Historic Canal Film

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

On 26/01/2021 at 09:59, Flyboy said:

I had this on my Ebay watch list and the seller has offered it to me for £3. I already have a copy but thought someone may be interested.  I'm not in any way connected with the seller if anyone is concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of nights ago (Wed 10th Feb) Talking Pictures TV showed  a 30 min episode of "Scotland Yard" called (I think)  The Grand Junction. It was about a murder where a body was found in a London canal and showed some scenes of the inside of a working boat where the deed had apparently been done, as well as a boatyard office where the guy in charge was the main suspect . I only caught part of it. It was made in 1961.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo47 said:

A couple of nights ago (Wed 10th Feb) Talking Pictures TV showed  a 30 min episode of "Scotland Yard" called (I think)  The Grand Junction. It was about a murder where a body was found in a London canal and showed some scenes of the inside of a working boat where the deed had apparently been done, as well as a boatyard office where the guy in charge was the main suspect . I only caught part of it. It was made in 1961.

gj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Like that it has bigmere in!

How many boats called otter can they fit in?

Was quite a cool film, nice to see the converted to pleasure craft rub by bw shows an era that seams to have been missed (the not working but working boat era guess sort of early conversions)

Edited by billybobbooth

I remember the zoo boats flying along. The rule was on the regents if its concrete on both sides give the boats the beans. We used to fly down that stretch, only slowing after the tunnel coming towards brownings pool. 
Once through the stop and onto the Paddington arm it was wind it up as hard as you can once you were past the houseboats.

2 hours ago, Derek R. said:

The Zoo Waterbus must have started up in the early sixties. I was working as a keeper around then and remember the staging being built (I think!).

They did hammer up and down.

I have seen pictures of trip boats at Little Venice from as early as 1957

This film is date 1950's:

(3) Barge Down the River Thames, 1950s UK, 35mm - YouTube

This one 1959:

(3) Little Venice (1959) - YouTube

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1

• 3 months later...
On 20/01/2021 at 18:28, ChrisJBrady said:

Canal Children - episode one

This had been my dad Kim McGavin's boat, Grace, a couple years before this - It belonged to a guy named Tony at the time of filming. My dad's friend Stef worked for the BBC and they rented Grace and our boats Hawkesbury & Bingley to ferry the crew and cast about.  I've always been told this story and I've since watched the film online and I've always thought this was our boat, Sirius, at the time but I was wrong. So many boats in such a short period.

Edited by JoeSlow

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Found another in the depths of my PC files.

Sorry, don't know who to credit them to.

k2ub.jpg

Oh wow, thank you so much. What's your connection?

Are these full size or would you be able to email me copies?

Up until his departure from this mortal coil I believe many of Tony's canal artifacts were on display in Badsey's Cafe at Hillmorton.
These were returned to his family on his demise.

Tony in 2008.
Again I am unable to credit the photo.

Tony Miles in 2008.jpg

48 minutes ago, JoeSlow said:

Oh wow, thank you so much. What's your connection?

Are these full size or would you be able to email me copies?

I have no connection other than being an amature canal historian.

The photo's are "full size."

I am unable to give consent to copy them as the originals are not mine.

It may be the either the late Lawrence Hogg or the late Harry Arnold, but I am unsure.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Up until his departure from this mortal coil I believe many of Tony's canal artifacts were on display in Badsey's Cafe at Hillmorton.
These were returned to his family on his demise.

Tony in 2008.
Again I am unable to credit the photo.

Tony Miles in 2008.jpg

I have no connection other than being an amature canal historian.

The photo's are "full size."

I am unable to give consent to copy them as the originals are not mine.

OK, no worries. Thanks anyway.

I'm sure my dad will enjoy seeing these pictures. He's there somewhere out of shot. That's Hawkesbury at the back by the looks of it.

That was our home and mum tells me we lived in the hedge at Braunston all summer while it was being used for the shoot. I'm really not sure where we slept.

So this is Tony, who Kim sold Grace to.

You may be interested to read another thread I started yesterday regarding Kim's other boats, specifically Sirius, which I was born onto and i have now tracked down to Jem Bates' yard reunited with Arcturus.

I'm sorry to say that the gent pictured is the "Other" Tony Miles, who was apparently involved with Keay's boatyard at one time. Tony Miles of "Grace" fame was a teacher who went on to run the Coventry Waterways scheme up until his retirement in 1996. After parting with the "Grace" he had the "Capricorn" for many years.

• Greenie 2