Stourport to Bristol is it possible?

Busterboy

Featured Posts

Interesting stuff - I'd almost forgotten how much I once knew!  I have also passed the Ocean Yachtmaster Theory course, which I really enjoyed, particularly the celestial navigation. However, having thoroughly ploughed all of the oceans in ships, there was no way I wanted to do all the required time out of sight of land in a small yacht required to gain the full Ocean Yachtmaster qualification, thanks! Much respect to those who do though - as long as they have the good sense not to do it in an inappropriate vessel (pretty much a given for a yachtmaster, I think)! ;)

• Greenie 1

On 19/01/2021 at 19:47, jetzi said:

The RYA site says the prerequisites for the Day Skippers is "5 days, 100 miles, 4 night hours on board a sailing yacht"

I've been out on a sailboat before for 2-3 hours, but just did as I was told and I didn't really know anything or learn anything. So I think you need to have some kind of background in order to take the course.

And sailing is quite another thing to motorboating, isn't it? Learning how to sail seems quite a lot more than just learning to handle a motorboat in open water?

You are looking at the wrong one - I thought I had said previously there is a sailing or Motorboat version,

I also said that even if you only did the theory course it would be advantageous to you.

Day Skipper

Take charge on short passages under instruction, with help and advice from your instructor.

Before attending the course you should be able to navigate and are well advised to attend the RYA Day Skipper shorebased course to brush up on your skills (see Navigation and seamanship theory on the left).

Requirements & Outcomes

Pre-course experience 2 days practical experience on a motor cruiser
Assumed knowledge Theory to the level of Day Skipper. It is recommended that you attend the Day Skipper Shorebased Course before taking this practical course
Minimum duration 4 days
Minimum age 16
Course content Preparation for sea, boat handling, navigation, pilotage, passage making, meteorology, rules of the road, engines, emergency situations, night cruising
Ability after the course Able to skipper a motor cruiser in familiar waters by day

Day Skipper Shorebased (Theory) Course

Advertisements
Find books

A comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers.

This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.

We are continually updating our courses to take into account developments in technology and the electronic navigation aids now available on most cruising boats. 

We have northern and southern hemisphere versions of our training materials. So, no matter where you are in the world, our course can be tailored to you.

The course is taught over 40 hours with two exam papers. It can be covered as a series of short sessions, as an intensive week-long course, or by distance learning.

Course topics include:

• the basics of seamanship
  • the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
  • chartwork
  • electronic charts
  • position fixing
  • plotting a course to steer
  • weather forecasting and meteorology
  • tides
  • collision regulations
  • construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
  • emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts

Edited by Alan de Enfield

15 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Interesting stuff - I'd almost forgotten how much I once knew!  I have also passed the Ocean Yachtmaster Theory course, which I really enjoyed, particularly the celestial navigation. However, having thoroughly ploughed all of the oceans in ships, there was no way I wanted to do all the required time out of sight of land in a small yacht required to gain the full Ocean Yachtmaster qualification, thanks! Much respect to those who do though - as long as they have the good sense not to do it in an inappropriate vessel (pretty much a given for a yachtmaster, I think)! ;)

ha ha same here.     if one has to cross an ocean then having a few thousand tons under your feet is a nice feeling.... 

• 4 weeks later...

"Celandine", the narrowboat I owned in the mid-1980s was a 41' Mindon. She had a cruiser stern with a square transom, and was designed for the occasional foray into tidal waters. In particular, there was a much higher bow than on any other narrowboat I've ever seen, and her engine was a 3-cylinder air-cooled Lister, when normally, a 2-cylinder Lister would have been sufficient. The propeller was large diameter, too.

During my ownership, Celandine never left the tranquil inland waterways, but I would have felt safe taking her on the Severn. However, many narrowboats have such low bows and small props that I would hesitate to enter the sea in such a vessel.

My current boat, Cordelia, is a 54' river barge with a 12' beam When Covid allows, and when both the boat and I feel fully prepared, I propose to take her down the Thames to Dover and thence to Calais. I will wait weeks, if necessary, for an ideal weather window. The engine is a Gardner 6LW with a large prop, so power should be sufficient. 

I am in the process of fitting a pair of 2" diameter scupper valves to the bow well, which oddly enough, has none as yet. For the crossing the bow doors will not only be taped up, but a bolted-on vertical sheet of ply will produce a secure waterproof barrier to cover the doors. Also, the entire bow well deck will be covered with a temporary plywood "pitched roof"  to discourage any rogue wave getting into the bow-well. (During the voyage the canvas cover will be stored inside; it's far too expensive to let it be smashed by a breaking wave!) 

barge2short.JPG

barge3 bow.jpg

• Happy 1