A-Level Project

H01ppy

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I hope you missed a word out of that sentence! ;)

Good luck with the project, and yes, please come back with the stages and the finished design.

I suspect your age is showing - you missed the intentional sarcasm! Only us oldies need to signpost it with a smiley these days . . . 

But to the OP - yes please, please, do come back to us as your project proceeds. Firstly, it is all too often the case that someone asks a question of social media such as this forum and then disappears after quite a bit of effort from those with real experience. Secondly, life would be intolerable if it did not hold out the hope that anything can be improved by human endeavour. It is very unlikely that any design, even one that has stood the test of a couple of centuries experience, cannot be improved. If you succeed then we will all benefit but more importantly - and I suspect this is the nub of your project and its eventual assessment - is to see how you go about it, what methodology you use and the data behind your conclusions.

For example, if you came out and said that the traditional design is still the best, some (non-scientists) might be tempted to remark that they knew that all along but if your data and method are at fault such a conclusion would be no more valid than saying you had found a really great improvement. Good luck! (Success in life is largely down to perspiration and, for the lucky few, a bit of chnace - inspiration rarely gets a look in!)

17 hours ago, jetzi said:

I should think it possible to design a seat that is within the tiller arc, but with the seat above it on an arm. The tiller could then swing harmlessly underneath the seat. As long as the steerer's legs don't dangle too far backwards (a foot rest could be a good addition here). Most people's arms are little longer than their torsos so unless you have to push hard to one side or the other, I can picture that working?

I tried to fill in the survey but I note it's already closed. I'm curious to see what OP comes up with and wish them well for their A levels!

How high would the seat have to be on a traditional stern boat for the tiller to pass underneath it?

I think the steerer would be so high as to have difficulty  passing under low bridges without being beheaded.?

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

How high would the seat have to be on a traditional stern boat for the tiller to pass underneath it?

I think the steerer would be so high as to have difficulty  passing under low bridges without being beheaded.?

Would you expect to be able to remain seated while going under bridges??

I stand and steer with my rear. I have to duck at the best of times. I wouldn't want the seat to be any lower than my standing height, so given that I'd sit on my rear, that seems about right to me. Maybe I'd have to raise the seat an inch or two but a bit more height would if anything be handy.

On 12/01/2021 at 21:13, jetzi said:

I should think it possible to design a seat that is within the tiller arc, but with the seat above it on an arm. The tiller could then swing harmlessly underneath the seat. As long as the steerer's legs don't dangle too far backwards (a foot rest could be a good addition here). Most people's arms are little longer than their torsos so unless you have to push hard to one side or the other, I can picture that working?

I tried to fill in the survey but I note it's already closed. I'm curious to see what OP comes up with and wish them well for their A levels!

I was thinking the opposite.. like this

spacer.png

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Haha 2