Taking A Boat From London To The Black Sea

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

For those that missed it the link below is a recording of a talk hosted by the London Canal Museum last night from a couple who took a converted lifeboat from London to the Black Sea. It is well worth a watch

Tim

• Greenie 3

Just because it 'can be done' is not a recommendation that it should be done :

Springer boats aren’t just confined to the English waterways – in 1990, the boatyard built the Typhoo Atlantic Challenger, a 37-foot craft shaped like a bottle that crossed the Atlantic from New York to Falmouth. Not bad for a company whose first boats were made from a scrapped gasometer.

typhoo.jpg

File:Sauce Bottle - geograph.org.uk - 13422.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

46 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

...took a converted lifeboat from London to the Black Sea. It is well worth a watch

Following on from a recent thread, it would be even more appreciated if they took ALL the converted lifeboats from London to the Black Sea...  :icecream:

• Haha 2

Thanks for posting that, Its an ambition of ours (Well mine really) to do that . We have done it all (except the channel crossing) right up to Strasbourg where we turned left back into France. Definitely agree about hating speedboats and bloody water skiers. Its a bit different from ambling up the Oxford

• Greenie 2

28 years ago Nick Saunders took a pair of narrow boats from the Black Country to the Black Sea. One did get sunk on the way but I believe they are both back here now.

In the days before Vlogs but i think there was some film of it, certainly are  a couple of trailers on YouTube.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

25 years ago Nick Saunders took a pair of narrow boats from the Black Country to the Black Sea. One did get sunk on the way but I believe they are both back here now.

In the days before Vlogs but i think there was some film of it, certainly are  a couple of trailers on YouTube.

He still has the motor, its been lengthened, Last time I saw the butty Tina Paramore was living on it at Stone.

4 hours ago, Loddon said:

28 years ago Nick Saunders took a pair of narrow boats from the Black Country to the Black Sea. One did get sunk on the way but I believe they are both back here now.

Yes I watched the film about 20 years ago.

Absolutely brilliant talk. What a really fantastic adventure. And I liked that it was done in a boat that wasn't bombproof: there were things that went wrong, engine arguably not big enough for the big rivers, all a bit amateur. 

I've always wanted to do the route from Rotterdam to Kiev including the Pripyat River but I believe theres a blockage at Brest that prevents it now. T~hen on up the Desna river to Smolensk where there's a dam because of the nuclear power station. Just a dream.

On 08/01/2021 at 15:32, Loddon said:

I'm sure I read a book about it years ago. Am I fooling myself?

"The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow" by Andy McKinnon had already been mentioned and is probably my all time favourite travel book. Another good read covering a voyage to the Black Sea is Tristan Jones "Improbable voyage" - though when reading it one should remember the author was well known as a raconteur who reinvented his own life so it's probably not 100% factual.