Planning the restoration of 'Alnwick'

Featured Posts

Having progressed well with the work on our cottage, our next major project is to return our boat to a satisfactory state.

We have already had a visit from a highly respected boat painter and the professional advice is that, as a first step, we should get the boat grit blasted all over and then sprayed with an epoxy primer. The hull has been blacked with two pack epoxy (and re-coated every two of three years) from new but the upper works are really showing signs of our total neglect during recent years.

So the question is, has anyone here put their boat through a similar process? If so, we would appreciate any guidance on who the best contractors are and/or what the likely cost might be.

We have just had our boat blasted back to bare metal and repainted with epifanes two pack polyurethane. Paint is hard as nails and looks great.

It was done by 

https://tolandlindasboatpainting.co.uk/ up on the Nene. Excellent people excellent job.

All fixtures and fittings taken off cleaned up and lacquered so it all looks like new.

Only downside is that despite deep cleaning the inside we are still finding pockets of grit. ?

P&S Marine at Watford also do shot blast and 2 pack  and have done cabins.

You have to be careful blasting the cabin. Blasting compresses the surface of steel, and can easily distort thinner plate.  That is why you can not easily buy 4 mm and thinner  blasted and primed plate but have to have pickled and primed plate.

It can be done, with the right blast media and settings.  I would want to confirm the blaster is experienced in thin plate work.

As Loddon notes it makes a filthy mess, and the grit gets everywhere.

If you go for a 2 pack to coat be aware that it can be a bugger to touch up.

N

58 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

Having progressed well with the work on our cottage, our next major project is to return our boat to a satisfactory state.

We have already had a visit from a highly respected boat painter and the professional advice is that, as a first step, we should get the boat grit blasted all over and then sprayed with an epoxy primer. The hull has been blacked with two pack epoxy (and re-coated every two of three years) from new but the upper works are really showing signs of our total neglect during recent years.

So the question is, has anyone here put their boat through a similar process? If so, we would appreciate any guidance on who the best contractors are and/or what the likely cost might be.

Some before, during and after pictures would be great too, if you get chance.

59 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

the upper works are really showing signs of our total neglect during recent years.

That may be your perception. To me, as a near mooring neighbour, I've often thought that its patina of age and use enhances the already chunky and purposeful lines of the boat - a bit like the O4 2-8-0s that I used to see as a kid at Darnall locoshed. They always looked more imposing with a layer of grime on them. "Working condition", I think they call it.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

That may be your perception. To me, as a near mooring neighbour, I've often thought that its patina of age and use enhances the already chunky and purposeful lines of the boat - a bit like the O4 2-8-0s that I used to see as a kid at Darnall locoshed. They always looked more imposing with a layer of grime on them. "Working condition", I think they call it.

True  but Darnall was always known for the immaculate condition of their diesel locomotives - I remember seeing their type 3s and type 4s on the York - Bournemouth expresses.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

We have just had our boat blasted back to bare metal and repainted with epifanes two pack polyurethane. Paint is hard as nails and looks great.

It was done by 

https://tolandlindasboatpainting.co.uk/ up on the Nene. Excellent people excellent job.

All fixtures and fittings taken off cleaned up and lacquered so it all looks like new.

Only downside is that despite deep cleaning the inside we are still finding pockets of grit. ?

Even though I only had my boat gritblasted up to the top rubbing strake some of it got into the boat. That was despite me taping up the hatches and putting plastic bags over the roof vents. It took me a full day to sweep/vacuum the grit off the outside of the boat.

1 minute ago, Phoenix_V said:

just a quick supplementary I take it their 2 pack blast and blacking includes the bottom plate?

I didn't have two pack blacking as it was £1600 more and I am only keeping the boat for 5 years so not worth it.

With ordinary blacking in my case  it wasnt done as there is no need since base plate is 15mm and in 27 years has pitting of  <1mm 

• Greenie 1

On 09/01/2021 at 15:33, NB Alnwick said:

Talk to @cheshire~rose she and Dave had Delhi painted this year on the Shroppie and it is an excellent job