A-Level Project

H01ppy

Featured Posts

Hi All,

For my A-Level Design and Technology I am required to make some form of product from a chosen context. In which I have chosen to design and create some form of seating for traditional canal boats, for use whilst cruising. I have chosen this context as a family member owns a traditional canal boat, I am aware of the lack of space at the stern and the fact that there are not many current seating ideas, which opens up a broad range of possibilities for a prototype. My main ideas are more looking at some form of seat on the roof of the boat between the hatch and the gunnel, that can be sat on by other passengers or leant on by whoever is manning the tiller. As part of my project I have had to create a survey to gain relevant answers that can be used to design the product prototype. The survey contains 7 questions and should take no longer than 5 minutes. The link below should take you right to the survey. I would be extremely grateful if as many people as possible could complete this for me.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WD3YJS3

Thank you for your time.

Edited by H01ppy
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, H01ppy said:

I have chosen to design and create some form of seating for traditional canal boats, for use whilst cruising.

You do know there's a reason that traditional craft don't have seats on the stern, don't you?

It's not because 250 year's worth of working boatmen and women never thought about it ...

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You do know there's a reason that traditional craft don't have seats on the stern, don't you?

It's not because 250 year's worth of working boatmen and women never thought about it ...

I have made those observations clear in my response to the OP.  The questions seem to refer to trad boats only, I wonder if that is the intention?

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe it was chosen on purpose sich that the conclusion that stern seats are not either feasible or safe - its as good as any other result.

Not all inventions are successful, or maybe the OP does not realise that Traditional (Trad) is a certain specific sub-section of the Canal boat genre.

11 minutes ago, H01ppy said:

Hi All,

For my A-Level Design and Technology I am required to make some form of product from a chosen context. In which I have chosen to design and create some form of seating for traditional canal boats, for use whilst cruising. As part of my project I have had to create a survey to gain relevant answers that can be used to design the product prototype. The survey contains 7 questions and should take no longer than 5 minutes. The link below should take you right to the survey. I would be extremely grateful if as many people as possible could complete this for me.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WD3YJS3

Thank you for your time.

Are you aware that there are three standard types of stern for a narrowboat? Traditional used in this context means a boat with a small rear deck and the steerer stands just inside the back doors.Semi - traditional retains the shape of a trad boat but has a larger area to stand in, cruiser is an open stern deck with room for the steerer and several other people. There are many subtle variations on these types

13 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Are you aware that there are three standard types of stern for a narrowboat? Traditional used in this context means a boat with a small rear deck and the steerer stands just inside the back doors.Semi - traditional retains the shape of a trad boat but has a larger area to stand in, cruiser is an open stern deck with room for the steerer and several other people. There are many subtle variations on these types

Narrow Boating Stern Types (narrow-boating.com)

https://livingonanarrowboat.co.uk/which-are-the-best-narrowboat-stern-types-for-living-afloat/

I have chosen to design and create some form of seating for traditional canal boats, for use whilst cruising.

The survey probably means more thought as to the questions. There have been observations about the stern, but what needs to be clarified is what a "traditional canal boat" means.

In the West Midlands there were the narrow boats, in the East Midlands a common craft were the Trent Boats which worked both rivers and canals. In the north there were Keels and Flats, and so the list goes on. Could the compiler of this survey please be more specific.

Then there are the materials and choice of location for the seating. Traditional craft were constructed both of wood or metal. Is there a requirement for historical accuracy or does it matter if the invention of a Victorian engineer, Alexander Parkes is applied ?

Edited by Heartland

Its a good idea. Traditional boats (trad sterns) are steered whilst standing up and if there is a long lock free section some steerers do sit up sideways on the roof with their feet dangling into the hatch area. A few boaters have improvised a little cushion type seat to make this more comfortable. It needs to be small and well thought out so that it does not intrude when standing next to it, and also small and easy to stash away when not in use as storage space is always precious.

Making such a seat is on my todo list.

................Dave

57 minutes ago, dmr said:

Its a good idea. Traditional boats (trad sterns) are steered whilst standing up and if there is a long lock free section some steerers do sit up sideways on the roof with their feet dangling into the hatch area. A few boaters have improvised a little cushion type seat to make this more comfortable. It needs to be small and well thought out so that it does not intrude when standing next to it, and also small and easy to stash away when not in use as storage space is always precious.

Making such a seat is on my todo list.

................Dave

Alice Collins and Bob Grantham.

Pictures from CRT Archive.

Alice Collins (2).jpg

MB Birmingham Bob Grantham.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

Matty, this boat has both, as I'm sure you well know.  :D

WHITEFIELD---00157.jpg

Actually, on the way back from Lincoln on the wide Trent, I devised a rope driven steering system using the hatch rails for old friends from about that position. 

It was absolutely hilarious seeing people on the banks trying to work out how the boat was steering as we enjoyed a glass of prosecco on the roof.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Alice Collins and Bob Grantham.

Pictures from CRT Archive.

Alice Collins (2).jpg

MB Birmingham Bob Grantham.jpg

I suggest the OP looks at this idea and ignores the "roof bed" concept that you have also posted ?

................Dave

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

I suggest the OP looks at this idea and ignores the "roof bed" concept that you have also posted ?

................Dave

Matty’s idea to put a seat on the roof. I just provided an example. Not my concept at all.

Edited by Ray T

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I always sit on the roof but on the port side to avoid trees. Standing too long is hard on my old legs.

You can do it but its a bit tight because of the back cabin chimney ?

4 hours ago, Ray T said:

WHITEFIELD---00157.jpg

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Actually, on the way back from Lincoln on the wide Trent, I devised a rope driven steering system using the hatch rails for old friends from about that position. 

It was absolutely hilarious seeing people on the banks trying to work out how the boat was steering as we enjoyed a glass of prosecco on the roof.

A bit like this then

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1