New to narrowboating

Daniel Grantham

Featured Posts

Hi everyone I am on the verge of making either the biggest mistake of my life  or the best , I have watched you tube videos and get an impression life is good on a narrowboat I have not heard the nitty gritty and the hardship that this lifestyle change can bring , I’m divorced and 49 and do not want another mortgage bills bills bills and want to change my life ,I know a lot of narrowboaters have been in the same predicament through this and other situations and I would love to hear of genuine boaters of the lifestyle changes how they adapted the problems the stress the good bad and especially the ugly I know I’m going to get various comments but as new bee in the narrowboat world I would love to here from you Dan x

17 minutes ago, Daniel Grantham said:

Hi everyone I am on the verge of making either the biggest mistake of my life  or the best , I have watched you tube videos and get an impression life is good on a narrowboat I have not heard the nitty gritty and the hardship that this lifestyle change can bring , I’m divorced and 49 and do not want another mortgage bills bills bills and want to change my life ,I know a lot of narrowboaters have been in the same predicament through this and other situations and I would love to hear of genuine boaters of the lifestyle changes how they adapted the problems the stress the good bad and especially the ugly I know I’m going to get various comments but as new bee in the narrowboat world I would love to here from you Dan x

I dont live on a boat but I did own one for 5 years.

I would just say that owning one is not as cheap as some people think. Their upkeep is constant and the licence costs are condiderable. You can keep maintence and upkeep lower if you are 'handy' but if you are relying on trades people to do stuff like repairs and servicing to your engine and electrical system then the costs can be considerable.

If you plan to moor the thing then these costs in some parts of the country can equate to having a considerable mortgage.

But good luck.

Ps if you want to get a basic understanding of the costs of living aboard 'cruising the cut' on you tube does a video breaking down his costs.

Have a watch he has as good a stab at it as anybody ive seen attempt on here.

Edited by The Happy Nomad
To add video

There will be bills

Comms £50 pcm

Boat Insurance £10pcm

Boat Licence £80pcm

Maintenance £100*pcm

Diesel £35**pcm

Coal £50pcm

I have fudged this * figure as my first year expenditure meant a set of new domestic batteries and a lot of paint, in my second year I have had two episodes of one off boatyard maintenance, and some internal titivating. Next year it might be £600 for blacking. Coal and wood costs about £100 evey four weeks in winter. Diesel has been almost solely for heating and battery charging which is essential. In a normal year it might be £40-50pcm.

I also paid about £1000 for 550 Watts of solar including labour, a one off cost. 

Edited by LadyG

Following on from all the other threads you've started on here, one of the first things I suggest you do is, when possible, book yourself on a boat maintenance course, otherwise the bills, bills, bills will be never ending. 
And can I also suggest that before you undertake any alterations to your new boat you live in it for several months, because only then will you really know what you want. I can assure you that what you think you want now will be different in 6 months time!

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, sueb said:

Have you been on a narrowboat? Have a holiday on one if not. It can be lovely on a lovely day and horrid if wet and cold and you have to move the boat.

This is another thing, I mean, unlike most folks on here, I am not living on board 'cos I want a narrowboat. I am living on board 'cos I want to live in the country, without the constant police sirens so beloved of those blue lighters, and other urban practices

I go to sleep in complete silence, and wake to the dawn chorus. I had never stayed overnight on a narrowboat, but had done lots of sailing, so that part of it was not going to worry me, but best to have a few days on board before diving in to deep waters. 

For example, how did you come to think about this?

Do you think you will travel about or live cheek by jowl in a marina?

Can you think about sanitation?

Water?

Energy?

Weedhatches?

Coal fires?

Stuffing boxes, lol?

Edited by LadyG