Boat sinks “lock keeper bang out of order”

PD1964

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, David Mack said:

What about all the boaters who pay CRT for a home mooring on the publicly accessible towpath then? Or places like Braunston Marina where there is nothing other than perhaps a Private notice to stop anybody wandering onto the boat moorings?

You "makes your choice, pays your money and hopes for the best".

Personally I prefer a marina with a big fence and locked gates.

Others may think differently

Being a very deep lock the level changes enormously immediately below it as this graph from the recent flooding shows. 

Looks like 2m+ of variation which is too much to deal with if the boat is not securely correctly and there are no riser poles ..

It's the LAST place you would want to leave a boat. Probably one of the worst places on the entire river. Above the lock would have been infinitely better. 

Screenshot_2021-01-06-14-06-44-700_com.android.chrome.png.0453df9cb9bb453a8be5ead51df9fd51.png

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Being a very deep lock the level changes enormously immediately below it as this graph from the recent flooding shows. 

Looks like 2m+ of variation which is too much to deal with if the boat is not securely correctly and there are no riser poles ..

It's the LAST place you would want to leave a boat. Probably one of the worst places on the entire river. Above the lock would have been infinitely better. 

I have to admit, never knew about that app site. Probably the last one in the world to find it. ?

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

I have to admit, never knew about that app site. Probably the last one in the world to find it. ?

It's very good!  A few of the gauges measure flows rather than levels, which I find quite helpful. For example this one at Kingston shows the flow over  Teddington weir.  On 1st January and thereabouts you can see the flow dip every twelve hours, which concides with the tide making a level at Teddington  (0400 and 1615 GMT). The graph peaks at 300 tonnes a second, which is quite a bit.

PS many of the sites tweet twice a day, so you can "follow" them on Twitter and get regular alerts.

https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1249/1382/2020-12-31/2021-01-06

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Higgs said:

Health and Safety - Were there any signs to indicate dangers? 

As there is no certification to distinguish the competent from the incompetent, I'd have to blame the licensing authority. Everyone who knew about the dangers of the mooring below the lock would have a certain experience this couple didn't have. 

........... so you would support a proliferation of silly signs.   I suppose you will be supporting the provision of handrails along the Thames wherever the public may reasonably make access next.  

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Long Spring lines do the job.

We moor against a wall and the ladder has 12 rungs (at 1' spacing' between the 'low water level and the top of the wall) it is not an uncommon occurance see see a movement of 6-8 feet in a single day. In October we had the water level rise to  within 1 rung of the top of the wall due to wind, pressure and 'fresh' running into the marina.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

........... so you would support a proliferation of silly signs.   I suppose you will be supporting the provision of handrails along the Thames wherever the public may reasonably make access next.  

Might have caused the couple to wonder whether what they were doing was worth a second thought, at the time. I wouldn't suggest putting the signs up in your living room. 

Edited by Higgs

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Long Spring lines do the job.

Yes that's what I meant by "secured correctly" but in that location and with that much change of level as someone mentioned earlier a 2ft deep flat bottomed boat may be in danger of ending up on the bank then falling over when the level drops. 

There is also the risk of the side decks of a canal boat being wedged under the wooden trim above the piling in this particular instance if the boat is not properly fendered. You actually need quite large ball type fenders or rod buoys to do that in this location. 

ETA as it is not on the River itself but in a lock cut there is no water flow to use to help hold the boat away from the side. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's not just experience they didn't have, though, it's the intelligence to do a bit of research.  I think they'd had the boat three months, that's long enough to learn that rivers go up and down, and also that you need to keep it somewhere safe, rather than just dumping it on the towpath and going back to the house when it rains.  That is, after all, why all he advice is to sort out your mooring before you buy your boat, unless you're going to be a pretend continuous cruiser.

And as I have said before, I can never understand why someone would leave a multi thousand pound investment lying about, in a public place, with no protection, for weeks. It's like me leaving a twenty thousand pound guitar on a table in a Liverpool pub and expecting it to be there when I wander back for a gig the next weekend. (NB no particular reason for picking Liverpool, except that someone stole my hat last time I played there.)

