Best stove for a narrowboat with oven and back boiler???

James H

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, NB Alnwick said:

To answer the original question - the only practical answer is to replace like with like. It is expensive but we have used our Squirrel for fifteen years and it stays alight permanently from the beginning of October through to the end of the following April even now when we are not sleeping aboard. We bought a complete second stove (from another forum member) to use as spares but, so far, have only used the doors and grates on a rotating basis - i.e. fit the spare replacement and then repair or replace the original ready for next time.

We often cook on the top but it is useful to have a secondary means of cooking - an electric slow cooker works well when cruising or if shore power is available.

No it isn't the bubble stove does exactly what he wants it's a stove with oven and back boiler plus its front won't fall off in time as its heavy gauge steel.  They are quality stoves and been around for many years 

29 minutes ago, peterboat said:

No it isn't the bubble stove does exactly what he wants it's a stove with oven and back boiler plus its front won't fall off in time as its heavy gauge steel.  They are quality stoves and been around for many years 

I went "round the back" at Harworth Heating and was talking to a lad assembling one of their oven/stoves. They are well made, same size as an Epping but more modern appearance. I think you can choose from a few colours and finishes. 

They are however very expensive!

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, peterboat said:

They do both an "over and under" and a more conventional "side by side" that looks rather good. Sadly to fit in with the existing decor our cabin stove needs to be rather shallow and have the flue central rather than offset to one side, otherwise I would have thought seriously about the Bubble. The boat came with a Stratford range that looked great but did not make enough heat and instead put fumes and CO into the boat I wish I could find a modern steel replacement.

................Dave

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

We have the Epping lit every day when boating in the cooler months,  but let it go out overnight so it doesn't get too hot in the bed hole. 

I really don't know how people boat in the depths of winter without the comfort of a stove by your feet,  I know that I certainly wouldn't anymore. 

I was thinking about a "C" shaped boiler,  taking the place of the fire bricks. We have the same set up in our cottage on a Victorian range that works well.

With all this global warming we don't have enough really cold boating days so have not used the Epping as a cruising stove for ages. We also like a cold backcabin, with two adukts and a deerhound in bed its warm enough so the Epping makes it too hot. A 6 to 8pm engine run puts enough heat into the back for a few hours.

Epping lit now just to get some paint to dry ?

................Dave

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

I went "round the back" at Harworth Heating and was talking to a lad assembling one of their oven/stoves. They are well made, same size as an Epping but more modern appearance. I think you can choose from a few colours and finishes. 

They are however very expensive!

But long lasting so if you love your boat you get a bargain, my Rayburn royal is 50 plus years old and cost pennies a few years ago I consider it the best buy I have made in a long time for the boat

5 hours ago, Slim said:

Did you have some form of metal tail coming out of the stove itself? I must put an IR thermometer on the back of the stove when I'm allowed back. 

No dragon unless you mean the late first mate, If you do a search online, you find these are average temperatures for wood/coal stoves. It's -4 outside so the stove

is in use.   Temperature throughout the boat is 22C with a thin fire on the grate

Flue temperature at the top

1822920376_fluepipetemp.jpg.48f26fdd86f61ced38a9cc8bdf5db961.jpg

Stove Body side plate  temperature

209742893_stovesideplatetemp.jpg.1bae8b8a827deb5fe584f3150d7051b5.jpg

Regarding high temperature hoses, these may be worth considering:-

pamet-braided-fan-coil-flexible-connecto

Rated at 40bar and all steel construction. This product (at BES Ltd) have no temperature rating quoted, but I suspect it would be practicable to find on with a specified rating.  See https://www.bes.co.uk/braided-fan-coil-flexible-connector-1-x-1-bsp-tm-x-300-mm-14874/   I have been thinking of using these for coolant hoses on our boat.