Does anyone like to do any work on my narrowboat I need the bilge area all de rusted and painted I will supply all materials just need a Labour cost or anyone interested thankyou

Daniel Grantham

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Unless its badly rusted so emery paper and hard work would not be enough.  Using an angle grinder plus whatever tool you put on it is potentially hazardous  so sensible people equip themselves to minimise the danger. that includes learning how to sue the tool safely and getting the correct PPE to minimise the danger. Whilst I agree about the metal shavings cup brushes do shed wires and they can look a bit like drill swarf so also like metal shavings.

I would be very interested in the methods you would use to remove rust from a bilge in a timely and efficient manner.

I would also be interested to hear how many narrowboat engine bay bilges those who say engine removal is not required to do a proper job have de-rusted and painted because two of us have said in some cases removing the engine is the quickest way. Back to your post, it would also be the safer way because it gives more space for proper body positioning relative to the tool and job and fewer obstructions for power tools to catch on.

Thanks for bringing some sense to the topic Tony, my original answer to the OP was in an effort to furnish him with the pitfalls he may encounter if he ended up employing a potential chancer to carry out the work. 

55 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

Just chuck a gallon of fertan in there and leave it for few months, pressure wash it out, repeat every year.Eventually when all the rust is gone paint it.

But Fertan does not remove rust. it converts (some of) it to iron tanite or some such. I would lay odds that if you did not remove all the rough stuff first it would not be effective and a waste of Fertan. I think Fertan works to a degree when used to neutralised  the rust remaining in pits that wire brushes and disks can't remove. It seems more like it only converts a few microns of the rust surface to me.

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

It seems more like it only converts a few microns of the rust surface to me.

Depends how long you leave it. The metal needs to be covered in a solution of Fertan. If Fertan is too expensive you can use Molasses. Pour it in and leave it as long as you can. It makes the rust soluble in water and you can wash it off. Bit smelly though!