tub drains, then slowly refills....

Featured Posts

The pipe from the tub drain yo the pump needs to hold more water than the pipe from the pump to the outside so that the water that runs back when the pump stops is insufficient to start filling the tub again.

The valves in the pump could be fouled up causing then to leak back. Any foreign bodies gone down the hole? 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The pipe from the tub drain yo the pump needs to hold more water than the pipe from the pump to the outside so that the water that runs back when the pump stops is insufficient to start filling the tub again.

The valves in the pump could be fouled up causing then to leak back. Any foreign bodies gone down the hole? 

Agreed but it might also be where rain can run down hull side and into the outlet hole. This is gar less likely if its a proper skin fitting with a bulge on the outside. Still would indicate leaking valves through.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Badly piped as @Tracy D'arth said.  

Does a basin or washing machine share the skin fitting with the gulper as well if the tub slowly fills up?

A basin does share the fitting. It looks clear, but I will do a proper dismantle in daylight. 

as always, thanks all for the quick and quality information. 

another q:  should I expect water **not** to flow back through the Gulper? 

That is, the Gulper pumps out the bath, some water sits in the hose between the pump and the through hull.  I think TheBiscuits got it right in that the drain from the sink connects higher than the gulper pipe, thus filling the pipe back to the Gulper [from where the sink connection joins it].   Grey water then finds its way back through the pump, and into the pipe connecting the pump to the bath, slowly refilling the bath.

If i simply do the rotation advised, does that fix it?  Or does the fact that water moves back through the not-switched-on Gulper mean there is an issue there?  [ie:  is there a one way valve that is now two way...]

thanks  

The gulper valves are excellent at not fouling and sealing when the pump is running but I would expect older ones to not seal very well for low pressure water such as you may have in the pipe. You could try new valves and that may work ------------ for a while. As long as the outlet in the hull is not blocked water can not run up hill so it you arrange thing so the    shower drain pipe runs DOWN into the T/Y joint it should cure the problem.

• Greenie 1

now that i have had a good look at it... is another option to fix this to put a piece of kit in the drain pipe [a stopcock?] between the tub drain and the pump.  Turn it off when not pumping out the bathtub, back on for whenever the tub is being drained?

7 minutes ago, Wittenham said:

now that i have had a good look at it... is another option to fix this to put a piece of kit in the drain pipe [a stopcock?] between the tub drain and the pump.  Turn it off when not pumping out the bathtub, back on for whenever the tub is being drained?

Dangerous - you will one day forget, if not you, then someone will.

You will, as a minimum. require a big "Remove before flight" streamer hanging off the shower head.

s-l1600.jpg

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Dangerous - you will one day forget, if not you, then someone will.

You will, as a minimum. require a big "Remove before flight" streamer hanging off the shower head.

s-l1600.jpg

thanks Alan, is the danger that the valve is left open?  In which case, the tub fills up like before, so that is ok.  Or that it is left closed and the pump turned on, and it ?? [burns itself out?] trying to suck past the NRV?

I like the safety tag idea!

16 minutes ago, Wittenham said:

If you must put a valve in then maybe something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-Air-Water-Oil-Thread-Normally-Closed-12V-24V-240V-/353314629779?

Would be a good move, wired in parallel with the pump, open when pump is on, closed when it's off. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Or it is left closed, the shower tray overflows and you fill your bilge with soapy water.

ah yes, that is another way to screw this up.  The shower tray is a small bath tub, so i expect it will be noticed, but one more thing to think about.  Thanks.