European waterways

dor

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I didn't watch it, but the schedule is here:

https://www.pbsamerica.co.uk/series/europes-waterways/

Is that a paid for thing where you have to subscribe and be a member. The wife wanted something last week and I had to join Spotify, now that's a pain keep popping up on the computer

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is that a paid for thing where you have to subscribe and be a member. The wife wanted something last week and I had to join Spotify, now that's a pain keep popping up on the computer

Its on freesat ch 155 freeview ch 91

At 10pm tonight 

Edited by Loddon

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

No, it's just the TV listing/schedule of what's on the PBS channel.  You can't watch it on there but you can see when it's going to be on.  Radio Times would do the same job, but that pages lists all the episodes of that show and tells you when each one will be broadcast.

Just watched it-  recorded to skip adverts.

Interesting programme.  There are actually some good documentaries on PBS .  I use tvguide.co.uk  to check what's on,  pick your area and which  channels to cover.

Edited by dor

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The Poland one had an incline plane in it

There were two canals with inclined planes in what is Poland today, though the inclines were built on what was then Prussian soil. The one still in operation is the Elblag or Oberland Canal, which has five inclines, four powered by waterwheels, and the last one, which replaced a short flight of locks, having a turbine. The other was the Klodnitz Canal between the mines at Chorzow ad the ironworks at Gleiwitz (Gliwice). Based on the Duke of Bridgewater's Canal, coal was carried from underground in boxes. The drawing shows one of the two inclines on the section of canal in the open, and the small bridge is the first cast iron bridge to be built outside of the UK. John Baildon, who was probably trained by Smeaton, went to work for the Prussians in Upper Silesia and was responsible for many improvements to iron founding in the area, as well as the bridge.

Zabrze incline.jpg