Vetus vacu flush toilet blockage

Timx

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Timx said:

Hi thanks for answers, it’s a vetus vacu flush to remote tank with a macerator, I did ring a man who advised me not to poke things down the bowl in case I ruptured something, advised filling the bowl with water and leave for a few hours, which I have done, and tried a plunger but with no luck. So I will empty water out of bowl tomorrow, and poke a wooden stick down there tomorrow,maybe with some hot water first, if that’s the advice. 

Ah, a wooden stick will almost certainly not clear it. The blockage will probably be in the first few inches of the right angle pipe bends that leave the base of the thing and exit from either the side or the back of the base, Worth a try but you might have to fiddle with a bit of bent wire.  I don't think there are any delicate things down there but if it is a Vetus there just might be.

29 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Couldnt see one with a vacuum system and a macerator!

Looking at the trouble shooting guide, For macerator working but no water pumped out - do a descale!

If there is a blockage in the macerator it says that you would hear that as a different noise (ie Rattling ) in the macerator.

It would be very useful if the OP posts exactly what type of toilet he has, and if it is a vacuum system (which I doubt) to tell us if the vacuum pump is pumping when flushing.

OMG, aren't composting toilets more simple!

31 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Couldnt see one with a vacuum system and a macerator!

Looking at the trouble shooting guide, For macerator working but no water pumped out - do a descale!

If there is a blockage in the macerator it says that you would hear that as a different noise (ie Rattling ) in the macerator.

It would be very useful if the OP posts exactly what type of toilet he has, and if it is a vacuum system (which I doubt) to tell us if the vacuum pump is pumping when flushing.

OMG, aren't composting toilets more simple!

Sorry, you have to go back one page

image.png.f44111e6849ecbefdc3a349e45e8f4ec.png

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sorry, you have to go back one page

image.png.f44111e6849ecbefdc3a349e45e8f4ec.png

Yes that looks like the fellow, today I bailed out the water in the bowl, and tried to get my hand around in there but looks like it’s a u bend so could only get my fingers around the top, so no chance of poking a stick in there. 
Took it to a marina, who tried a suction contraption on it but no joy. Advised to fill with hot water, but on reflection, with the u bend can’t see that working, then to try one of those metal whirlybird pipe cleaners, which I have got , just couldn’t find it tonight, so will try that tomorrow. 
if that doesn’t work, looks like taking the toilet out and washing down, Damn.

13 hours ago, Timx said:

Yes that looks like the fellow, today I bailed out the water in the bowl, and tried to get my hand around in there but looks like it’s a u bend so could only get my fingers around the top, so no chance of poking a stick in there. 
Took it to a marina, who tried a suction contraption on it but no joy. Advised to fill with hot water, but on reflection, with the u bend can’t see that working, then to try one of those metal whirlybird pipe cleaners, which I have got , just couldn’t find it tonight, so will try that tomorrow. 
if that doesn’t work, looks like taking the toilet out and washing down, Damn.

We have exactly that system and the only times it has failed in that way was when our batteries were knackered.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to finish this subject off, the blockage was on the other side of the macerator, it was blocked in the elbow joint into the tank. It was calcified up,and had got blocked there.

The joint from the hose ,from the macerator into holding tank is made at almost half the diameter of the hose from toilet.The calcification, decreased this further, and it was a problem waiting to happen.

Forward advice is to increase the diameter into the tank and accompanying elbow joint  pipe work.
I was amazed it was such a small bore into holding tank when the rest of system piping is twice the size.

But boat is 12 years old, I have had it for  5 years and not a problem before.

Thanks for previous answers, it was just a macerator, not a vacu flush.

A propos of nothing: I see that a few isuues above mention scaling of the discharge pipe.

Our seagoing boat, which I bought at about 11 years old in 1996, one toilet started to have flushing problems a year or two into ownership, and limescale was suspected.

Having tried a variety of solutions to dissolve the scale, I removed one of the pipes, cutting it in a variety of places, (about 2+ metres of 38mm pipe, wending its' way from the loo to the discharge valve).

It was scaled solid, with a very small hole left for flushing stuff through... no wonder it had become difficult to flush. Even bashing the chopped up lengths on the mooring wasn't enough to dislodge more than a bit of the scale.

When the second toilet started to have similar problems, I didn't bother with trying to dissolve any scale - just bought some expensive Vetus discharge pipe, got the old stuff out, and fitted the new stuff, (much easier said than done :( ).

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

A propos of nothing: I see that a few isuues above mention scaling of the discharge pipe.

Our seagoing boat, which I bought at about 11 years old in 1996, one toilet started to have flushing problems a year or two into ownership, and limescale was suspected.

Having tried a variety of solutions to dissolve the scale, I removed one of the pipes, cutting it in a variety of places, (about 2+ metres of 38mm pipe, wending its' way from the loo to the discharge valve).

It was scaled solid, with a very small hole left for flushing stuff through... no wonder it had become difficult to flush. Even bashing the chopped up lengths on the mooring wasn't enough to dislodge more than a bit of the scale.

When the second toilet started to have similar problems, I didn't bother with trying to dissolve any scale - just bought some expensive Vetus discharge pipe, got the old stuff out, and fitted the new stuff, (much easier said than done :( ).

I agree with Richard here about how difficult it is to remove scale.

However this was a lumpy water boat and I saw a build up of scale on ours in just a couple of years. Problem here is the salt in the salt water reacts with the urine to produce a very strong scale. For canals, it won't be as bad .......but will be worse in hard water areas. 

Im just glad I've switched to a 'dry' toilet with no pipes to get clogged!

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

I agree with Richard here about how difficult it is to remove scale.

However this was a lumpy water boat and I saw a build up of scale on ours in just a couple of years. Problem here is the salt in the salt water reacts with the urine to produce a very strong scale. For canals, it won't be as bad .......but will be worse in hard water areas. 

Im just glad I've switched to a 'dry' toilet with no pipes to get clogged!

It was quite a problem with the urinals when I worked Offshore