A little more water than usual

bigcol

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

I'm not sure how far I dare push the argument on this forum, but the guidance quoted allows you to visit to prevent harm to yourself - it is difficult to see how your cottage, caravan or boat can harm you in the physical sense if you're not there. For a sinking boat you're arguably at greater risk of injury if you try to deal with it. Similarly a cottage with a broken door. Thus I would assume that "harm" includes damage to your asset. 

There is a thin but apparent line between maintenance and preventing harm, and I can see they don't want people going to their boat to change the oil - no harm will come if you wait for that, whilst acknowledging that making a property, caravan or vessel secure so it doesn't come to further harm is okay. It's your asset to harm to it is harm to you. 

I should perhaps have put a smiley on my post!

As written the guidance does seem to imply that you can't act to prevent harm to the boat (if that harm would not also cause harm to others). But I doubt that is the intention. It seems reasonable to me that you should be able to protect one of your most valuable possessions.

But at the end of the day, it's the policeman who stops you that you have to convince. And if you get one who is in the habit of hanging around Derbyshire reservoirs, the guidance as written is not going to be much help.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I should perhaps have put a smiley on my post!

As written the guidance does seem to imply that you can't act to prevent harm to the boat (if that harm would not also cause harm to others). But I doubt that is the intention. It seems reasonable to me that you should be able to protect one of your most valuable possessions.

But at the end of the day, it's the policeman who stops you that you have to convince. And if you get one who is in the habit of hanging around Derbyshire reservoirs, the guidance as written is not going to be much help.

I can see that phrase entering into general usage! :lol:

22 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't think it is.

Neither of my boats have a BSS and both are insured.

My 'Craft Insure' policy simply says that "......... will be maintained in a proper state of repair ................"

Interesting. My Craftinsure policy has that wording but followed by, "You possess a current Canal & River Trust or Environment Agency Licence, or the equivalent Licence from the local Navigation Authority as appropriate, and a
current Boat Safety Certificate"

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Interesting. My Craftinsure policy has that wording but followed by, "You possess a current Canal & River Trust or Environment Agency Licence, or the equivalent Licence from the local Navigation Authority as appropriate, and a

That would suggest that if your boat is on waters that don't require a BSS then they will not offer cover.

That is certainly not the case.

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It's just Alan being naughty.  Neither of his seagoing boats are on CRT waters so he hasn't got a standard inland waterways insurance policy.

He is correct in saying he doesn't need a BSS or licence for his insurance because it's a completely different type of policy.

My craftinsure policy won't cover me to cruise my boat from Wales to Ireland...

22 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's just Alan being naughty.  Neither of his seagoing boats are on CRT waters so he hasn't got a standard inland waterways insurance policy.

He is correct in saying he doesn't need a BSS or licence for his insurance because it's a completely different type of policy.

My craftinsure policy won't cover me to cruise my boat from Wales to Ireland...

Correct, they are currently on coastal water, but my policy (and the condition) is from when I had the boat on the River Trent.

I had added cover for 'tidal waters' so maybe, as a consequence, this has changed the BSS clause.

Edited by Alan de Enfield