4k Planar air diesel heater

Bronco99

Featured Posts

I've decided on one of these heaters for my 27' x 9' cruiser. Its in Worcester but even though I'm buying it from the official dealer I can't afford any of their official partners installation costs. I don't have the skills to do it myself. I have all the parts necessary. Are there any non cowboys around who can install with 2 outlets into a a cruiser like mine for 300?

https://planarheaters.co.uk/store/ols/products/planar-diesel-heater-kit-2kw-12-or-24-volt

Edited by Bronco99
additional link

8 hours ago, Bronco99 said:

I've decided on one of these heaters for my 27' x 9' cruiser. Its in Worcester but even though I'm buying it from the official dealer I can't afford any of their official partners installation costs. I don't have the skills to do it myself. I have all the parts necessary. Are there any non cowboys around who can install with 2 outlets into a a cruiser like mine for 300?

https://planarheaters.co.uk/store/ols/products/planar-diesel-heater-kit-2kw-12-or-24-volt

If you have all the bits and presumably the instructions I don't really see what skills are needed apart from the ability to drill holes and twiddle screwdrivers and spanners.

I notice that you give no idea what the unaffordable installation costs actually are, they may be very reasonable.

Basically you seem to be asking for an amateur to do the job for you and take any risks arising from the installation and your use of it or a professional who one hopes carries indemnity insurance to do a cut price job for you so a question. What is special about you that would justify either.

It sounds like a GRP cruiser so wooden mounting battens/plates or metal mounting brackets might need glassing to the hull but we can explain how to do that but that is presumably more materials that needs to be costed into the job. being a GRP cruiser there is a good chance that the fuel tank will have an inspection cover so that may make fitting a dedicated fuel take of point easier but then you will need to pump the fuel out to below the take off level - would that be more expense for the pump and containers? Have they supplied a tank fitting and shut off cock?

Remember the old adage - pay peanuts and get monkeys. This is very true,  especially it seem in the inland waterways world. An apparently cheap job all too easily needs doing again and becomes very expensive.

I am sure we can guide you and explain how to undertake the various procedures needed to fit it if you provide the photos and information you will be asked for.

• Greenie 1

Is it me or are some people desperate to crawl up their own own arse on here. I asked a simple question which was does anyone know a good installation guy in my area . If so, thanks. The official guys are quite expensive, that's obvious. I also said I didn't want a cowboy. Who does? If you don't know know, don't bloody answer. If you do, I'd really appreciate it. End of. Sorry. Frustration.

Just now, Bronco99 said:

Is it me or are some people desperate to crawl up their own own arse on here. I asked a simple question which was does anyone know a good installation guy in my area . If so, thanks. The official guys are quite expensive, that's obvious. I also said I didn't want a cowboy. Who does? If you don't know know, don't bloody answer. If you do, I'd really appreciate it. End of. Sorry. Frustration.

Believe it or not, people are just trying to help you.

An incorrectly installed heater, or installed with an automotive fitting kit instead of the special 'boat installation kit' can lead to death - yours !

When your 'low-quote, installer mate' turns up, will he know all the pieces that you need (because every boat is different), will he recognise a 'marine exhaust' vs an 'automotive exhaust' etc etc.

Certain things which involve safety should not be skimped on, if you cannot afford to have them professionally and properly installed, then cut back on another area, so that you can.

Do you really need those Gold-plated taps, or that stainless steel cooker ?

If you ask a question - don't expect all of the answers to be "what you want to hear".

Sometimes the answer that you don't want is actually the best one.

22 minutes ago, Bronco99 said:

No you did not, you said the "I can't afford any of their official partners installation costs". Partners is a plural so that is more than one. So you admit you can't afford professional instillation and it therefore follows that you want a cut price job.

What makes you think a local installer will be any cheaper than the quotes you already have? If you can't afford professionals your options are as follows: employ someone who is cheaper and risk them being a cowboy, go without, or fit it yourself. Those are your options like it or not.

With the attitude shown by both your posts in this topic I would be very hesitant in putting you in touch with anyone likely to do a decent job because I suspect you would  expect and demand  far more than you are willing to pay for and then moan to all and sundry about what you got. That would not be fair to the person doing the job.

I suggest that you go around the canal basin at Worcester and talk to the boaters there asking for any leads they can give you.

Both Tracy and myself have have long professional experience of trying to deal  with people who say things like you have and basically expect us to work at a loss or for less than the minimum wage once our expenses have been taken into account.

I am now very unlikely to be willing to give you any assistance with a DIY instillation.

Edited by Tony Brooks

If you ask a question of many people you'll often receive many varied answers, wherever you do so. Some folk responding will give good advice, maybe some not so good, but you always retain the ability to take only the advice you choose. No point in asking a question somewhere they always tell you what you want to hear - you learn nothing that way. Point is, if you rail against the advice you do get, you might throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

Actually, I think your question may be being misinterpreted. I think you want a professional job, but those on the official list appear to be at the top end the price bracket, so you're hoping to find a good guy with lower overheads, ideally within a budget of £300 quid. If that's correct, maybe rephrasing your question might get you answers you find more acceptable? 

There's some really knowledgeable folk here who often go out of their way to help. I think you'd get better results if you win them over. :)

I have fitted a chinese diesel heater in my grp boat.

It is a time consuming but not too difficult a job.As most qualified people will charge £46 per hour + VAT (they do at my mooring) it will not be a cheap job.

As has been pointed out,to comply with BSS regs the heater must be installed to comply. (metal fuel pipes,exhaust and combustion air from outside,and a vented and drained fuel tank)

If you are going to fit it yourself,then ask on here for some pointers.

Just looked at the link to your Planar,and if it is  approved for marine use,I think on my next boat I would go with that and go with their installation cost.

It would save a lot of bother,because it took me several days of backache work to install mine.

I don't really want to do it again!

Edited by Mad Harold

This is the second nasty comment I have received this morning whilst trying to help another boater.

Sod you all, I am going to give up answering questions. My back is hurting, my brain tumour is giving me  a head ache and all I get is hate mail, I'm gone.

Tracy D'arth

Edited by Tracy D'arth

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

This is the second nasty comment I have received this morning whilst trying to help another boater.

Sod you all, I am going to give up answering questions. My back is hurting, my brain tumour is giving me  a head ache and all I get is hate mail, I'm gone.

Tracy D'arth

I am sure the majority of us on here appreciate your input on here,especially with regard to BMC engines and other mechanical issues,I certainly do.

I can sympathise with your health issues,and can fully understand you having a short fuse with some posters,but we are all not like that.

So,don't go,have a nice lunch and a beer,and keep posting.

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Phoenix_V said:

out of interest how much are they proposing to charge and is that just the plumbing/electric or alterations to the boat, perhaps you could agree to do part of the work and have some one qualified plumb and wire up

That is the nub of the question and the OP withheld that information so we have no way of gauging if it really is expensive for the job or if its likely he would get someone likely to do a decent job at a lower price. Luckily for him the only "plumbing" is the fuel supply and inlet/exhaust because its a blown air heater so simpler to install.