aerial

dreadnought

Featured Posts

need a bit more info, what's the equipment you're trying to create better signal on? so we know what will connect or not.

generally something like a Poynting 4g-xpol-a0001 on a long pole will do the trick, but make sure you know the correct connections for your device

11 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

need a bit more info, what's the equipment you're trying to create better signal on? so we know what will connect or not.

generally something like a Poynting 4g-xpol-a0001 on a long pole will do the trick, but make sure you know the correct connections for your device

hi hudds lad,what i`m trying to do is get a signal to my ee dongle in the boat,i can take the sim card out the dongle and upgrade if needs be,cheers

yes, but what is the exact model of dongle? does it even have connectors for an external aerial? some of them don't. if it has them then most are SMA, but could be TS9 or CRC9 or there are other more obscure ones.

also where is your dongle currently mounted? Just blu-tacking it to a window can give gains as a temporary fix.

If it's a booster for the phone signal you're looking for, there are none approved for use in boats, due to possible interference problems. The thinking is that a mobile one in a car will only be in one place for a second or so, while if a fixed booster causes a problem, it is fairly easily traceable. 

We usually just stick our EE dongle in the window, which works fine most of the time. Others use a router that has a connection for an external antenna, which would be a lot better in marginal signal areas.

5 hours ago, dreadnought said:

hi all,can anyone recommend an aerial that will pick up a better signal to work my dongle,so we can pick up programs through a fire stick,or is there a better set up ? many thanks in advance 

Hello

If you have a mifi or a dongle with an aerial connection on the side, try these folk at www.co-star.co.uk and 01423 340066.

I have a Three mifi with an aerial connection which sits in a small porthole and a small 3inch tall magnetic aerial on the cabin top from them.

I cruise extensively and the Town Pound in Audlem is the only spot where I can recall that I struggle!

Caldon Canal, the Macc and Peak Forest, L&L, Rochdale, Calder & Hebble, Ripon, A&C and the SYWWs all in hilly countryside give me no problems.

Good luck,

James

hi we have the ee dongle .and use the moonraker dtv 1000 aerial .we run netflix amazon firestick and others and that works fine .im sure there are better out there but this the best we have ever had ,and over the years we have  had a few .regards haza

That 'Maxview' looks like a decent bit of kit - when we have refurbished Alnwick we will need a replacement for our ageing Kerstan satellite dish. Recently, we have been using a landline internet connection to watch TV via an Amazon Firestick and it has been brilliant. With better mobile data on the way this is probably a better option that a satellite dish.

Just now, NB Alnwick said:

That 'Maxview' looks like a decent bit of kit - when we have refurbished Alnwick we will need a replacement for our ageing Kerstan satellite dish. Recently, we have been using a landline internet connection to watch TV via an Amazon Firestick and it has been brilliant. With better mobile data on the way this is probably a better option that a satellite dish.

I may be wrong or out of date but I do remember the internet signal being poor in Cropredy?

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I may be wrong or out of date but I do remember the internet signal being poor in Cropredy?

We have landline Internet at our mooring - but you are quite right - one needs to be at least an hour further up or down the cut before the mobile signal is usable. The best mobile data signal is just above Claydon top lock . . .

5 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

We have landline Internet at our mooring - but you are quite right - one needs to be at least an hour further up or down the cut before the mobile signal is usable. The best mobile data signal is just above Claydon top lock . . .

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought you were still on the towpath mooring up from the wharf.

I tried for a land line but Openreach said that they did not have enough cable to keep up with me !

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought you were still on the towpath mooring up from the wharf.

I tried for a land line but Openreach said that they did not have enough cable to keep up with me !

We qualify 'cause we are stuck in the mud . .

36 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

We qualify 'cause we are stuck in the mud . .

Stuck in the Mud !!!!   We have crocodiles and water buffalo  and hippos have been spotted in the deeper mud baths.   The grass is drowning.  Its still raining.

Fountains came last week and churned up what was left of the towpath pretending to be grass cutting.

Has the Cherwell gone down yet?  Banbury drying out?

1 hour ago, NB Alnwick said:

Please give me a call would be pleased to give you any advice and a quote 

Martyn Travelsat 

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Has the Cherwell gone down yet?  Banbury drying out?

I am on the boat at the moment and the water level has dropped. I have had a look outside but I cannot see what the river is doing . . .

As an aside, we had difficulty insuring our house - mostly because a lot of companies won't insure thatch - but several declined because of the flood risk.

It didn't help when I explained that our house is a couple of metres higher than the canal which forms a barrier between us and the river. And, with four locks down to Banbury (a drop of about seven metres), if our house flooded - Banbury would become a submarine community . . .

1 minute ago, NB Alnwick said:

I am on the boat at the moment and the water level has dropped. I have had a look outside but I cannot see what the river is doing . . .

As an aside, we had difficulty insuring our house - mostly because a lot of companies won't insure thatch - but several declined because of the flood risk.

It didn't help when I explained that our house is a couple of metres higher than the canal which forms a barrier between us and the river. And, with four locks down to Banbury (a drop of about seven metres), if our house flover oded - Banbury would become a submarine community . . .

I had the same silly comments when I insured a property in Romiley Cheshire. The Ashton canal  was 40 feet below with a 17 feet high railway embankment between, the river 24 feet below the canal. Built in 1895, never been flooded, dry cellars. Eventually they saw sense when I showed that even the 100 year flood event had never even got close.

On 08/01/2021 at 18:50, Tracy D'arth said:

I had the same silly comments when I insured a property in Romiley Cheshire. The Ashton canal  was 40 feet below with a 17 feet high railway embankment between, the river 24 feet below the canal. Built in 1895, never been flooded, dry cellars. Eventually they saw sense when I showed that even the 100 year flood event had never even got close.

Yup,

I have had insurers concerned because the house is within 1/4 mile (measured horizontally) of a river. Yet we are about 100 feet higher.