A-Level Project

H01ppy

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Richard T said:

Are you aware that there are three standard types of stern for a narrowboat? Traditional used in this context means a boat with a small rear deck and the steerer stands just inside the back doors.Semi - traditional retains the shape of a trad boat but has a larger area to stand in, cruiser is an open stern deck with room for the steerer and several other people. There are many subtle variations on these types

And to add to this, the semi traditional and cruiser stern types often have seats.

@H01ppy If I had a traditional boat, I'd want the seat inside the hatch for safety reasons (not being inside the tiller arc when steering so I don't get knocked off the back) 

I have something like this https://www.google.com/search?q=bucket+seat+tractor+vintage at the back of my semi-traditional narrowboat, but if it was a traditional boat I would also need to be able to fold it down to use the doorway

9 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

I have something like this https://www.google.com/search?q=bucket+seat+tractor+vintage at the back of my semi-traditional narrowboat, but if it was a traditional boat I would also need to be able to fold it down to use the doorway

This one

Corbeau Classic Bucket Seat | Classic Bucket Seats | Corbeau Seats

16 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's been nice knowing you Brian ... 

So I went to FB and this was the first posting

image.png.dd59c9d07be7ac334c31fca37016ca83.png

12 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I always sit on the roof but on the port side to avoid trees. Standing too long is hard on my old legs.

And semi-trad's can have a construction that permits much the same (as in ours and its predecessor)

BTW, I suspect that some people here, concerned about accuracy, have over-interpreted the OP's use of traditional. I think that it was used more generally to distinguish from tupperware and the like rather be limited to narrowboats of a traditional hull shape and proportion with a specific stern arrangement.

It may well be that those in a 'senior' position on this forum may well be right that the established designs cannot be bettered but our world would be a much impoverished place were it not for those without experience who come along and ask 'Have you ever tried doing it like this?' That is how great inventions come about, more often than not. 

Wish the OP well with the project - do come back and let us know how it is going. By all means try out ideas here to iron out unnecessary co0mplications - you might even get a matter grade!

• Greenie 3

I understand that many people require clarification as to the type of canal boat i am looking at. I have mentioned a traditional canal boat, this is exactly what I mean- a traditional stern which is 'traditionally' found with a boatmans cabin. I also do know about the different types of canal boat as I have been on both a traditional and semi-trad. I chose to design some form of seating for a traditional stem as I am well aware of the lack of space and the safety implications that go along with it. I have chosen this because I already have existing knowledge on it.

1F49DE09-3B39-4752-A2EA-91E249C607C0.jpeg

CF3D116B-761B-4794-B686-6AF204CD30AB.jpeg

• Greenie 3

Just now, matty40s said:

Aye, you can see how dangerous it is, knocked clean in, just leaving one shoe.....

Matty you may be joking but a while ago a gent sitting on a tractor seat on the stern of a trad boat was knocked overboard in Harecastle tunnel.

Michael Holgate drowned after he banged his head on tunnel and fell into canal | Daily Mail Online

11 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Matty you may be joking but a while ago a gent sitting on a tractor seat on the stern of a trad boat was knocked overboard in Harecastle tunnel.

Michael Holgate drowned after he banged his head on tunnel and fell into canal | Daily Mail Online

We usually post this picture in relation to that incident ...

article-2711749-2028206000000578-548_634

Edited by TheBiscuits

19 hours ago, Heartland said:

The survey probably means more thought as to the questions. There have been observations about the stern, but what needs to be clarified is what a "traditional canal boat" means.

does an oil rig escape and survival vessel ("lifeboat") meet the requirements?

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, H01ppy said:

I understand that many people require clarification as to the type of canal boat i am looking at. I have mentioned a traditional canal boat, this is exactly what I mean- a traditional stern which is 'traditionally' found with a boatmans cabin. I also do know about the different types of canal boat as I have been on both a traditional and semi-trad. I chose to design some form of seating for a traditional stem as I am well aware of the lack of space and the safety implications that go along with it. I have chosen this because I already have existing knowledge on it.

1F49DE09-3B39-4752-A2EA-91E249C607C0.jpeg

As it is purely a theoretical piece simply to be judged on merit and marked according to a particular format, and (hopefully and examiner with an inadequate knowledge of the subject) means the fact you are designing a 'killing seat' will probably not affect your resultant grade.

Good luck.

Academic qualifications sinply prove that you can 'apply yourself' to a task, but ones that are rarely of any use in the real world.

My best friend (and best man) did his degree in Geology, which somehow gave him the qualifications to be employed by the CEGB selling and disposing of ash.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My best friend (and best man) did his degree in Geology, which somehow gave him the qualifications to be employed by the CEGB selling and disposing of ash.

My son in law took his degree in history and handles mainframe computers for a major bank.   How did his degree qualify him?   In the words of the interviewer it proves he can apply himself and learn quickly.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As it is purely a theoretical piece simply to be judged on merit and marked according to a particular format, and (hopefully and examiner with an inadequate knowledge of the subject) means the fact you are designing a 'killing seat' will probably not affect your resultant grade.

Good luck.

Academic qualifications sinply prove that you can 'apply yourself' to a task, but ones that are rarely of any use in the real world.

like learning Latin that was essential for Oxbridge entry.  Actually I consider it was a good thing - it forces you to think clearly and logically.  How the ornery folk in ancient Rome managed to communicate is a mystery.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

My son in law took his degree in history and handles mainframe computers for a major bank.   How did his degree qualify him?   In the words of the interviewer it proves he can apply himself and learn quickly.

As a counterpoint, Boris has a degree.

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

I've already stated that earlier in the thread and also in my feedback to the student.?