Two pack hull hull in cheshire

Karl

Featured Posts

Hi all once again. Since joining this forum I have found the information invaluable and thank everyone who have advised me so far.

i am now in a position who I blacked the hull after having it pressure washes 10 months ago and found it coming off around the stern. Probably because I’ve spilt diesel a couple of times when filling up. I’ve tried to tie the boat to a tree on the cut and use a Spanish winch effect  but without success as I can’t quite get it over enough. So I’m now thinking of two pack. The local marina want £3500 which is too expensive for me on a 62 ft boat. It was previously two packed before I blacked it so why does it need to go back to bare metal ? Surely just remove the blacking I’ve put on ? Anyway, can anyone advise on the cheapest marina in Cheshire are that could do a good two pack at a reasonable price, or help advise how I can tip this boat over about three inches. Many thanks.

Explain a bit more please? you are saying it was previously two packed and you put standard blacking over the top to repair damage?

Diesel will not take two pack off, only impacts or errors/compromises during application.  What was the rest of the boat like....good two pack with a few scrapes or a lot of bare rusty metal?

If the two pack is mostly sound then you can put another coat or two on top, but removing the one pack blacking completely will be a real pain. I think there is a two pack that will go on top of sound "one pack", its a compromise but might do you for a few years. I like Canal Cruising at Stone, a reasonable sensible job for a fair price, lovely old dry dock and some fine pubs for the evenings. Its Staffordshire but that's only just "down the road"

.............Dave

You made the job expensive by Blacking over 2 pack, the marina is quoting you a price to do the job properly, back to metal and then 2 packing.

A marina that only charges you your version of a reasonable price to 2 pack either over your blacking or scrape a few bits off and 2 pack it,  is doing a substandard job which will not give you the longevity that 2 pack should.

You cant peel blacking off 2 pack, or blast every sliver off with a pressure washer, for a start, how do you tell which is which and how far to go.

Either just carry on blacking it and be more careful with your diesel, or bite the bullet and get it done properly........and still be careful with your diesel.....its not just your blacking its messing up.

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

You made the job expensive by Blacking over 2 pack, the marina is quoting you a price to do the job properly, back to metal and then 2 packing.

Yes exactly. Blacking over your two pack epoxy was the mistake. We often advise people against doing that on this forum. Had you not put bitumen on you could have simply keyed the epoxy and repainted with more epoxy. 

Now you're in the position where trying to get all the bitumen off while leaving the epoxy beneath it intact would be more time consuming than just taking it back to bare steel and starting again.

Edited by blackrose

I think that if this was mine and if I had a tight budget I would not bother with two pack - it might not stick and you might end up with a mess. There are 'Surface tolerant' epoxies but that might not be a success either. I would investigate Ballistic Black and do some more research into coatings that would adhere to what you have already got. Did that £3,500 include everything? hauling out, chocking up, pressure washing, painting the whole thing including the bottom with at least two coats preferably more and and re launching? That doesn't seem too bad in this day and age but I always do the horrible job myself so I don't really know.

13 hours ago, Karl said:

I am now in a position who I blacked the hull after having it pressure washes 10 months ago and found it coming off around the stern. Probably because I’ve spilt diesel a couple of times when filling up.

Now you've bitumen blacked over your 2 pack, you may be better sticking with it. After all, your still in a better position than most other boats where under the bitumen is steel - you have 2 pack protected steel. This being the case, as long as you stop spilling diesel (which is a bad thing to do anyway), you really don't have too much imperative to spend thousands.

For a full strip and 2 pack including the base plate £3500 is cheap, I would doubt the quality of the job. Aqueduct  Marina price for that is over £5000

Just black it, you will not get the stuff you put on off the 2 pack.

To tip it over, barrels of water hung on the other side is the old way.

I have done this by ropes under the boat tied on the other side and a tirfor winch on the bank tied to a big tree.

I spilt diesel once when filling and on another occasion when filling up at a marina the attendant overfilled and it gushed out all over the place. Of course it hangs around the back of the boat. As the boat is on a marina most of the time you get all the stuff in the water from all the other boats. The two pack was about 7 years old anyway from what we understand so I used International intertuf and gave it several good coats after it was pressure washed. My only concern Is the rear of the boat around the water line and where the base plate joins the hull. If I could sort that out the rest of the boat appears fine.

Wait until Spring, find a quiet canal with a descending lock, get boat to back of lock, cill boat carefully a couple of inches with just draining paddles, black round the back, hope nobody comes and keep monitoring the paddles and levels for a couple of hours whilst it dries.

This is not a company certified recommendation.?

Sounds a bit dangerous to me that ! Will try and pull over to one side. Tried it with centre rope around a tree then wound the rope but couldn’t quite get enough out of water. Got it over about to inches but needed another couple. Thought the rope was going to snap so gave up.

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

Wait until Spring, find a quiet canal with a descending lock, get boat to back of lock, cill boat carefully a couple of inches with just draining paddles, black round the back, hope nobody comes and keep monitoring the paddles and levels for a couple of hours whilst it dries.

I've known folk use the top lock of the staircase pair on the Brades Branch for just this purpose. Safer to drop the boat on the bottom of the lock than have one end hanging off the cill, and unlikely that anyone else will want to pass through.

7 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Why are you spilling your diesel?  It should be a very rare occurance.

He needs a jiggle pump and large containers, which can be found at car washes, if they are open. Do not spill diesel, please!