The Mercian 1972

Dav and Pen

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Watneys. Ales have certainly improved since Red Barrel and others. Where was the Rose and Crown in Braunston?

Surely they haven't been brewed for many years?

I suppose that back in 1972 we thought that Watney's was beer. If their advert paid for the magazine's print run, then fair enough.

It's interesting to see which pubs near the waterways were Watney's establishments back then.

17 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Watneys. Ales have certainly improved since Red Barrel and others. Where was the Rose and Crown in Braunston?

Are you suggesting Watneys Party 7 was not a premier ale. I remember looking out my wiindow at work and seeing Watney's beer being delivered by tanker and pumped direct into the pub opposite's cellar. ?

watneys owned most of these pubs after taking over Phipps NBC in Northampton where they put in the Red Barrel production line. My father who worked there said they brought the brewery out because they could supply N London quicker from Northampton than from the London brewery. The Rose and Castle was the name of the Boatman.

Edited by Dav and Pen
Content

Just now, Slim said:

Are you suggesting Watneys Party 7 was not a premier ale. I remember looking out my wiindow at work and seeing Watney's beer being delivered by tanker and pumped direct into the pub opposite's cellar. ?

Not uncommon, even now: attendees at the Cropredy Festival have enjoyed Wadworth's 6X, a respected "cask ale", for years. But look behind the bar area and you'll see that it's delivered in a bleedin' great tanker lorry.

My uncle had Carringtons pub in shepherds bush and it was really busy There was a queue outside when they opened at I think 5pm. The beer came by Tanker lorry but he had to put the finings into the tanks. This system needed a really large throughput.

52 minutes ago, Slim said:

Still horrible beer though.

56 minutes ago, Athy said:

Surely they haven't been brewed for many years?

I suppose that back in 1972 we thought that Watney's was beer. If their advert paid for the magazine's print run, then fair enough.

It's interesting to see which pubs near the waterways were Watney's establishments back then.

Mike. You missed my full stop I think.

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Mike. You missed my full stop I think.

Nope, I meant that the disappearance of Watney's has led to a general increase in average quality amongst British beers.

I rarely drank Watneys, I preferred Double Diamond. I had class.....

The power of advertising, an earworm.

"Drink Red Barrel near or far, 

Pub or club or any bar

What's the drink where ever you are?

Drink Watney's Keg Red Barrel."

(5) WATNEYS "ROLL OUT RED BARREL" BREWERIANA - YouTube

I named one of my Fireball's "Red Barrel."

It had a Red Barrel on the transom.

I still have 3 Red Barrel key rings.

Personally I never liked the stuff.

Fire ball 11464.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Athy said:

Nope, I meant that the disappearance of Watney's has led to a general increase in average quality amongst British beers.

I rarely drank Watneys, I preferred Double Diamond. I had class.....

DoubleDiamond. Well, what can I say.

A great deal of pubs in the Portsmouth area were fed by the Brickwoods Brewery in the town. Was bought by Whitbread which was no better a brew.

24 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Picture of Nelson when it was Watneys. Now it’s Everards the beers not much better

There's nowt wrong with a pint of their 'Tiger' best bitter.

Everard's must be one of the largest remaining family-owned breweries in the U.K., which is another reason to drink their products.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Not uncommon, even now: attendees at the Cropredy Festival have enjoyed Wadworth's 6X, a respected "cask ale", for years. But look behind the bar area and you'll see that it's delivered in a bleedin' great tanker lorry.

Are you really suggesting that 6X is delivered in bulk liquid and pumped like kerosene into the pub?

It couldn't be sold as a cask ale if it was, which is surely it's main selling point.  

49 minutes ago, Athy said:

There's nowt wrong with a pint of their 'Tiger' best bitter.

Everard's must be one of the largest remaining family-owned breweries in the U.K., which is another reason to drink their products.

It comes from Leicester so if you are a Northampton man it must be bad!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Are you really suggesting that 6X is delivered in bulk liquid and pumped like kerosene into the pub?

It couldn't be sold as a cask ale if it was, which is surely it's main selling point.  

I was in a Wadworth pub in Devizes. Asked for a pint of 6X. Was to,d they hadn’t got any. I offered to go and collect a barrel for them. There was a deafening hush in the pub. 

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

Its main selling point is that it tastes nice.

I'm sure some of it is delivered in barrels, but it would be surprising if it went by bulk tanker to the Cropredy Festival and nowhere else.

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

Its main selling point is that it tastes nice.

I'm sure some of it is delivered in barrels, but it would be surprising if it went by bulk tanker to the Cropredy Festival and nowhere else.

I've just always presumed that 6X was sold as a real ale, not a "bright" beer. 

4 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

I've just always presumed that 6X was sold as a real ale, not a "bright" beer. 

I'm not an expert on brewing but I assume that, since you can get it in cans (and I do), they must brew two versions of it.

23 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I was in a Wadworth pub in Devizes. Asked for a pint of 6X. Was to,d they hadn’t got any. I offered to go and collect a barrel for them. There was a deafening hush in the pub. 

my drinking group always said that 6X was a beer that ‘didn’t travel well’.   We were repeating this whilst drinking pints of not too great 6X once except that we were in the brewery tap in Devizes!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1