Water Can

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

I've recently acquired this water can. On the bottom is a little sticker which says "Hand painted by Chris Ramsey" and has a defunct telephone number. This is a name I'm not familiar with. I don't know if Chris Ramsey is male or female. The roses have, to my eye, a slight touch of Phil Speight's influence. I'm certain that there are people on here who can give me more information about the can and its painter. I'd be grateful for anything you could give me.1390253643_thumbnail_20210113_145228_resized(1).jpg.02cee579962f357ce35f44937acc308c.jpgthumbnail_20210113_145238_resized.jpg.0170897ea5e4aa4c75e9c50190dd01e9.jpgthumbnail_20210113_145306_resized.jpg.a876000f77501a33ffa348287c7de66b.jpg

Edited by monkeyhanger
Added info.

16 hours ago, GRLMK38 said:

I am not familiar with Chris Ramsey but here is a recent example of Phil's work (still in progress) for comparison. 

PS_Roses.jpg.81991044dfb9f85834d65b2157a48003.jpg

16 hours ago, GRLMK38 said:

I am not familiar with Chris Ramsey but here is a recent example of Phil's work (still in progress) for comparison. 

PS_Roses.jpg.81991044dfb9f85834d65b2157a48003.jpg

Thanks for the photo. Comparing the two cans, there seems to be little similarity between the two. However, each item of "canal art" is individual, and people's styles change and develop as time goes by. My can is much older than yours, and Phil's work from, say, 20 years ago would be different to that of today. I have no idea how old my can is, but there is something about the brush strokes on the roses that reminded me of Phil's work. Perhaps Chris Ramsey based her style on that of Phil, and then, over time, developed it into her own?

16 hours ago, dave moore said:

I knew Chris, female, though I’ve not seen her for a few years. I think she lived on s boat in the Braunston area in those days and was quite prolific. 

Thanks, Dave. I knew you'd be able to come up with something. I'd have contacted you personally but for some reason I appear to have lost your number. Regards, Jack

22 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

Thanks for the photo. Comparing the two cans, there seems to be little similarity between the two. However, each item of "canal art" is individual, and people's styles change and develop as time goes by. My can is much older than yours, and Phil's work from, say, 20 years ago would be different to that of today. I have no idea how old my can is, but there is something about the brush strokes on the roses that reminded me of Phil's work. Perhaps Chris Ramsey based her style on that of Phil, and then, over time, developed it into her own?

I totally agree that all pieces are individual and that's what makes canal art interesting.  The one I posted is still being painted and Phil has told me that after 40 years he is still learning and trying new things.  He has taught lots of people over the years so there is a good chance that his style will come through in others.  Enjoy your can and the research of its history.