Engine compartment

Daniel Grantham

Featured Posts

Hi I’m looking to buy a narrowboat and I have came across one which I like the lady has sent me pictures and I asked for ones of the engine bay , to me their is lots of rust under engine and the engines paint has been stripped and also it looks like their are air filter and parts missing can anyone advice thankyou 

Thankyou everyone for your comments I have been to look at it now as you have all said it’s surfaced rust and it doesn’t have an air filter at the top , they. Gave me surveying report and when looking at it I was concerned on the stern tube when I went out to view they said he tightens the nuts as water seeps in is   this exspensive to replace the stern tube and pack the gland I’ve sent the survey report to look thank you 

B387660D-4F6E-4228-A3C7-691CDEF60691.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you intentionally duplicating posts hoping to get a different answer ?

Engine compartment - New to Boating? - Canal World

Its a new member, on places like FB you post in lots of groups to get lots of answers.

45 minutes ago, Daniel Grantham said:

Thankyou everyone for your comments I have been to look at it now as you have all said it’s surfaced rust and it doesn’t have an air filter at the top , they. Gave me surveying report and when looking at it I was concerned on the stern tube when I went out to view they said he tightens the nuts as water seeps in is   this exspensive to replace the stern tube and pack the gland I’ve sent the survey report to look thank you 

B387660D-4F6E-4228-A3C7-691CDEF60691.jpeg

If there is slack in the bearing then the packing will always wear as the shaft moves about

• Greenie 1