Cracked injector pump Beta 1505

Featured Posts

Engine was running well but run out fuel. Filled up and got it going and then 10 minutes later cut out. It wouldn't restart and after much investigating found considerable amount of diesel found in the sump. Looked into a number of possible causes and then finally checked the injector pump and found this:

675579340_InjectorPump1.jpg.663eec7944c85e6fac2a9ca5404cccc2.jpg227462952_InjectorPump2.jpg.77c158cde93c3ede54d1e349412e97ae.jpg

The 3 people I have shown this to so far (includng Beta) have all said that they have not seen anything like this before.

Questions are:

1 - Any idea how this might this have happened? A new pump is expensive and do not want a repeat if there might be another issue that led to this happening.

2 - Could this have caused damage to the housing or linkages in the block?

2 - Does anyone know of where I might source a used replacement? Embosed on the sides: 64020 96210 & 16054 STOP

I think you have just paid a huge price for running out of diesel.

My guess is that some contamination got into the pump, or more likely the pump ran with air rather than diesel in some critical places, and it seized thus creating forces big enough to crack it.

............Dave

Well done for actually finding the cause. The crack looks new, not some sort of fault just waiting to let go. I can only imagine that something, nut, bolt, washer, piston or some tiny component came adrift, the pump came up solid against it and something had to give. Never heard of it happening to any pump of any make but I suppose any machine can break itself. I would try e bay, spares for Kubota engines or plant and machinery spares.

I am trying to work out how it could happen. The cams push upwards so if an element jammed it would not stress the case but would stress the mounting flange, camshaft and drive. The cam followers are pushed down by a spring but I really cant see a spring having enough strength to crack the case. The best I can come up with is  a lot of water in the body that froze. I await input from the more informed.

My first thought was that water might have got in and this may have frozen/caused it but at all times only red diesel seemed to be coming through. Plus the tank was polished last July. Two of the screws are out (not sure if you can see on pic 2) and slightly concerned where they ended up.

Freezing water sounds like a good explanation but I read it that the OP ran out of fuel but then was up and running again quite quickly and then failed after ten mins. Is this correct?

Ten mins should have been long enough for any air to sort itself out, but it must be linked to running out of fuel, too much of a co-incidence.

Did the engine start easily and run well (initially) once it was refuelled?

...............Dave

Yes. Was running for about 10 mins. Thinking all was fine I packed up to leave and then it started spluttering and cut out. It didn't start again and after hours of checking/testing injectors, the lifter pump etc finally decided to remove the injector pump .... to find the crack. Must be new but confused as to why it might suddenly happen. 

Screws fell out of side cover and part of internal mechanism was able to move sideways and jam in the side aperture? The item immediately behind the cover appears to be at a “jaunty” angle. Well beyond any warranty claim, buts screws should have been fitted at the factory using a suitable “Loctite” type product. I doubt that any assembly line robots are losing sleep over this.

Edited by Eeyore

I still don't see how something jambing could cause that crack because the force from the cams is upwards. In other words the case and internal parts would be put into compression.

I suppose if the cam followers are not roller followers or if a roller or rollers jambed then the cam might exert sufficient horizontal force on the follower to lever the whole assembly sideways and that might be strong enough to crack one side of the housing. However the cams would be lubricated by engine oil not fuel.

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone is interested ..... 

I took the injectors to be checked and one was totally seized up. No matter how much pressure the guy put into it nothing came through. His diagnosis was that in cranking the engine the pressure built up behind this injector which ultimately caused the pump to crack. 

• Sad 2

Just now, rgriffiths said:

Just in case anyone is interested ..... 

I took the injectors to be checked and one was totally seized up. No matter how much pressure the guy put into it nothing came through. His diagnosis was that in cranking the engine the pressure built up behind this injector which ultimately caused the pump to crack. 

Wow! not heard of that before. Thanks for getting back to us....always good to get to the bottom of these things..I know thats not much solace for you!

52 minutes ago, frangar said:

Wow! not heard of that before. Thanks for getting back to us....always good to get to the bottom of these things..I know thats not much solace for you!

Likewise. Do you know what was fund wrong with the injector? It sounds as if the needle had rusted absolutely solid.