Boaters fined £30,000 for breaching Covid rules.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Are they not commercial passenger boats rather than pleasure boats?

They dont even have a BSS either, bloomin disgusting. Just for information the Notts Princess is 172 capacity.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

You tell that to the Nottingham Princess or any of the Thames pleasure boats, they will laugh their socks off at you.

To carry more than 12 passengers the boat has to be registered as a commercial trip boat and the captain needs to  possess the appropriate current Boatmaster's Licence.  As far as I am aware, the Nottingham Princess is registered to carry more than 12 passengers as are all the Salters Cruisers on the Thames. I still have my (now expired) Grade Three Boatmaster's Licence, which covered me to operate on all UK canals and narrow rivers.

Edited by David Schweizer

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

To carry more than 12 passengers the boat has to be registered as a commercial trip boat and the captain needs to  possess the appropriate current Boatmaster's lLicence.  As far as I am aware, the Nottingham Princess is registered to carry more than 12 passengers as are all the Salters Cruisers on the Thames. I still have my (now expired) Grade Three Boatmaster's Licence, which covers all UK canals and narrow rivers.

Do you need a skippers licence if you don't untie the boat?

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do you need a skippers licence if you don't untie the boat?

Not as far as I am aware, but you are not normally allowed to serve alcohol until the boat has untied, and is cruising.

Oh, and please do not use the term Skipper, that is frowned upon by commercial Boat Captains.

Edited by David Schweizer

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

12 passengers is the maximum permitted on any pleasure boat in the UK, although insurance conditions may permit a smaller number of passengers

that suggests that 12 passengers are compulsory unless the insurance allows you to have less :wacko:

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

that suggests that 12 passengers are compulsory unless the insurance allows you to have less :wacko:

Yes, that is badly written It should say " 12 passengers is the maximum permitted on any pleasure boat in the UK, unless insurance conditions resricts that to a smaller number of passengers

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

To carry more than 12 passengers the boat has to be registered as a commercial trip boat and the captain needs to  possess the appropriate current Boatmaster's Licence.  As far as I am aware, the Nottingham Princess is registered to carry more than 12 passengers as are all the Salters Cruisers on the Thames. I still have my (now expired) Grade Three Boatmaster's Licence, which covered me to operate on all UK canals and narrow rivers.

Your grade 3 boatmasters wouldnt cover you on the Princess these days, not even nearly. Things have been tightened up a hell of a lot. You would need type testing and prove competence with twin screws and manouvreing it in confined spaces and a lot of boat knowledge. The days of the old boatmaster are long gone, I still have my expired one and also my recent licence for the Princess. The Trent through Nottingham even requires a Tier1 license holder to take a test for the Princess because of Trent bridge. 

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Your grade 3 boatmasters wouldnt cover you on the Princess these days, not even nearly. Things have been tightened up a hell of a lot. You would need type testing and prove competence with twin screws and manouvreing it in confined spaces and a lot of boat knowledge. The days of the old boatmaster are long gone, I still have my expired one and also my recent licence for the Princess. The Trent through Nottingham even requires a Tier1 license holder to take a test for the Princess because of Trent bridge. 

and I thought that Nottingham was in Tier 4? . . . 

At my youngest daughters wedding reception I was banned from telling jokes as I am renowned within the family as being good at bad jokes and bad at good jokes.

I did however get a joke in at the end of my speech. 

"It has been a very emotional day, even the cake is in tiers."

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Tiers for souvenirs?

In twenty years time, today's younger (ish) generation will be able to say to the youngsters complaining about their lot: "You think you have it bad - you should have been around in 2021, that really was bad"

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

In twenty years time, today's younger (ish) generation will be able to say to the youngsters complaining about their lot: "You think you have it bad - you should have been around in 2021, that really was bad"

Surely "2020".

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I think generaly we as a species bemoan our lot more as the years go by when in reality things get easier. Yes its shit at present but pales into insignificance when you consider such facts as British killed in one day july first 1916 first day of battle of the somme was nearly twenty thousand. look at other shit thats gone on even stuff recent like the Tsunami in 2004 that killed 230 thousand in one hit. The list is endless, pick your favourite. 

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Athy said:

Surely "2020".

Actually I intended 2021 (and changed it from 2020 that I wrote initially) after thinking a bit.

The problems with the current lockdown seem to me to point to a number of relevant factors:

1. Lockdown fatigue. In the first lockdown there was a sense of community and that we were all being peer-challenged to find innovative ways of keeping to 'the rules', which we did within the spirit of lockdown as much as possible.  But many folk are now weary of the effort - something seen previously in wartime conditions.

2. We now know that it is much harder than we thought to keep to the rules if interpreted religiously and so there is a temptation to view the rules more as a matter of oppression than safety.

3. So far the public purse payments to business and individuals, together with legal banning of evictions and other debt payments, have pushed the consequences of lockdown into the future. But those chickens will come home to roost and a Chancellor focussed primarily on restoring health to the public coffers, will act in a draconian way sooner rather than later - a bit like people who max out their credit cards before Christmas in order to meet a supposed need for endless buying sprees but then have the reality of the New Year when their statements start to arrive.

4. There is a non-trivial risk that the virus will mutate further in a way that ducks under the radar of current vaccines and a lower risk that such a mutation will be beyond the vaccine techniques we currently have to hand. Remember that the vaccines now being used are the product of years - decades - of development of the underlying technology.

5. Vaccine availability is proving much harder to achieve than just placing orders - there is a lesson there for all simplistic governments, whether of states or organisations!

6. The length of immunity is unknown and we may well be faced with a continuing high level of vaccination activity to keep COVID at bay - will we accept the inconvenience and public cost especially when it gets in the way of treating all the other things that can go wrong with our health?

7. An exit strategy is much harder than just watching the data, as Matt Hancock suggested this morning to Andrew Marr. To use an analogy - taking the brake off a car when on a steep slope is one of the harder tasks to learn as a novice driver. All too easily you can release too quickly and the ensuing momentum is beyond braking capacity. The first signs of relaxing the lockdown rules are likely to be very much over-interpreted as a licence to go back to where we were with the result of a major increase in infection rates.

So: I fear that 2021 will feel much more painful as we go through it even if we still live in the hope that there is real light ahead. At some point normality will return even if it is a new normal.

• Greenie 2

On 09/01/2021 at 17:56, mrsmelly said:

I think generaly we as a species bemoan our lot more as the years go by when in reality things get easier. Yes its shit at present but pales into insignificance when you consider such facts as British killed in one day july first 1916 first day of battle of the somme was nearly twenty thousand. look at other shit thats gone on even stuff recent like the Tsunami in 2004 that killed 230 thousand in one hit. The list is endless, pick your favourite. 

When I was growing up we were sort of lower middle class, no central heating, or electric blankets, it was absolutely freezing in my bedroom, very unhealthy, but it was the norm. Some important stuff like sweeties were still on ration! One Mars bar per week. 

Kids would be taken in to care nowadays if they were raised in those conditions. 

Edited by LadyG