What makes a narrowboat cheaper than another narrowboat?

08hjhi

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm new to narrow boats and currently looking for my first purchase to live on! I have a budget of £35K, and with that amount I do expect to buy something that I'm prepared to do some work on to either update things, or just modernise the interior. 

I've seen a boat advertised online (link below) that size wise and fit out wise really meet my specifications, and from the look of the interior there'd be no work that I would have to do. My question to you all is, why is it so cheap for what you seem to get? I'm still learning what factors make a difference to the price, but for this boat the only disadvantages seem to be a boat builder (Conmac) that I can't find anything on, its an owner fit out, and the paintwork seems very scruffy. No info on hull condition (no recent survey), and the blacking hasn't been done since 2017.

https://www.greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/shop/hydra-3/

If you wouldn't mind taking a look for me and offering some advice for a newbie, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Inside has been tarted up recently. Outside is scruffy. Blacking was done in 2017 so due to be done again. BSC expires this year (and the current BSC probably doesn't reflect the current fitout, so may not be valid).

If you are seriously interested I would suggest you offer subject to survey and insist on a new BSC as part of the deal.

It looks very smart inside ("tarted up" is perhaps a little unkind). The layout with bunks and a walk-through bathroom may put some prospective buyers off and thus lower the asking price a little, and the exterior would benefit from refreshing. But the main factor is surely that it's over 30 years old.

Looks like a fairly typical price for a thirty year old 50 footer. Interior refit is newer than most and certainly a bonus if it's to your taste and exterior is tattier than most (repainting is very expensive if you're not prepared to do it yourself). Hull will need a survey and could turn up problems with those 5mm sides. Gas central heating isn't necessarily ideal for living aboard either but I'm not sure it affects the price.

The other thing to be aware of with that broker is that the boat might not still be for sale. On the other hand, since their boats aren't on site so they have to travel to appointments too, they might disclose other things you wouldn't like about it (I was told under no uncertain terms one boat probably wasn't for me if I was over 6ft) if you ring them up.

15 hours ago, David Mack said:

Inside has been tarted up recently. Outside is scruffy. Blacking was done in 2017 so due to be done again. BSC expires this year (and the current BSC probably doesn't reflect the current fitout, so may not be valid).

If you are seriously interested I would suggest you offer subject to survey and insist on a new BSC as part of the deal.

Agree with this.

Please don't be seduced by the interior,the hull condition is the most important followed by the engine/gearbox.

The hull has had 30 years to corrode and a survey by a qualified surveyor is essential.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Agree with this.

Please don't be seduced by the interior,the hull condition is the most important followed by the engine/gearbox.

The hull has had 30 years to corrode and a survey by a qualified surveyor is essential.

I agree that these are important but I would place build quality as equally important. I still remember watching a new boat being lowered into the water at Braunston having been collected from one of the less reputable builders - it went straight down to the bottom and was then too heavy for the crane to lift it out again until sufficient pumps had been deployed . . .

Apparently (or so I was told afterwards) one of the seams in the bottom plates had not been "welded to the minimum required standard" - perhaps that was an exaggeration - it had only been tacked at wide intervals!

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

It's a bit like assessing the value of great works of art. The main criterion is size, followed by the thickness of paint. 

Never buy a narrowboat that does not have an authentic signature by the creative artiste that produced it, and an authenticated provenance.  If you think you have an unrecognised high-quality antique narrowboat, take it to a BBC Antiques Roadshow.

7 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Looks like a fairly typical price for a thirty year old 50 footer. Interior refit is newer than most and certainly a bonus if it's to your taste and exterior is tattier than most (repainting is very expensive if you're not prepared to do it yourself). Hull will need a survey and could turn up problems with those 5mm sides. Gas central heating isn't necessarily ideal for living aboard either but I'm not sure it affects the price.

The other thing to be aware of with that broker is that the boat might not still be for sale. On the other hand, since their boats aren't on site so they have to travel to appointments too, they might disclose other things you wouldn't like about it (I was told under no uncertain terms one boat probably wasn't for me if I was over 6ft) if you ring them up.

I hate people who do that. I know of reputed estate agents(on land) not marking property as sold STC for months.