That's your fault for going to Liverpool and playing (using your argument!)

• 5 months later...
On 05/01/2021 at 00:12, David Mack said:

She says in the video that RCR will charge a couple of thousand if when the river level has dropped the water is down to the level of the windows, so they can just block openings with tarpaulins and pump like mad. If it is sunk deeper they need to get divers and airbags in then that will cost around £8k.

I was surprised that their third party insurance wouldn't cover basic revovery costs - I thought it was a CRT requirement that the minimum insurance included salvage, and Iassume EA requirements for the Thames would be similar.

She is still working to get the boat looking good 

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

She is still working to get the boat looking good 

As I started this thread, I must admit that I admire their “get on with it” attitude and it’s good to see a newbie young boater that has not moaned, felt sorry for herself and set up some sort of donations

page, good effort and hopefully they’ll get there.

If you want to see a whinging Vogger have a look at this guy, this Vlog shows how clueless he is with his dipstick botch. I don’t think many on the canal are fans.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, PD1964 said:

If you want to see a whinging Vogger have a look at this guy, this Vlog shows how clueless he is with his dipstick botch. I don’t think many on the canal are fans.

I thought you'd made a typo there and was referring to his other half....I thought it described her quite well........

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

I thought you'd made a typo there and was referring to his other half....I thought it described her quite well........

?oh with a comment like that you’ll have the wrath of their non boating, clueless followers to deal with. I’ve never seen a more whinging hard done by pair, hopefully they’ll realise life on the canal involves a lot of waiting around and no-one is interested in them or what they think and go home to Brighton.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

?oh with a comment like that you’ll have the wrath of their non boating, clueless followers to deal with. I’ve never seen a more whinging hard done by pair, hopefully they’ll realise life on the canal involves a lot of waiting around and no-one is interested in them or what they think and go home to Brighton.

I was going to watch that episode just to amuse myself...but I read the comments and decided my blood pressure might go off the scale and I would only add to their viewing figures....Just the opening still was enough to guess what the content would be babbling on about.

For a pair of vloggers who don’t take criticism well they are more than happy to slag off a marina without actually providing evidence all under the safety blanket of “not naming it” but showing loads of identification via aerial shots and location info. No skill and obviously lots of cash to keep buying kit for boat while feeding of patrons. (in east anglia we have lots of families with money who pay to ship off idiot sons and daughters away from family). Glad to see the original vloggers got the Boat floated and doing the work, knowing every screw in a build and the run of wires etc means your part of the boat, blood sweat and tears. Or just get another 50k off daddy buy another boat that you know nothing about 

On 02/07/2021 at 15:05, PD1964 said:

As I started this thread, I must admit that I admire their “get on with it” attitude and it’s good to see a newbie young boater that has not moaned, felt sorry for herself and set up some sort of donations

page, good effort and hopefully they’ll get there.

I se they are doing boat reviews now 

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I se they are doing boat reviews now 

Quite strange this, ABNB cant sell this boat, ABNB have recently moved to North Kilworth...where Matt and Ali have recently had some work done.....which the previous video may or may not have referenced.....

However, it did give me a good idea on cabin redesign to get my keyboard out from under the bed

Edited by matty40s

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Quite strange this, ABNB cant sell this boat, ABNB have recently moved to North Kilworth...where Matt and Ali have recently had some work done.....which the previous video may or may not have referenced.....

However, it did give me a good idea on cabin redesign to get my keyboard out from under the bed

According to Abnb website it’s now under offer. 

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

They didn’t mention the place by name but basically said it was sh£t and slagged it off, paid them £4K for unsatisfactory work and bad workmanship. I doubt they would be welcomed back.

Edited by PD1964

On 02/07/2021 at 18:18, frangar said:

No definitely “Dipstick Botch” as in the Vlog and not “Dipstick Bitch” as some may of thought as also one in the Vlog.