WillD

Featured Posts

Hihi, 

I recently tiled my fireplace in the back end of the boat because I thought there needed to be a certain amount of insulation/air gap, etc. 

Now the fire doesn't fit. Am I able to just have the tiles without the backerboard? When we took the previous tiles off, they were against the wood which wasn't burned. 

I tried to look on the BSS website to see what their advice was but I couldn't find anything about what should surround the stove. 

Any help/advice is appreciated; don't want to burn down in the night!

IMG_20201223_150927.jpg

I think you need a heat resistant board but you don't necessarily need tiles. There are other thinner decorative coverings you can use. This is copper effect anodised aluminium which seems to have the added benefit of reflecting heat out instead of absorbing the heat like tiles.

I don't have any airgap between the heat resistant board and the wooden bulkhead, however I do have a 6" gap between the back of the stove and the bulkhead.

By the way, your heat resistant board looks quite thick. The Masterboard I used was only about 10mm thick.

IMG_20170918_202214.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Looks like it might be a nice stove but it's far too tight in that hearth. 

I used to have a top loading stove that looked a bit like that on a previous boat. It used to smoke the boat out everytime I used it. 

Sorry to say this, but you might be better off selling that one and buying a stove that fits.

A stove needs several inches clearance at the back and sides. Proper back cabin stoves like the Epping are designed not to radiate too much from the back and sides but still need a bigger air gap than you have. Either start again from scratch with more space or get a much smaller stove. The Salamander pipsqueak was interesting, no longer made, but you might just find a second hand one if you are lucky.

...............Dave

It is very tricky fitting a stove to replicate a traditional back cabin installation and still meet modern ideas and recommendations around the boat not catching fire. Some compromise has to happen somewhere. Working boats didn't have any sort of reputation for bursting in to flames and considering some of the cargo they carried, coal, tar, munitions, if they did we would probably know about it!

Jen

10 hours ago, RAP said:

Hey WillD,

If that’s an Epping stove then let me know if you’re selling. I’m looking for an Epping stove, or similar, for my back cabin.

Thanks,

RAP

No thats not an Epping but should be easy to identify by the round window in the smoke box and the two round rings. On the Epping the inserts are square with a round ring set in one of them.

We have not lit our Epping for years as it makes the back cabin too hot, but I lit it yesterday. I had forgotten what a super stove they are, stays in the ages on just a few lumps of coal and radiates very little heat to the sides, back and bottom but plenty from the top.

...............Dave

11 hours ago, RAP said:

Hey WillD,

If that’s an Epping stove then let me know if you’re selling. I’m looking for an Epping stove, or similar, for my back cabin.

Thanks,

RAP

I don't think it's Epping. I can send you some more pictures and dimensions directly if you're interested? 

Very sad that a few years ago there would have been loads of people here instantly identifying that stove, but time moves on.

I can find a few pictures on the www that say its a "Classic",  there are also mentions of an Epping Classic, but of course the term "classic stove" is also used in the same sense as "classic car".

Norton Canes at Glascote Basin are probably the experts in these matters nowadays.

I suspect the new stove "regulations" and rise of the widebeams are reducing the market for back cabin stoves.

Lit the Epping again today to get some paint to dry, had to open the back doors to get the temperature under control.

...................Dave