Lockdown again!

Oddjob

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, robtheplod said:

when i was a lad we used to tie cotton from one door knocker to the one across the road from it and when car went past pulled both knockers... ah those were the days.....!

We used to do a block of tenement flats. Quite tricky getting the line right between floors; very easy to get it wrong and cause the string to break.  

19 hours ago, john6767 said:

Just checking you know that CRT allow you to move to a less busy location, you do not have to stay there if you don’t want to.

Thanks, yes, I am at a very quiet mooring, carefully selected, there are very few options here, but anyway, I've now got mechanical failure, I had to reverse here.

Good access to the service station,  I may be here for months and only have one cassette!

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Thanks, yes, I am at a very quiet mooring, carefully selected, there are very few options here, but anyway, I've now got mechanical failure, I had to reverse here.

Good access to the service station,  I may be here for months and only have one cassette!

Buy another cassette, occasionally the elsan can freeze 

19 hours ago, Jerra said:

Foot and mouth if endemic in a country is rarely fatal (when endemic it is beyond containment as we do in UK).   It does however permanently reduce milk yields and make meat animals very difficult/impossible to get up to what we in UK would describe as normal condition for slaughter.

F&M in Uk is "treated" by slaughter and compensation as allowing to become endemic would be too big an economic problem particularly for farmers trying to make a living.

The alternative to slaughter policy is to vaccinate, but that has other issues if there is an outbreak, so in a country like the UK, the slaughter policy works well.

These decisions are taken at top veterinary advisory level though farmers' representatives would be consulted.

8 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Buy another cassette, occasionally the elsan can freeze 

I hope not on this occasion, this one has a heater :) I am the only person here, so it's my very own loo as well. I did think about another cassette, maybe a «wee» one. I have a Excellence loo, which is not the kind of thing I'd want sitting on the cabin roof.

Edited by LadyG

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have a Excellence loo

Great toilet, do you have the manual or electric flush, mine is in red, manual and wondering if worth upgrading to electric flush. Haven’t located spare cassette but the floor mount is great 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

The alternative to slaughter policy is to vaccinate, but that has other issues if there is an outbreak, so in a country like the UK, the slaughter policy works well.

You clearly missed the post where I said my one worry about F&M which I studied closely in 1967 was that the government wouldn't have the guts to go in  hard and fast to keep it in check.    As it happened they did have the guts in 2021 but were IMO a few days slow.    There isn't probably much you can tell me about F&M, it was one of my special studies while training.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

These decisions are taken at top veterinary advisory level though farmers' representatives would be consulted.

8 hours ago, big d said:

Great toilet, do you have the manual or electric flush, mine is in red, manual and wondering if worth upgrading to electric flush. Haven’t located spare cassette but the floor mount is great 

I don't have it floor mounted, and I am OK with the manual

It's interesting how different countries react.  The UK waited till there were 10's of thousands of cases before implementing Stage4/Lockdown.  Here in Queensland we have 1 (ONE) case and Brisbane (plus suburbs) have been put into a full lockdown for at least 3 days -  about 40% of the population.  The reason for the 'panic', it's the UK variant from a returning traveller.

43 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

It's interesting how different countries react.  The UK waited till there were 10's of thousands of cases before implementing Stage4/Lockdown.  Here in Queensland we have 1 (ONE) case and Brisbane (plus suburbs) have been put into a full lockdown for at least 3 days -  about 40% of the population.  The reason for the 'panic', it's the UK variant from a returning traveller.

The UK has a track record of being two weeks behind the action, it won't change. Nicola Sturgeon in Scotland has had a hard time for acting more timeously, and she has not wavered in her message. 

I've never been to Australia, but I am sure that the population is not crammed in to towns and cities, high rise flats, with few recreational spaces. 

The UK is now near the NHS breaking point, but people still think up excuses to avoid changing their behaviours. I no longer go to town, as it is full of these people spreading the disease.

I expect to get my first vaccination end of March if the roll out has no problems, so if, by then, it works in a few weeks, it means I have to be under threat for another ten weeks. I would hope that the national lockdown will have eased the Tier system by then and I can potter about on my boat, but until everything is back to normal, it's still going to be a difficult time.

I know I can expect to go to the big blue cloud above the crematorium in the next few decades, but I can choose not to go via an NHS respirator (once known as an iron lung), in a hospital isolation ward.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've never been to Australia, but I am sure that the population is not crammed in to towns and cities, high rise flats, with few recreational spaces. 

96% of the population is crammed into a 20 mile coastal strip, so yes we are ‘crammed’ into towns and cities.  Granted the population density (just considering populated areas and not the bush where hardly anyone lives) is less than the UK but its not as much as you might think 

16 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

96% of the population is crammed into a 20 mile coastal strip,

Is that right?  Melbourne and Sydney are around 500 miles apart by road and both have populations around 5 million which is more than 4% of the total population.  The cities tend to be far less dense than here too, so even excluding the uninhabited bush, the population density must be far far lower.

Think yourself lucky that you seem to have a government with a degree of competence where the virus is concerned.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Is that right?  Melbourne and Sydney are around 500 miles apart by road and both have populations around 5 million which is more than 4% of the total population.  The cities tend to be far less dense than here too, so even excluding the uninhabited bush, the population density must be far far lower.

Think yourself lucky that you seem to have a government with a degree of competence where the virus is concerned.

Yes but Sydney and Melbourne are both coastal cities, as are Perth, Darwin, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Adalaide etc.  I agree that the cities are less dense than the UK, I'm just commenting that the population is still concentrated in a relatively small strip of land, and the population density is not as low as you might think.

Oh and we do count ourselves very lucky.  Life here (we are not affected by the lockdown) is pretty much as it was pre-covid days

Edited by JJPHG
extra comment
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, JJPHG said:

Yes but Sydney and Melbourne are both coastal cities, as are Perth, Darwin, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Adalaide etc.  I agree that the cities are less dense than the UK, I'm just commenting that the population is still concentrated in a relatively small strip of land, and the population density is not as low as you might think.

Oh and we do count ourselves very lucky.  Life here (we are not affected by the lockdown) is pretty much as it was pre-covid days

But they are having bit of a problem with their quarantine security I understand

Lady G, if you wish to keep passers by from your boat, you need 2 signs. 
WARNING.

This boat has conjunctivitis. 
Please stay away. 
Thank you. 

One placed 2 meters in front an one 2 meters behind the boat.

Ignorant, will be scared off. 
Well informed, will heed the message. 

Bod

2 minutes ago, Bod said:

WARNING.

This boat has conjunctivitis
Please stay away. 
Thank you. 

Bod

I had to wipe my eyes at this one ...

5 minutes ago, Bod said:

WARNING.

This boat has conjunctivitis. 
Please stay away. 
Thank you. 

Bod

To be honest I don't think she will see it.