Lining Paneling Question

Batainte

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Batainte said:

Would you know would be the product he used? Trying to navigate the seas of materials and brands nowadays is rather overwhelming 

I don’t, but it would certainly be an oil based product, probably a yacht varnish of some brand, perhaps Tekaloid. 

2 hours ago, Batainte said:

Thats super helpful, thanks for this suggestion. Was actually considering to use hardwood pieces for the ceiling.
Firstly would line the ceiling with sealed (oil based undercoat preferably with 2+ layers) 9mm marine ply and then screwing+ gluing T&G hardwood pieces lengthways. Wondering how this might work?

How much would that weigh?

Wondering what would you use for the furniture (kitchen cabinets, wardrobe) instead of water resistant MDF? Surely OSB wouldnt be good enough for carcases?

I used Ply

2 hours ago, Batainte said:

Thats super helpful, thanks for this suggestion. Was actually considering to use hardwood pieces for the ceiling.
Firstly would line the ceiling with sealed (oil based undercoat preferably with 2+ layers) 9mm marine ply and then screwing+ gluing T&G hardwood pieces lengthways. Wondering how this might work?

Actually was experiencing this when refitting another boat a year ago- the grooves had to continuously repainted due to timber "movement" as it swells and shrinks. Best is to do it right the first time (even if it takes extra time) 

Wondering what would you use for the furniture (kitchen cabinets, wardrobe) instead of water resistant MDF? Surely OSB wouldnt be good enough for carcases?

Birch ply with 4mm veneered ply facings.  Or construct framing in hardwood and veneered ply panels.

On 11/01/2021 at 12:51, ditchcrawler said:

I used waterproof MDF for my ceiling some 20 years ago and would rate it much higher than WPB ply. Some of that old 20 year old stuff is still kicking around the yard and is as sound as the day it was bought.

I used green waterproof MDF for a bathroom counter about 13 years ago which I tiled. It's still fine. I remember leaving an offcut outside for a good 6 months in the rain and sun. It bleached out a bit and went yellow but otherwise it was as good as new. A neighbour asked me if he could use it for something so it didn't go to waste. I don't see how such a resilient material can be dismissed so easily.

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I used green waterproof MDF for a bathroom counter about 13 years ago which I tiled. It's still fine. I remember leaving an offcut outside for a good 6 months in the rain and sun. It bleached out a bit and went yellow but otherwise it was as good as new. A neighbour asked me if he could use it for something so it didn't go to waste. I don't see how such a resilient material can be dismissed so easily.

So I am not the only one? I was wondering.

.............  and much of the so-called "marine ply" is absolute rubbish.

I use high grade birch ply for all applications where I need a stable, stiff and strong panel.   If it is adequately sealed it is IMHO as good as anything although it isn't cheap.  However it is necessary to design your fit-out so that there is ventilation to all enclosed spaces and any potential water traps are eliminated as far as possible.