Lockdown again!

Oddjob

Featured Posts

Nice to see CRT again telling people to use tow paths for their well being. What about my well being have all sorts coming past my front door! CRT not bothering to think about boaters well being. 
At the moment moored up on the offside so good but as we know these are rare, also only access is from canal and we are alone here so very happy. 

6 minutes ago, Oddjob said:

Nice to see CRT again telling people to use tow paths for their well being. What about my well being have all sorts coming past my front door! CRT not bothering to think about boaters well being. 
At the moment moored up on the offside so good but as we know these are rare, also only access is from canal and we are alone here so very happy. 

Yes and they shouldn't walk in the countryside past my cottage

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes and they shouldn't walk in the countryside past my cottage

Nor along the many urban streets of older terraces of houses where the front door opens directly from the street. Some of these are areas with higher infection rates.

1 hour ago, Oddjob said:

As you have managed to find somewhere away from the towpath, I struggle to understand why you are expressing concern. We always sought to find a mooring away from habitation or nearby road bridge access when cruising. It isn't difficult at this time of year, especially with most recreational boats locked in their marinas.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Oddjob said:

If they are walking past and not stopping, and you are inside your boat, what danger are they causing? 
Perhaps all houses that open straight onto pavements should ban all pedestrians as well?

• Greenie 1

Given the state of many towpaths at the minute, I doubt you will find it difficult to moor where there is little footfall. Then again, if you're looking for a nice paved path close to access points, you are in the same position as many city dwellers who front onto pavements or don't even have access to anything but a tiny balcony 5 floors up. You can at least move.

Edited by Ex Brummie
  • Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

Stay in your home and local exercise rules say funny being so far out in the country and tow path still like M25 all locals yea right. Just like the numties driving from London to walk up Snowdon. 
Anyway stay safe as most comments from marina moored owners or house owning boaters who only go to the boat once in 6 months to check that’s it’s still afloat, then there posters who don’t even have a boat! Say no more. 

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

A white paper boilersuit/painting suit would have really added to the fear factor ...

Scuba tanks for extra points!

I'm curious why only one hand is worth protecting, what does he do with that hand that makes it so special, I think we need to....

Actually maybe we don't need to know

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, tree monkey said:

I'm curious why only one hand is worth protecting, what does he do with that hand that makes it so special, I think we need to....

Actually maybe we don't need to know

No, we don't need to know why his right hand is tougher than his left so doesn't need protecting.

We might need to know why he's stood so far into the tiller arc though ... maybe he's new at this! ;)

• Greenie 2

18 hours ago, Tonka said:

In the first lock down crt limited the towpath use in the Braunston area apparently. Not sure why and whether there were over places

If I remember correctly BW closed the towpath at Braunston (probably elsewhere too) when foot and mouth was killing cows. Seems the  pandemic killing people isn't as high on the agenda.

42 minutes ago, Midnight said:

If I remember correctly BW closed the towpath at Braunston (probably elsewhere too) when foot and mouth was killing cows. Seems the  pandemic killing people isn't as high on the agenda.

If they close the towpath in 2001 (F&M) how did that work for boaters?  We were stuck up here in Cumbria.

13 minutes ago, Jerra said:

If they close the towpath in 2001 (F&M) how did that work for boaters?  We were stuck up here in Cumbria.

During F&M the towpath was closed to everyone, except boaters, who were issued with sachets of a disinfectant which had to be dissolved in a bowl of water. They then had to dunk their boots into the bowl of disinfectant every time they used the towpath. Boaters were also encouraged to move as little as neeccessary, we were overwintering at Thrupp at the time, and had to stay there until the outbreak was over.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

During F&M the towpath was closed to everyone, except boaters, who were issued with sachets of a disinfectant which had to be dissolved in a bowl of water. They then had to dunk their boots into the bowl of disinfectant every time they used the towpath. Boaters were also encouraged to move as little as neeccessary, we were overwintering at Thrupp at the time, and had to stay there until the outbreak was over.

Ah.   That makes sense.  In the 67 outbreak which I was studying the disease was prevented from crossing the Severn by disinfectant on the bridges in Worcester.

14 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Habit: he's a closet golfer. 

He also shouts "Whack!" shortly followed by "F@*#!" randomly, but it's not Tourette's.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Cows have economic value. People don't! The current virus has a preference for killing very old, or sick people, both of which cost more money than they make. Hence the relative lack of concern.

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Cows have economic value. People don't! The current virus has a preference for killing very old, or sick people, both of which cost more money than they make. Hence the relative lack of concern.

Different transmission route. Through contact on ground.

car tyres and feet.

Used to have to disinfect wheels and shoes.

Cows cant socially distance. 
people can make choices and unfortunately many chose to put their own family at risk over christmas.

• Greenie 1