Three pay-as-you-go steep price hike

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/01/three-pay-as-you-go-price-rise/

From 16 February 2021, Three's existing pay-as-you-go (PAYG) customers will see standard prices rise both in the UK and when using Three's 'Go Roam' service in European countries:

The cost of making a phone call will rise to 10p/minute, from 3p/minute ( a 7p/minute or 233% increase) 

It will cost 10p to send a text, up from 2p at the moment (an 8p/text or 400% increase)

Data costs will also shoot up to 5p/MB, from 1p/MB at the moment (a 4p/MB or 400% increase) 

If these customers use their phone elsewhere around the world, excluding the UK and Europe, costs will also rocket by the following:

It will cost 35p to send a text, up from 2p at the moment (a 33p/text or 1,650% increase) 

Data costs will also shoot up to 5p/MB, from 1p/MB at the moment (a 4p/MB or 400% increase)

Three believes its new rates "remain extremely competitive" and adds that the increases to international roaming rates are to keep prices in line with its new standard rates for using your phone at home, and aren't linked to Brexit. It was one of the major mobile providers that committed to continuing free EU roaming following the end of the Brexit transition period on 1 January 2021.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

From 16 February 2021, Three's existing pay-as-you-go (PAYG) customers will see standard prices rise both in the UK and when using Three's 'Go Roam' service in European countries:

The cost of making a phone call will rise to 10p/minute, from 3p/minute ( a 7p/minute or 233% increase) 

It will cost 10p to send a text, up from 2p at the moment (an 8p/text or 400% increase)

Data costs will also shoot up to 5p/MB, from 1p/MB at the moment (a 4p/MB or 400% increase) 

If these customers use their phone elsewhere around the world, excluding the UK and Europe, costs will also rocket by the following:

It will cost 35p to send a text, up from 2p at the moment (a 33p/text or 1,650% increase) 

Data costs will also shoot up to 5p/MB, from 1p/MB at the moment (a 4p/MB or 400% increase)

Three believes its new rates "remain extremely competitive" and adds that the increases to international roaming rates are to keep prices in line with its new standard rates for using your phone at home, and aren't linked to Brexit. It was one of the major mobile providers that committed to continuing free EU roaming following the end of the Brexit transition period on 1 January 2021.

Presuambly those contracts with 'unlimited calls' and 'unlimited texts' and 'more data that you can use' are not affected ?

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presuambly those contracts with 'unlimited calls' and 'unlimited texts' and 'more data that you can use' are not affected ?

No, PAYG only.  I suspect they are trying to get more customers on contracts.

I have been recommending Three for ages on PAYG because the credit doesn't expire after a set period.  For low users it was fantastic, but jumping prices that far in one hit is quite startling.

• Happy 1

My wife's phone is on a Tesco PAYG account at £4 per Mb of data - because it is not a smartphone and the cost of calls and texts is very low indeed. Thank goodness my own smartphone isn't on that tariff, when it crashed during the summer it would have cost me £62,000 to restore the data!

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yeah, it's linked in the article.  

Note that you have to credit it with at least £10 every 4 months though.

I will admit i didn't read the article.

I run payg on GiffGaff for the boat heating and the rates are similiar to the new 3 rates,  It needs to be 2g hence why I was not on 3.

It was brought home to me whilst I was testing a new system how expensive payg is compared to £5-6 for unlimited calls/txt, 60txts and you have spent the same as a month unlimited ;) 

ETA If you dont need much data Smarty is £5 month unlimited.

Edited by Loddon

8 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I will admit i didn't read the article.

I run payg on GiffGaff for the boat heating and the rates are similiar to the new 3 rates,  It needs to be 2g hence why I was not on 3.

It was brought home to me whilst I was testing a new system how expensive payg is compared to £5-6 for unlimited calls/txt, 60txts and you have spent the same as a month unlimited ;) 

ETA If you dont need much data Smarty is £5 month unlimited.

Also 10% discount if you can link a second account (i.e. £9 for unlimited calls and texts for two phones, monthly contracts).

You can add 1, 2 or 4GB data per month at £1 per GB, with a refund pro rata if not used. Additional data available out of  contract at £1 per GB.

46 minutes ago, alias said:

Also 10% discount if you can link a second account (i.e. £9 for unlimited calls and texts for two phones, monthly contracts).

You can add 1, 2 or 4GB data per month at £1 per GB, with a refund pro rata if not used. Additional data available out of  contract at £1 per GB.

Except there has to be one bill payer I believe, that would mean I would have to pay for my wifes phone.

At present we have;

2 x phones on Smarty with 3gb data

1x dongle on Smarty with 50gb data,  only active when on the boat and have 2 free months waiting to be used ;)

1x home broadband on 3 unlimited 

I might well move it all under one bill when my 3 home broadband contract expires that wil be £5.10 a month saved and another free month for the boat.

The mobile cost structure has  changed. The marginal cost of providing phone calls and sending texts is basically zero. What costs is the provision and upkeep of the network and the tax paid on the radio spectrum. PAYG users who don't make many calls or send many texts are getting access to the network for less than it costs to provide it. If you don't want to pay £8 a month or so for your share of the fixed costs, expect to have that money taken from you by other means. At £8 a month calls and texts will be basically free, the only thing that still has a marginal value is data. at £16 to £20 a month, expect data to be free too.

MP.

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I did always wonder how long they could hold out with their 3 2 1 pricing structure.

It always seemed a 'little to good to be true'.

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yeah, it's linked in the article.  

Note that you have to credit it with at least £10 every 4 months though.

I've had a 1p mobile sim for a couple of years, hardly use it now but make a call now and then to keep it active, have occasional text to warn me it will be disconnected it I don't top up by a certain date, I ignore them but sim stays active.