Boat life newspaper article. This has to be a wind up?

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

Ah, it is in the Sun. Someone who has been earning 90 grand as a solicitor can't work out how to put a portapotti in the boat, or a shower? No wonder she lost her job/decided to change direction. It's just a reminder that the tabloids are about as good an information source as the internet!

She's obviously a highly intelligent and able girl. Is it possible that she was inventing little teensy fibsies to tell Anna what she wanted to hear, or, as Dora puts it, winding her up?

I did like the bit where she said that her b/f Toby didn't think she smelled bad - but that he had now moved out.

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

A license only gives you 2 weeks mooring on the canal.

Did she say that?

£40K for a boat with no loo and almost no storage room? And she is a top flight lawyer. Sounds as if she has little more than a tin can for water storage and where are these lakes she can swim in around London? 

Seems a bit odd . . . 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

where are these lakes she can swim in around London? 

Seems a bit odd . . . 

There used to be a Serpentine Swimming Club, not sure if there still is.

More than a bit odd!

10 minutes ago, Tonka said:

cut directly from the article

"She paid for a licence which allows her to moor for two weeks in a canal, meaning she is always on the move."

It's just badly written - boaters will know what it means but few other people will.

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's just badly written - boaters will know what it means but few other people will.

Some might argue its a good thing if people inspired by reading that article are put off by the idea they might have to pay for a licence every two weeks!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

£40K for a boat with no loo and almost no storage room? And she is a top flight lawyer. Sounds as if she has little more than a tin can for water storage and where are these lakes she can swim in around London? 

Seems a bit odd . . . 

But it is a wide beam, so you don't get much for £40K, 

As for swiming in lakes, Quite a few people have been nicked for swiming in the lake in Victoria Park, There is also the London Fields Lido.

And there are the lakes and reservoirs along the river lee upto Ware from Hackney Marshes.

40 minutes ago, Athy said:

There used to be a Serpentine Swimming Club, not sure if there still is.

More than a bit odd!

It certainly is still there. My father and Uncle were both members in the 1930's, when my father was fixtures Secretary for the London Business Houses Swimming Association. They had a tradition of always going for a swim on Christmas Day morning, which often involved breaking the ice first. I don't know if they still do that.

44 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The main thing I can't get my head around, is why did she need to quit her job when she bought a boat?  If she was earning £90k a year, she could have bought the boat, gone part time to half her hours and had the best of both worlds.  None of it makes a shred of sense. 

I don't think it was the boat that made her quit her job.   The article says:

it affected her health. “I lost loads of weight,” she says. “The long hours meant I wasn’t eating properly and it had a negative impact on my mental health - I was really stressed. Plus, I found the work so boring.”

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

But it is a wide beam, so you don't get much for £40K, 

As for swiming in lakes, Quite a few people have been nicked for swiming in the lake in Victoria Park, There is also the London Fields Lido.

And there are the lakes and reservoirs along the river lee upto Ware from Hackney Marshes.

I doesn't look very fat in this picture ;

Despite the downsides Dorothy says she's saving loads of money as she doesn't pay rent

58 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If your bin liner splits?

Eeks, that would not suit me, even though I would be 'saving money', not sure how, but, I can see similarities in our lifestyle":

I cut my own hair last April. Its naturally grey so does not show up the dirt. 

I'm between jobs. 

I thought about standing in the well deck with a solar shower on the roof, or even swimming in the canal, though I think it might be illegal, it looks clean enough. 

I've been washing my arms in the weed hatch every six months. No one has complained.

I have a wardrobe full of swish clean clothes but not been invited anywhere smart for nigh on a year. 

There is a WC conveniently close, but it's touch and go whether I'd get there in time.

The cat has a composting toilet, fairly basic design, I suppose there will similar for humans, I've already got a very fancy white bucket with a lid for mine. 

Edited by LadyG

The maths is defeating me. She was earning £90k a year but only managed to save £2000 a month. At the end of 2 years she only had £20k (she seems to have lost £28k on the way). Then with that and £10k from an inheritance and £10k from her family she has bought a boat with a broken bog...

8 minutes ago, Lysander said:

The maths is defeating me. She was earning £90k a year but only managed to save £2000 a month. At the end of 2 years she only had £20k (she seems to have lost £28k on the way). Then with that and £10k from an inheritance and £10k from her family she has bought a boat with a broken bog...

She never claimed to be a mathematician.

Poor thing, whereas most of us would want get out of London, she decided it was her spiritual home.

When I bought my boat a relative gave me a book written by a girl who lived on a boat in London, I've not been able to read it, it is so bad, but somehow she got it published in hardback. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1