Lockdown again!

Oddjob

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Midnight said:

If I remember correctly BW closed the towpath at Braunston (probably elsewhere too) when foot and mouth was killing cows. Seems the  pandemic killing people isn't as high on the agenda.

Foot and mouth if endemic in a country is rarely fatal (when endemic it is beyond containment as we do in UK).   It does however permanently reduce milk yields and make meat animals very difficult/impossible to get up to what we in UK would describe as normal condition for slaughter.

F&M in Uk is "treated" by slaughter and compensation as allowing to become endemic would be too big an economic problem particularly for farmers trying to make a living.

Just now, alias said:

Just four farms I think.

Ah.  Good, caught quickly.   My main worry between the 1967 outbreak and the 2001 was the government wouldn't go in hard enough and fast enough fearing backlash from the public for slaughtering animals which wouldn't die from the disease.

There are vaccines but like Covid they mutate and then there are strain with in the types.   If I recall correctly in 67 25 types and about 60 strains (however that is from ancient memory).   So the problem with vaccinating is like flu you have to guess which of the strains is likely to arrive (there are probably many more now).

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Ah.  Good, caught quickly.   My main worry between the 1967 outbreak and the 2001 was the government wouldn't go in hard enough and fast enough fearing backlash from the public for slaughtering animals which wouldn't die from the disease.

There are vaccines but like Covid they mutate and then there are strain with in the types.   If I recall correctly in 67 25 types and about 60 strains (however that is from ancient memory).   So the problem with vaccinating is like flu you have to guess which of the strains is likely to arrive (there are probably many more now).

Encouragingly, the 2007 cases were found early by routine surveillance introduced as a lesson learned after the 2001 outbreak.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

You have no understanding of disease control.

Even Boris knows that people spray disease from their lungs, and joggers are more likely to spray further than walkers.

I don't go to the supermarket as they are hubs for disease transmission. I think you sill find that the UK  government know that, it's a can of worms, easily stopped by making supermarkets delivery only, doorstep or at the supermarket car park. Allowing families to do family shopping in the normal way only encourages the idea that the disease control measures are adequate. If they were adequate the disease would be under control.

To ‘ spray’ infection first of all you have to be ill.

Secondly you have to be well enough ( symptom free ) to want to go jogging.

Thirdly people have to want to go past your boat, and at the same time cough or sneeze.

And fourthly you have to be standing outside ( possibly berating those who live in the area and have rights) and take a sodding great gulp of air that contains their exhaled particles.

So its your risk, you should be indoors.

Your right to personal space is only that of the footprint of your boat not the towpath around it.

However when you go to a supermarket, which may be air conditioned,  you are breathing the exhaled air of however many hundreds visited the supermarket before, and during your presence.

Secondly ( and less relevant) droplets from infected people are likely to land on products and fittings inside the shop and get picked up by contact, where as on the towpath they will land on the ground, breaking the hand/ mouth transmission.

Even the simplest person can see the worst transmission zone would be crowded indoor gyms, but I havent seen much evidence of it.

What I have seen is clear evidence of viral load being distributed inside  restaurants by aircon systems.

All scientific evidence currently available indicates that outdoor exercise is safe, particularly with social distancing.

Thats why it is encouraged.

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Cows have economic value. People don't! The current virus has a preference for killing very old, or sick people, both of which cost more money than they make. Hence the relative lack of concern.

I dont think the virus is transmitted by mud on your boots.

Edited by ditchcrawler

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I had at least one jogger per hour, and numerous walkers using the grassy bit of towpath very close to my boat, so I put out lines of obstructions to stop them, it looks untidy, but it keeps them away. Should I put up posters to tell them why I am "vulnerable"?

Are you obstructing the towpath?

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

I had at least one jogger per hour, and numerous walkers using the grassy bit of towpath very close to my boat, so I put out lines of obstructions to stop them, it looks untidy, but it keeps them away. Should I put up posters to tell them why I am "vulnerable"?

Surely the metal sides and closed windows on your boat will prevent any covid droplets reaching you?  Why do you need to make an obstacle course for towpath users to negotiate?   If the towpath surface is anything like here, people will walk on the grass as it will be less slippy and thus safer. Hope no one slips and falls because you are forcing them to keep off the grass  beside your boat.

haggis

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Lock Down Ginger, they call it.

Allegedly.

when i was a lad we used to tie cotton from one door knocker to the one across the road from it and when car went past pulled both knockers... ah those were the days.....!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

when i was a lad we used to tie cotton from one door knocker to the one across the road from it and when car went past pulled both knockers... ah those were the days.....!

That was before the arrival of television in Norfolk, I guess?

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

No. You really need take no action to safeguard yourself beyond not letting them into your boat, but close the windows that side if it makes you feel better.

You really should not be setting traps for folk walking by - they are no threat to you, and only the police force should be taking any enforcement action where warranted. 

Stay safe Lady G, but try not to let paranoia creep in as it's probably more of a threat than the virus if you're not sharing indoor space with others. :)

The CRT  have posters asking people not to go too close to boats, when I say near, I mean within 18 inches of the cabin sides. There are no  traps, there are laths of white wood set 12 inches from the arnmco, if they can't see them they would need to be blind.. They have a good ten feet of towpath to run on, but it is muddy, that is due to folks out exercising, I have no objection to them doing this, but I expect you would not like joggers running very close past you, and I expect you would tell them to keep away.

The disease is spread by people being too close to each other, and not taking any precautions, 

This is not paranoia, it 's due diligence.

Edited by LadyG
  • Unimpressed 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

They were the days, we could only do one as no houses the other side

1 hour ago, Athy said:

That was before the arrival of television in Norfolk, I guess?

They were the days

48 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The CRT  have posters asking people not to go too close to boats, when I say near, I mean within 18 inches of the cabin sides. There are no  traps, there are laths of white wood set 12 inches from the arnmco, if they can't see them they would need to be blind.. They have a good ten feet of towpath to run on, but it is muddy, that is due to folks out exercising, I have no objection to them doing this, but I expect you would not like joggers running very close past you, and I expect you would tell them to keep away.

The disease is spread by people being too close to each other, and not taking any precautions, 

No, that is all your paranoia. When you are inside your steel tube you are perfectly safe, no matter how close people get to it.
If you don't like people getting close then move your boat somewhere else.
As I said, I'd be ripping your pathetic white sticks up and chucking them away, since you have no rights to stop anyone using the full width of the path.

Edited by Graham Davis
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

So what about people who actually are blind then?

Dont they matter?

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Just to check: where do you understand that the towpath starts, working from the water's edge?