Boaters fined £30,000 for breaching Covid rules.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

When I was growing up we were sort of lower middle class, no central heating, or electric blankets, it was absolutely freezing in my bedroom, very unhealthy, but it was the norm. Some important stuff like sweeties were still on ration! 

Same here. We used to scrape ice with our fingernails on a morning off our bedroom windows inside. We didnt have a bathroom or indeed mains drainage. Toilet in the garden that bin men emptied weekly and we shook pink powder on after each deposit. Only rugs and deffo no central heating lol. Every body walked to the village school that if you try to walk past on schooldays mornings these days you cant for badly parked Range Rovers and yummy mummies dropping kiddywinks off to school. There was one slightly chubby lad and the rest of us were like racing snakes.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Same here. We used to scrape ice with our fingernails on a morning off our bedroom windows inside. We didnt have a bathroom or indeed mains drainage. Toilet in the garden that bin men emptied weekly and we shook pink powder on after each deposit. Only rugs and deffo no central heating lol. Every body walked to the village school that if you try to walk past on schooldays mornings these days you cant for badly parked Range Rovers and yummy mummies dropping kiddywinks off to school. There was one slightly chubby lad and the rest of us were like racing snakes.

i can relate to all that except the toilet situation, things had progressed a bit in the 70’s :D 

only chubby kid at our school was the son of the village newsagent and had the run of the sweet counter.

try explaining blankets with sleeves to todays youth, or getting the shout from your mum so you could dive out of bed and run downstairs to get dressed in front of the fire :) happy days

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

i can relate to all that except the toilet situation, things had progressed a bit in the 70’s :D 

only chubby kid at our school was the son of the village newsagent and had the run of the sweet counter.

try explaining blankets with sleeves to todays youth, or getting the shout from your mum so you could dive out of bed and run downstairs to get dressed in front of the fire :) happy days

Ditto :clapping:

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

We used to say ''Shut the door, your letting the cold out''.      School dinners 5/- per week. Co oP divi no 365748.

Ahh but your proper, proper old Biz. I didnt start school till 59 so Im still young :D

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

School lunch 2/6

Ours was 174446

Late 50s / early 60's

Comparing Co-Op numbers it must have been a few years prior to yours.

Ours would have been early 50's. School dinners 1/- a day.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Ours would have been early 50's. School dinners 1/- a day.

Strange Co-Op numbering system then (unless my parents inherited from my Grandparents ?)

Maybe school dinners were cheaper 'up-North'. I'm fairly sure they were 6d a day, which was the same as my pocket money per week.

30 minutes ago, LadyG said:

When I was growing up we were sort of lower middle class, no central heating, or electric blankets, it was absolutely freezing in my bedroom, very unhealthy, but it was the norm. Some important stuff like sweeties were still on ration! One Mars bar per week. 

Kids would be taken in to care nowadays if they were raised in those conditions. 

Me too. Me raising my kids, too. And, oddly enough, there are plenty of crappy bits of towns where it is still exactly the same, except with an indoor toilet, though it might well be shared.  There's a lot of substandard, small, cold and damp rentals - my daughter lived in one with two kids which cost a thousand quid in fees for her to get a key. Don't make the mistake of thinking poverty has gone away just because we've gone away from it.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Strange Co-Op numbering system then (unless my parents inherited from my Grandparents ?)

Maybe school dinners were cheaper 'up-North'. I'm fairly sure they were 6d a day, which was the same as my pocket money per week.

And of course free 3rd pint bottles of milk. I was milk monitor. In the summer I put spare bottles on the toilet roof to turn into cheese. My mum would then hang up a nylon stocking with it in it, minus the bottle to let it drip into cream cheese.  We also brewed ginger beer from a plant in a goldfish bowl in the cellar. Still love ginger, I get through about 3 bottles of ginger wine a week plus the whiskey making Whiskey Macs.

