Gear lever

Roxylass

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Roxylass said:

Am I correct in saying that when winterising the gear lever should be left in forward gear

gearbox in question lm 100

Lister Lm 100 gear box ? If so best left in neutral so the lined cone is not engaged in the drum where it can stick. In forward gear it would be left engaged.

A bit like leaving a cars handbrake on for an extended period of time, brake shoe material can stick to the drums and be difficult to free off.

Edited by bizzard

2 minutes ago, Roxylass said:

Sure that I read on here somewhere should be left in forward 

but as the norm I will be taking your advice 

many thanks bizzard

I think you are mixing up with the fact that that particular gearbox locks into forward if it fails in order to get you home?

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think you are mixing up with the fact that that particular gearbox locks into forward if it fails in order to get you home?

That's the LH150 that automatically goes into fore gear when engine stops and in the event of hydraulic failure, the manual LM100 doesn't of course. 

I can't think of any marine gearbox that should be left in any gear but neutral over winter. If anyone is really worried about the LH150 the could always jack the ahead clutch out of mesh by putting a longer screw into the centre of the triangular plate on the back of the box. Probably only worth doing if you are leaving it for years.

1 minute ago, Roxylass said:

Last post was meant for two posts up 

I was going to put a smiley on but decided it was not required.

We have actually spent the last week or so frozen in and did not fall down any hills ?

The water system is the vulnerable bit, it can be difficult to drain, last couple of times we left the boat in wintder I used "potable" antifreeze. Connected a short hose from the feed pipe (near the tank) to the antifreeze pot and used the boat pump to fill the system. Afterwards can recover almost all of it to use again next year.

...............Dave

I only put Wee Ruby on the hard standing because there is a burn that runs into the harbour 

during the winter months some really big spates come down it 

two years ago it took three boats and their moorings all were recovered thankfully 

i wasn’t one of them