TugBoat 28FT By 8ft BetaLister 52Hp Turbo No Reserve

Mike Adams

Featured Posts

The auction description makes interesting reading, he's clearly been messed about by a winning bidder and isn't happy. 

I do like the boat too.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Ooh! Read the description! :o

Now, I appreciate that he's a bit tee'd off by a buyer not turning up but, seriously, would you get involved with the seller after seeing such a rant? 

Edited by Sea Dog
Apologies Nomad - I didn't read your new post as I was typing.

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Ooh! Read the description! :o

Now, I appreciate that he's a bit tee'd off by a buyer not turning up but, seriously, would you get involved with the seller after seeing such a rant? 

I'm surprised eBay allowed that.

I always thought it has 'profanity' filters on the software??

Clearly I'm mistaken.

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

28 foot boat with a 52 hp .......submarine when you engage reverse.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TugBoat-28FT-By-8ft-BetaLister-52Hp-Turbo-No-Reserve-Auction-/293950903380

Screenshot_20210114-125557_Chrome.jpg

I do like the boat,but is unsuitable for narrow canals at 8ft beam. 2'-6" draft is probably a bit deep.My last narrowboat drew 27inches (2'-3") and scraped the bottom fairly frequently.

A big turbocharged engine is an unecessary complication on canals.

Apart from that,I would go and look at it.

Having been messed around when I sold my last two boats (people not turning up,stupidly low offers,exaggerating minor faults etc)

One person was so dismissive of my boat,I told him to "go ......his grandmother"and that is really out of character for me.

I fully understand the vendor's frustration.

28 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

2'-6" draft is probably a bit deep.My last narrowboat drew 27inches (2'-3") and scraped the bottom fairly frequently.

Really? I have boated on boats drawing 3 ft for over 25 years. Yes you do touch the bottom from time to time, and you can't always get as close to the bank as you might want, but it isn't really a problem.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

So if you cross him, he'll threaten to beat seven bells out of you?

Having bought three boats,two of the vendors were quite ok with me grovelling around their boats,and offers were made.The third vendor was rather "prickly"and as I was looking at various things asked if I was a dealer (I'm not) and was hovering around me constantly.

His attitude softened a bit when I made an offer (which he refused) so I upped it a bit and it was accepted.

I found being polite and respectfully examining a prospective purchase then most people are ok.

I have looked at other boats,and the ones I didn't want,I thanked the vendors and told them it wasn't what I was looking for,and not mess them about.

Most,although perhaps a bit disappointed accepted this.

• 7 months later...
5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I do wonder about the reliability of the reporting on Surrey Live:

"The beautiful boat is completely self-sufficient, running off solar panels and the coffee machine runs off gas. "

What happens when the gas runs out?

Methane from the composting toilet? Offer customers a free coffee for every tenth deposit.

50 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I do wonder about the reliability of the reporting on Surrey Live:

"The beautiful boat is completely self-sufficient, running off solar panels and the coffee machine runs off gas. "

What happens when the gas runs out?

I wondered that too!

And in a similar vein I'm pretty sure it will still have a diesel engine too. She really has bought into this "It's a boat so it must be sustainable and eco-friendly" hippy alternative eco-bollux that so many people want to believe. 

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

I wondered that too!

And in a similar vein I'm pretty sure it will still have a diesel engine too. 

According to the advert's heading, it has a "BetaLister 52 h.p."

Does such a thing exist?

1 minute ago, Athy said:

According to the advert's heading, it has a "BetaLister 52 h.p."

Does such a thing exist?

Well I wasn't sure if this was a diesel engine or something the seller had just made up. Some sort of vegetable processor perhaps?

So I hedged my bets.....

• Greenie 1

Well of course the geysers who set up Beta Marine were formerly with Lister so it's possible they badged some Lister engines before going to Kubota. 

Not sure actually but it's quite an intriguing description. 

• Greenie 1

It's an airy fairy idea of prettiness by the water.

Gas outage? Change the bottle like everyone else does. It will rely on the visitor centre for custom and their opening times are most likely timed with same.

I've seen better equipped floating cafes with sit down seating within disappear faster than Sunshine in Winter.

Financially, it will run at a loss. As a boat, back on the market in six months time. It's a shame, but with the best will in the world, it is but a pipe dream.

Just seen this, not having been on this site for a long, long time. The boat is an old motor hull (no upperworks) that was used by the Severn Lights Board for maintenance on the river. She had led a fairly arduous life, but she seems to have come up in the world. I bought her off Fred Larkham at Westbury in about 1986 and Fred towed her up the river, over Maisemore and "around the corner" at Gloucester for me on a biggish spring tide. She had a Ford 6D in her, but as my old chum Chris Lloyd used to say, "The newness had worn off it". I called her "Severn".

I then got her towed up to Worcester where Roger Apperley put the cabin on her at Diglis. Anyone familiar with the Pedro Donkey will see where I was influenced, but we did the lines on her out of water, and when we put her back in, she looked too tall  to me, and too narrow-gutted to be entirely aesthetic. Mark Holtham put a BMC 1800 in her, but this was with a dry exhaust and mechanical box and was not a pleasant thing to sit with. She also had a weird skeg that looped down too far for water where the bottom's too near the top. I seem to remember around 50" draught, but only on the skeg-the hull was actually quite shallow. 

Jim and his son David (temporarily forgotten their surname, but David had a nice little motor he called Eric Bloodaxe) did some internal carpentry on her at Park End and I subsequently sold her to two friends of mine who extended her name to "Severn Belle". They had her for some years and then Steve Lacey (an excellent bloke on diesels but I think now retired) bought her and put the modern Beta in her, living on her for some time, on the G and S. I never took to her as she always looked ungainly to my eyes. The photographs don't show that ungainliness.

• Greenie 2

37 minutes ago, johnthebridge said:

Jim and his son David (temporarily forgotten their surname, but David had a nice little motor he called Eric Bloodaxe) did some internal carpentry on her at Park End and I subsequently sold her to two friends of mine who extended her name to "Severn Belle". 

John and David Matthias now at Gailey.