suspect it will be tomorrow night for us, when high tide stops the water running out of the rivers. The Don has been going up all day from last night's rain, of course we have 36 hours of rain to come from 8 ish tonight 

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I prepared both boats today long lines at the ready, I suspect it will be tomorrow night for us, when high tide stops the water running out of the rivers. The Don has been going up all day from last night's rain, of course we have 36 hours of rain to come from 8 ish tonight 

Fingers crossed for you and the other boaters down there.

Jen

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago

Posted

Walsden (between Todmorden/Littleborough) sounded their flood sirens 2 hrs back. They are not currently flooding but they know it is coming and would rather 'rouse' folk to action than leave it 'till later....

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

1 hour ago

Posted

Walsden (between Todmorden/Littleborough) sounded their flood sirens 2 hrs back. They are not currently flooding but they know it is coming and would rather 'rouse' folk to action than leave it 'till later....

On a knife edged at the moment. Still today’s forecasted heavy rain still to come. Peak should be later in the day/early hours in the morning.

C3DE6BEE-F490-4AB5-A9E0-9C3277B30A52.png

1 hour ago, Jon57 said:

On a knife edged at the moment. Still today’s forecasted heavy rain still to come. Peak should be later in the day/early hours in the morning.

C3DE6BEE-F490-4AB5-A9E0-9C3277B30A52.png

Same here, overnight the line has gone straight up, still well away from light flooding, but most of our waters passing through come from where there has been plenty of rain over the last few weeks. High tide is lunch time and midnight ish, so if the rain picks up it will all happen in the pitch black as always ?