Cropredy circa 1960

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

You will have to tell Graham who you really are for him to remember you. ?

This is true but I am really pleased to see that you are still posting. The last five years have been really challenging for us and it is really good to see familiar names . . .

16 hours ago, ANDREW P said:

Saunders ended its days sunk in Croxton flash near Middlewich. I remember seeing it advertised for sale in Waterways World years ago as Saunders, ex Clayton tar boat Beaver.

Excellent info, Andrew. From what you say, it sounds as if it survived for quite a few years after that photo was taken, what a pity that it finally succumbed.

On 09/01/2021 at 12:08, NB Alnwick said:

The inlet did indeed go right up to what is now known as 'The Old Manor House' although on old ordnance survey maps the property is described as 'Manor Farm' as shown on this extract from a OS 1:2500 map of 1892. This inlet may have connected with what is believed to have been a medieval moat - part of which still exists. Also of interest is the extensive wharf complex which was on both sides of the road - both north and south of the bridge - with two weighbridges. What is now the winding hole appears to have been part of this wharf complex.

Map.jpg.aae91859c883c8f984fb0504e7fccd6c.jpg

I knew the previous owner - She confirmed to me that there were still signs of the moat but were more just fairly shallow ditches in places.

13 hours ago, CV32 said:

I knew the previous owner - She confirmed to me that there were still signs of the moat but were more just fairly shallow ditches in places.

It's the result of cut-backs in military funding. You just can't trust governments.