• Greenie 1

I remember getting 10p a week to spend in the tuck shop after Sunday lunch at my boarding school (which would buy a decent bag of sweets). And getting struck with a ruler for punishment. Again that would probably result in the police being summoned nowadays!

1 minute ago, MrsM said:

I remember getting 10p a week to spend in the tuck shop after Sunday lunch at my boarding school (which would buy a decent bag of sweets). And getting struck with a ruler for punishment. Again that would probably result in the police being summoned nowadays!

10p!! we didnt have any of that funny money when I was a kid.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

And of course free 3rd pint bottles of milk. I was milk monitor. In the summer I put spare bottles on the toilet roof to turn into cheese. My mum would then hang up a nylon stocking with it in it, minus the bottle to let it drip into cream cheese.  We also brewed ginger beer from a plant in a goldfish bowl in the cellar. Still love ginger, I get through about 3 bottles of ginger wine a week plus the whiskey making Whiskey Macs.

And in the winter the milk froze and pushed to tops off, and when not frozen the Tits made holes in the foil.

The school used to save the foils to 'buy a blind dog' (never understood why someone would buy a blind-dog in preference to one that could see).

Tuck shop has Smiths crisps with a blue-paper twist of salt in the botttom.

• Haha 1

We had every punishment going at school. Cane, split blackboard rulers, dowel rod, heel end of one of those shoes called ''Bumpers''.  Our PT master a big Canadian brute called Rew once held me upside down by my ankles and ssshhhoookk and ssshhoook mmme llike aaannnyything until my fags and matched fell out of my pocket, he confiscated them of course but I did notice a week later more than usual yellow nocotine on the blighters fingers.

8 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

3d to spend on the penny tray at the local newsagent.Those were the days...?

4 black Jacks or fruit salad chews for 1 penny, farthing each.

46 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh but your proper, proper old Biz. I didnt start school till 59 so Im still young :D

I started secondary school in 1959.

33 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My school dinners (up north) were 5/- a week.

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I started secondary school in 1959.

My school dinners (up north) were 5/- a week.

I guess that I must be remembering wrong then (or I was subsidised ?)

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Anyone remember the special ''Pig bins'' that the council supplied to put slops and left overs in to feed pigs, they were emptied once a week.

Our neighbour used to collect those bins from the Schools, Hospitals etc etc for their pigs.

They had many 100's of pigs and had a contract with Walls (the 'sausage' people, not the Ice cream)

Swill-boiling day was a day everyone for 'miles' around kept their windows closed as the black greasy smoke would sit in the valley.

They did have quite a high pig mortality rate as the people putting the left overs in the swill bins were not overly careful, and there was everything from knives and forks to syringes and assorted 'medical stuff'.

School dinners 1/3d in 1960, state grammar school in West Ham, East London. I was dinner money monitor for my class that year and had to collect it every morning and take the money and a list of who paid to the office. Possibly subsidised by the council, who, being a County Borough (of Essex, not London) were responsible for education in the borough. The food was cooked on the premises in a brand new kitchen and was both plentiful and excellent. They did have pig bins then. 10 years ago,  I mentioned this to someone at work who kept their own pig and she said it was now illegal to feed food waste to pigs that, as hers was, were to end up as food for human consumption. She was obliged to feed hers on pig nuts. 

I remember in the mid-1950's finding that my pocket money box only contained a ha'penny and a farthing, and buying two fruit salads and one blackjack with the proceeds. We used to call them farthing chews.  I think it was the only time I spent a farthing.

Edited by Ronaldo47
Clarification, typos

31 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Anyone remember the special ''Pig bins'' that the council supplied to put slops and left overs in to feed pigs, they were emptied once a week.

At the stables where I spent all my spare time we had a sow and pigs which we fed swill, boiling it up in a bathtub heated by steam from a boiler, we had to collect the bins, on a tractor and trailer, all very basic.

It was great fun taking the sow and piggies down to a muddy ditch, where they rolled around, then lay out on the grass. Sunny days, pigs were not keen to get back to their home pen. 

Edited by LadyG