Engine compartment

Daniel Grantham

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Robert B. said:

Is that not a PRM 120 mechanical box? Looks identical to the one on Sara, which is a 120. 

Yes it is, I didn't want to appear to be a nosey pedant and risk war with the poster but I knew he was wrong as soon as I saw it. A much better box than the dreaded Hurth.

But as you obviously are more thick skinned than I, I'll agree with you!

1 hour ago, Mike Adams said:

I would not be too concerned about the paint on the engine. The Isuzu is good engine but the marinisers did a very poor paint job.

Yes the paint is flaking off my Isuzu. Not as bad as the one in the pictures though.

Edited by blackrose

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Apart from the stuff mentioned above, when was that filter last changed? It looks like it's been there since the old King died, so I'd have alarm bells about the engine's service history. What other maintenance hasn't been done?

That's what I'd be looking at too. The rusty bilges aren't necessarily a problem if it's just superficial rust, but the fact it hasn't been scurfed out and repainted might indicate something about the owner's maintenance regime - or lack thereof.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

This can be a very good feature for folk with smelly feet, continual washing them whilst underway.

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

A way to cure this is to get a neoprene ring, larger than the rudder stock shaft and fit it around the rudder stock itself below the counter when the boat is next in dry dock.

Sorry don't have a photo.

Not my boat. Picture courtesy of  κουκουβάγια 

IMG_0198.jpg

Thank you

Thankyou everyone for advise

8 hours ago, Bee said:

My mistake, thought it was a Hurth or something like it.

The PRM 120 is no longer made, I think mine is end of life , 18 years old, Boat Services are coming today to look at it, but they think they will replace rather than repair, any comments?

My Isuzu is scruffy paint job, but not as bad as OPs.

I flushed my engine twice with some spare oil, then put in Classic Oil, it  has done 250 hours with only half a litre to top up. Robust engines. No air filter on mine.

Edited by LadyG

On 11/01/2021 at 17:52, Mike Adams said:

I would not be too concerned about the paint on the engine. The Isuzu is good engine but the marinisers did a very poor paint job.

Could be that the engine has been overheating/pushed hard on a regular basis, causing the head to get very hot which results in the paint looking like this. I have seen this a lot however on Isuzu engines in Narrowboats. 

Edited by PD1964

On 12/01/2021 at 03:23, LadyG said:

The PRM 120 is no longer made, I think mine is end of life , 18 years old, Boat Services are coming today to look at it, but they think they will replace rather than repair, any comments?

My Isuzu is scruffy paint job, but not as bad as OPs.

I flushed my engine twice with some spare oil, then put in Classic Oil, it  has done 250 hours with only half a litre to top up. Robust engines. No air filter on mine.

Update, the PRM120 gearbox is OK, the Morse lever controls were solid with old grease.

The engineer showed me the Isuzu air inlet, which is a tiny thing, integral to the engine, I think I'll sacrifice a toothbrush to make sure its free of dirt, that's about all the maintenance it seems to need. 

Edited by LadyG

11 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Could be that the engine has been overheating/pushed hard on a regular basis, causing the head to get very hot which results in the paint looking like this. I have seen this a lot however on Isuzu engines in Narrowboats. 

That is a possibility but it may also be due to the fact that that engine has a one piece aluminum head cover which unless prepared and painted correctly will not take the paint well especially with thermal cycling and the expansion rate of aluminium. Due to its complex shape I bet It was not that well prepared when painted. The problem of head gasket failure on some of these engines is probably due to a poor skin tank cooling system.

I understood the paint on marine engines was a coating put on so that any leaks found on commissioning were easily spotted. My Perkins was spayed blue when new, and that included all the hoses!! Still a lot of blue after 32 years, except where some components have been changed or serviced, like filters, injectors, alternator and starter motor.

Aluminium needs a good etch primer or something dangerous like ferric chloride (Think that's what it is, its in the shed and I'm not going to check) ) to etch it before putting any paint on it. I use ferric stuff on brass and al name plates if they need painting or background picking out. It makes metal go black and fume visibly but paint sticks. Used to do it in the kitchen but I got banned.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have you bought a new one then?

Not a new engine, it would be very inconvenient to stand on, not a new gearbox as the PRM120 was not faulty, it was the nylon control lever needed stripping and reassembly. 

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Not a new engine, it would be very inconvenient to stand on, not a new gearbox as the PRM120 was not faulty, it was the nylon control lever needed stripping and reassembly. 

Yes I’ve put a deposit down and finalise on the 1st feb it’s at Mercia marina but I am from Birmingham