Does anyone like to do any work on my narrowboat I need the bilge area all de rusted and painted I will supply all materials just need a Labour cost or anyone interested thankyou

Daniel Grantham

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Are you looking for a boatyard that might do a proper job, or just someone who will work for cash in hand but take no responsibility for the quality of the work?

Mmm well quality of work has to be good I’m not expecting a boat yard as they have told me they have to take engine out to do so I’ve YouTube it and saw it can be done by yourself 

This must be a candidate for our longest-ever topic title.

Daniel, I see that you're in Brum. There should be no shortage of local boatyards in the W.M., you could phond round some of those.

Edit: posts crossed.

Edited by Athy

5 minutes ago, Daniel Grantham said:

Mmm well quality of work has to be good I’m not expecting a boat yard as they have told me they have to take engine out to do so I’ve YouTube it and saw it can be done by yourself 

So a boatyard have told you the engine must come out to do the job properly (and I agree). And you think getting some bod off the street to try and do the job working around the engine will give you an acceptable result?

• Greenie 2

If you are happy to leave the drip tray alone (they tend not to rust much because of the oil & fuel) you can do an OKish job yourself but limited an difficult access to various areas means it will take longer and some areas are unlikely to be properly done. For instance on my boat where the hire fleet seemed to have painted it every year had the areas where the engine beds were close to the swim unpainted while the forward corners where the swim met the bulkhead had a build up of dirt, mud, rust and paint about half an inch thick.

36 minutes ago, Daniel Grantham said:

Did you realise that you were not buying a boat, but were buying a 'project'. You seem to have a 'lot going on' of work that needs doing from hatches to bilge painting to skylights to  .................

Did your surveyor identlfy these things as needing doing ?

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I am not surprised at the quote its a shitty job and engine needs taking out which needs some lifting gear and messing about. Cash in hand bodges job for 500 quid? 

Bodge job - Paint the bits that are easily visible & accessible, take the money and run.........

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

When I started boating with all boats fitted with Listers and BMC underneath the engine never needed painting because the oil leaking from the engine kept the bilge rust free, these new fangled japanese engines have created this issue.

maybe just chuck some oil in the bottom and problem solved!  :)

• Greenie 3

32 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

When I started boating with all boats fitted with Listers and BMC underneath the engine never needed painting because the oil leaking from the engine kept the bilge rust free, these new fangled japanese engines have created this issue.

How very true. My first boat was a hand start lister lr2 and I never changed the oil in 5 years as it worked on a total loss system so just topped up most days lol. My last few boats have been japanese and I don't check the level between changes as it doesn't move. 

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

Hmm...  hadn't considered there were upsides to my leaky gearbox, but if it saves me vactanning in the summer...