Lockdown again!

Oddjob

Featured Posts

I had at least one jogger per hour, and numerous walkers using the grassy bit of towpath very close to my boat, so I put out lines of obstructions to stop them, it looks untidy, but it keeps them away. Should I put up posters to tell them why I am "vulnerable"?

Edited by LadyG
  • Angry 1

8 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Cows have economic value. People don't! The current virus has a preference for killing very old, or sick people, both of which cost more money than they make. Hence the relative lack of concern.

Equally the government isn't paying compensation for people who caught the disease as they did for livestock (because they slaughtered the livestock).

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Equally the government isn't paying compensation for people who caught the disease as they did for livestock (because they slaughtered the livestock).

The F&M has similarities,as it is a virus, but cattle live on farms, live in sheds, have food delivered, it was the cattle who went to market who spread the disease. I could compare the unscrupulous cattle dealers and farmers who conived in the disease spread, to the idiots who have organised illegal raves for selfish financial gain.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I had at least one jogger per hour, and numerous walkers using the grassy bit of towpath very close to my boat, so I put out lines of obstructions to stop them, it looks untidy, but it keeps them away. Should I put up posters to tell them why I am "vulnerable"?

You are more vulnerable in the supermarket  unless you choose to stand there breathing in the exhales of the walkers.

If your actions cause an accident then you will be far more at risk.

Aerosols dissipate fast outside.

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

You are more vulnerable in the supermarket  unless you choose to stand there breathing in the exhales of the walkers.

If your actions cause an accident then you will be far more at risk.

Aerosols dissipate fast outside.

You have no understanding of disease control.

Even Boris knows that people spray disease from their lungs, and joggers are more likely to spray further than walkers.

I don't go to the supermarket as they are hubs for disease transmission. I think you sill find that the UK  government know that, it's a can of worms, easily stopped by making supermarkets delivery only, doorstep or at the supermarket car park. Allowing families to do family shopping in the normal way only encourages the idea that the disease control measures are adequate. If they were adequate the disease would be under control.

Edited by Athy
Removal of personal insult.
  • Angry 1

22 minutes ago, Tonka said:

The last F & M outbreak was caused by a leak from a laboratory at Pirbright.  We don't know where covid come from but selfish people are helping it to cull us

That is as may be, but it is extremely unlikely as Purbright have extreme disease precautions, and many countries in the world have F&M  as an endemic disease.

There is , or was F&M endemic all over the world. 

The UK has decided not to vaccinate, but to slaughter, which works unless people elect to ignore rules for financial gain.

The disease was spread by cattle being transported all over the UK by dealers and farmers who kept poor records. 

That is why every cloven hooved beast now has a passport number, and has to be idetified as an individual, and there are strict quarantine arrangements. That will not stop some determined idiot picking up an infected animal from abroad, but it has prevented mass outbreaks in the U K for many years.

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That is as may be, but it is extremely unlikely as Purbright have extreme disease precautions, and many countries in the world have F&M  as an endemic disease.

The UK has decided not to vaccinate, but to slaughter, which works unless people elect to ignore rules for financial gain.

The disease was spread by cattle being transported all over the UK by dealers and farmers who kept poor records. 

That is why every beast now has a passport number, and has to be idetified as an individual, and there are strict quarantine arrangements. That will not stop some determined idiot picking up an infected animal from abroad, but it has prevented mass outbreaks in the U K for many years.

Check your facts before quoting.

22 minutes ago, Tonka said:

The last F & M outbreak was caused by a leak from a laboratory at Pirbright.  We don't know where covid come from but selfish people are helping it to cull us

Is this an outbreak since 2001?    If not it didn't start from Pirbright it started on a pig farm in Northumberland and quickly spread country wide because the farmers either not knowing or criminally spread it by selling pigs nation wide.

Do you have a reference for the Pirbright leak it is the first I have heard of it and since the 1967 outbreak I have paid great attention to the cases and have no knowledge of that one.

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That is why every beast now has a passport number, and has to be idetified as an individual, and there are strict quarantine arrangements. That will not stop some determined idiot picking up an infected animal from abroad, but it has prevented mass outbreaks in the U K for many years.

Not cattle pigs if we are talking about the 2001 outbreak.  Pigs are difficult as they do not show as clear symptoms as cattle or sheep.

The 1967 outbreak seemed to stem from a train carrying meat from Liverpool docks in a SE direction and the cases plumed out from there.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

FFS!!
If you are inside your boat and they are walking passed then they are NO danger to you, whether you are vulnerable or not. Even if you were on the rear deck and they were walking passed they would be causing no danger. If we follow your "logic" perhaps we should close half the pavements in this town because peoples front doors open directly onto the pavement.
If I found your obstructions I would be throwing them onto your boat. 

45 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Is this an outbreak since 2001?    If not it didn't start from Pirbright it started on a pig farm in Northumberland and quickly spread country wide because the farmers either not knowing or criminally spread it by selling pigs nation wide.

Do you have a reference for the Pirbright leak it is the first I have heard of it and since the 1967 outbreak I have paid great attention to the cases and have no knowledge of that one.

Not cattle pigs if we are talking about the 2001 outbreak.  Pigs are difficult as they do not show as clear symptoms as cattle or sheep.

The 1967 outbreak seemed to stem from a train carrying meat from Liverpool docks in a SE direction and the cases plumed out from there.

There was an outbreak in 2007 which was leaked from a pipe at the Pirbright institute.  Just google pirbright foot and mouth and there it is.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

No. You really need take no action to safeguard yourself beyond not letting them into your boat, but close the windows that side if it makes you feel better.

You really should not be setting traps for folk walking by - they are no threat to you, and only the police force should be taking any enforcement action where warranted. 

Stay safe Lady G, but try not to let paranoia creep in as it's probably more of a threat than the virus if you're not sharing indoor space with others. :)

• Greenie 2

57 minutes ago, Jerra said:

2007, and rapidly contained. https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn12615-faulty-pipe-blamed-for-uk-foot-and-mouth-outbreak/

28 minutes ago, Tonka said:

There was an outbreak in 2007 which was leaked from a pipe at the Pirbright institute.  Just google pirbright foot and mouth and there it is.

Thank you.  I assume it must have been fairly small as it never made any national news I heard/saw.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Just checking you know that CRT allow you to move to a less busy location, you do not have to stay there if you don’t want to.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

The F&M has similarities,as it is a virus, but cattle live on farms, live in sheds, have food delivered, it was the cattle who went to market who spread the disease. I could compare the unscrupulous cattle dealers and farmers who conived in the disease spread, to the idiots who have organised illegal raves for selfish financial gain.

Presumably you are talking about the small outbreak in 2007 which I had somehow missed.   2001 was undoubtedly pigs (free range IIRC) and the cause was at one point blamed on a "flying ham sandwich" in other words similar to the 1967 outbreak infected meat from abroad discarded by walkers/picnickers.

4 hours ago, Midnight said:

If I remember correctly BW closed the towpath at Braunston (probably elsewhere too) when foot and mouth was killing cows. 

The government were also culling the infected and burning them in pits in the fields.  I'm not sure this would be a great idea for dealing with Covid ...

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

You have no understanding of disease control.

Even Boris knows that people spray disease from their lungs, and joggers are more likely to spray further than walkers.

I don't go to the supermarket as they are hubs for disease transmission. I think you sill find that the UK  government know that, it's a can of worms, easily stopped by making supermarkets delivery only, doorstep or at the supermarket car park. Allowing families to do family shopping in the normal way only encourages the idea that the disease control measures are adequate. If they were adequate the disease would be under