hair dryer

dreadnought

Featured Posts

hi all,me and the mrs are going to cc later in the year,fingers crossed,she asked me about having a hair dryer i thought no probs but its not that easy,they are quite power hungry,so i was wondering what other boaters  use or could recommend ,tia cheers

3 minutes ago, dreadnought said:

hi all,me and the mrs are going to cc later in the year,fingers crossed,she asked me about having a hair dryer i thought no probs but its not that easy,they are quite power hungry,so i was wondering what other boaters  use or could recommend ,tia cheers

Head out of the window and ful throttle.

• Haha 1

My wife uses a 700 W  "travel hairdryer".  Whilst it draws quite a bit of power, it is only on for a short while so doesn't impact much on the batteries.  She usually checks with me that it is ok to use, which it normally is.

My long-haired Admiral has a Vidal Sassoon hot air styling brush, less than 20 quid from Boots, which draws 185 watts iirc. It does a pretty decent job of finishing drying and styling partly dried hair. She also has straighteners that draw so little I can't remember - maybe 55w?  Both of these I'm happy to be used from the batteries.

She has a regular hair dryer for use when we're cruising or on shore supply.

Edited by Sea Dog

1 hour ago, dreadnought said:

This is an easy one. My first wife needed hairdryers and nail varnish and crap like that so I traded her in for the present model. She's is a little older but more robust and doesn't need rubbish like hairdryers. Do it now it will save you time and grief in the long run. 

• Love 1

Gillie has a big jobbie that can just about run on the TravelPower if we turn everything else off. Its rarely used. I have a smaller cheaper mains one for drying out the bilge and floorboards after any spillages/leaks etc. The dog has a zip up toweling bag that she gets put in after a shower.

As mentioned above, a "styling brush" by Braun etc is the way to go. These are dead cheap and work well on not much power so are fine on an inverter, they are a sort of electrically heated hair brush. The only problem is that they are only good for hair, they have no engineering purpose, and everything on a boat should do at least two things.?

.........Dave

Hairdryers can be heavy on POWER, but they're not big ENERGY users because they are typically used infrequently for short periods. Supplying the Angry Pixies for a 24 hour period of laptop or fridge use is much more difficult than for a hairdryer.  Just buy a hairdryer whose power rating is a bit smaller than your inverter, or buy an inverter that's a bit bigger than you chosen hairdryer - simples.

MP.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Buy a boat with an air cooled Lister engine and stick your head in front of the hot air outlet duct? ?

Yes. Other uses include, getting dough to rise, saving heating in autumn, and drying clothes.

The mild aroma of hot oil is the only drawback, or when your fluorescent cycling top lands in the bilge. 

23 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Buy a boat with an air cooled Lister engine and stick your head in front of the hot air outlet duct? ?

You may jest, but I have been telling MrsBiscuit I will fit a long narrow hose to the Webasto AirTop so she can have a diesel powered hairdryer.  For nearly seven years now ... it's a rush job!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You may jest, but I have been telling MrsBiscuit I will fit a long narrow hose to the Webasto AirTop so she can have a diesel powered hairdryer.  For nearly seven years now ... it's a rush job!

Should I say this?

Use an Ecofan as a hair dryer.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wizzer said:

Low heat setting and high fan speed is the solution we have come up with. It seems to satisfy those who need it.

Depends on the dryer.

Some just switch a diode in which shorts out one half of the sine wave many inverters get very shirty when you do this.

On 04/01/2021 at 12:10, dreadnought said:

C uses a Wazor travel dryer rated at 900w works well, in fact she uses the same one at home.

This one but its out of stock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wazor-Hairdryer-Lightweight-Powerful-Attachment/dp/B01D8EQRLK

This one is similar

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lightweight-Travel-Including-Diffuser-Concentrator/dp/B089SWPDH1

Edited by Loddon