Divert towpath for slipway

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Tacet said:

There is no bridge across the entrance to the Welford moorings. 

Whether the footpath around  the basin is a towpath is a matter for debate and discussion.   I suppose it also depends on whether the basin forms part of the canal

If I rephrase it "to follow the canal along the towpath..." rather than the path being the towpath it is a diversion because the towpath is not continuous?

7 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Superb bit of mooring by the CanalTime boat!

Canal Yime look like they use 3 random words for their boat names. It might catch on - there's a few no name boats on the cut that could use  "What Three Words" to generate them a name without ever needing to change it!

10 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

If I rephrase it "to follow the canal along the towpath..." rather than the path being the towpath it is a diversion because the towpath is not continuous?

The 1885 OS map shows the towpath  as continuous alongside the brick works, which were disused by the time of the next edition. There is no connection shown - I assume that the marina was created later but the winding hole is 'original' so presumably there was quite a bot of traffic from the brick works at some time.

9 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

The 1885 OS map shows the towpath  as continuous alongside the brick works, which were disused by the time of the next edition. There is no connection shown - I assume that the marina was created later but the winding hole is 'original' so presumably there was quite a bot of traffic from the brick works at some time.

The OS 1:25,000 map in my Nicholson's guide says Pit  (dis) by it, which is more evidence that it was repurposed to become a marina.

1 hour ago, Tacet said:

There is no bridge across the entrance to the Welford moorings. 

Whether the footpath around  the basin is a towpath is a matter for debate and discussion.   I suppose it also depends on whether the basin forms part of the canal

I thought there USE to be one

The bridge over the marina entrance at Welford has indeed been removed, so the towpath does go round the moorings.

There was a plan to replace the ladder bridge at Braunston with a wheel chair friendly type - and move the ladder bridge to Welford.

But that hasn't happened yet.

1 hour ago, jake_crew said:

The bridge over the marina entrance at Welford has indeed been removed, so the towpath does go round the moorings.

There was a plan to replace the ladder bridge at Braunston with a wheel chair friendly type - and move the ladder bridge to Welford.

But that hasn't happened yet.

Hasn't most of the money been absorbed in planning the new bridge?

https://www.towpathtalk.co.uk/statement-on-the-replacement-of-the-ladder-bridge-at-braunston/

Edited by ditchcrawler

On 06/01/2021 at 12:31, David Mack said:

Well there was 13 years ago, although I doubt you'd want to take a horse over it.

592044_b8e4a58a.jpg

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/592044

On 06/01/2021 at 12:35, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Superb bit of mooring by the CanalTime boat!

I'll bet he tied his centre rope to the bridge.

Probably explains why it is no longer there. He forgot to untie it when letting go, in Timothy West style.

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

I'll bet he tied his centre rope to the bridge.

Probably explains why it is no longer there. He forgot to untie it when letting go, in Timothy West style.

The correct way to moor there would have been to tie the bow rope to the bridge on the other side of the marina entrance.

Jen ?

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Hasn't most of the money been absorbed in planning the new bridge?

https://www.towpathtalk.co.uk/statement-on-the-replacement-of-the-ladder-bridge-at-braunston/

The replacement for the ladder bridge is going to cost more than £300,000???? Something seriously wrong there!

Are drawings of the proposed replacement available to view?

14 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

They've probably spent £300k already on feasibility studies and consultants etc.

You don't much for a million these days, its only 4 weeks work from footballers.

Yes - one on the news last night was being paid £350k per week and he hadn't played since last March.

£18,000,000 a year to do nothing - I could put up with that.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

The replacement for the ladder bridge is going to cost more than £300,000???? Something seriously wrong there!

Are drawings of the proposed replacement available to view?

Don't forget that it is intended to provide step-free access with wheelchair width which will take a much larger structure.